Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Spaghetti squash.
  • leahs828
    leahs828 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check out Carba Nada Al Dente, I order it on Amazon in bulk!
  • she_lived_wholly_forevermore
    Options
    Miracle noodles are ok. Zero cals but the texture is kinda weird. I've discovered kelp noodles which were 15 cals for the entire bag and I enjoyed those more.
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    More cool options, thanks!! fun tasting times ahead :)
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    We use Soba noodles instead of spaghetti and love it.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Yup, lots of veggies (whatever's laying around or in my freezer)- I find it more satisfying if they're simmered in the sauce, not just dropped in right before serving. Extra garlic and spices too. Without a spiralizer, grated veggies like zucchini cook fast too.

Have you tried eating slower with a smaller utensil? It really does work for me. Use a small fork or spoon, and actually taste each bite. Focus on the food, not tv, computer, whatever other distractions are around (maybe not people though). Gives your stomach and brain time to chat and realize you're eating enough.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Great responses everyone thanks so much!!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Lol, for sure that would work!!
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    no replacing real pasta for me. But I do stretch it using my spriralizer (zoodles) or w/ raw shredded cabbage. I like the crunch

I have kids so there is some pasta around my house
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Some people find shirataki noodles to be a good replacement for pasta. They have zero calories, but the taste and the texture can be really off-putting to some people. Even those who eat them won't say they taste exactly like pasta.

When I'm wanting to reduce the calories in a dish, I will often make vegetable noodles with my spiralizer. Zucchini or cucumber work really well, I've also seen people do butternut squash, sweet potatoes, or even beets.

Or you can just follow the advice above and remind your body that your brain is in charge of what you eat. I find that mixing lots of vegetables and protein (beans or tofu for me, you can use whatever you enjoy) with my pasta helps me be satisfied with a reasonable serving.

I'm addicted to the shirataki noodles/rice. I just started eating this a couple of weeks ago. I eat the House Foods brand that has tofu in it. The tofu makes the texture better.

I also use the Better Than brand and Miracle brand for the rice.
  • leejoyce31
    Options
    Cbestinme wrote: »
    Some people find shirataki noodles to be a good replacement for pasta. They have zero calories, but the taste and the texture can be really off-putting to some people. Even those who eat them won't say they taste exactly like pasta.

When I'm wanting to reduce the calories in a dish, I will often make vegetable noodles with my spiralizer. Zucchini or cucumber work really well, I've also seen people do butternut squash, sweet potatoes, or even beets.

Or you can just follow the advice above and remind your body that your brain is in charge of what you eat. I find that mixing lots of vegetables and protein (beans or tofu for me, you can use whatever you enjoy) with my pasta helps me be satisfied with a reasonable serving.

Are these shirataki noodles a specialty item in special stores?

Zucchini pasta sounds interesting - I may have to ask how you make the vegetable noodles?

I did throw in lots of vegetables in my meal it was 800 calories total, half for the pasta alone, other half for yummy stuff, protein, veggies, sauce :)

I think the advice is maybe add even more vegetables? Ok lol. Or *gasp eat only one serving of pasta? Before brain trains body to be happy with less, what tricks are there?

I purchase my rice from Amazon. I think lots of people purchase from Asian stores. I purchase the House Food brand from Whole Foods or Kroger in the section near the tofu.
  • leejoyce31
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JinjoJoey wrote: »
    You can find Shirataki noodles at most Walmart stores. I just started buying them last month and although, they aren't identical to real pasta, obviously, they're pretty damn good. The ones I buy at Walmart are 15 calories per serving and two servings per bag. It's a pretty big bag for 30 calories. Last night, I had two bags for 60 calories and a chicken broth cube for 5 calories. All in all, 65 calories for something that tasted extremely close to Ramen noodles. I've also had them with spaghetti sauce which is pretty darn good too, all things considered. I was a pretty picky eater in the past as well, so the fact that I don't mind having these should tell you something. I've not tried the 0 calorie ones, though. Like others have mentioned, just rinse them thoroughly in a strainer before you boil or whatever. Once you season them with something, add a sauce or broth, you don't notice any odd flavors anyway. I'm, honestly, so happy I found these things!

I agree. I'm delighted I found them. I use them with everything. I haven't had them with any Asian dishes at all. I've had the rice with white bean chili and beef pot roast. It was to die for.

Yesterday I had the noodles with beef in a merlot gravy. Today, I am having the spaghetti today with laughing cow cheese and delicate squash on top. Can't wait!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Only pasta that I can fit in is Spaghetti squash. I have actually grown to like it.
  • kekeke123
    kekeke123 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    soy noodles or lentil noodles!!
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Edemame noodles may not be lower calorie, but are high in fiber and protein. Zucchini or sweet potato spiralized or spaghetti squash make great pasta substitutions without the guilt :wink:
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    wow thanks again so many more cool options, lentil & edamame noodles, spaghetti squash!! will have to try all these - yummy variety! & merlot gravy sounds so tasty!!
  • not_my_first_rodeo
    not_my_first_rodeo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat real pasta still. Just a lot less of it.