Powerlifters!

Options
124»

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Oh, forgot my favourite PL site: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/ it has a lot of information that you should find very helpful.

^ This site is underrated IMO. TONS of great info here ^

I stumbled upon it when looking for a good program and he has great reviews and gives good insight into the underlying theory and practice of programming so you can see where the programs are strong and weak. That's great information!
  • butterbuns123
    butterbuns123 Posts: 150 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

How dare you insult the beauty of the high bar squat!
    Jk but for real..
    The most important decision you will make in the gym is: natty or not.

I thought it was spot or not. ;)

Hmmm, I thought it was high bar or low bar squats :D

We don't go there! :lol:

Because the answer is always low bar

• _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Jk but for real..

I actually squat high bar, but all that means is that I'm doing it wrong. :expressionless:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Jk but for real..

I actually squat high bar, but all that means is that I'm doing it wrong. :expressionless:

I do high bar for Olympic Lifting and low for powerlifting. Best of both worlds and both are wrong so they are both right or some type of twisted logic like that!
  • _incogNEATo_
    Options
    OP - I just went back and read some of your initial posts and I would just like to re-stress the point of really familiarizing yourself with the three lifts that make up a powerlifting meet. It looks like you're doing a 5x5 program which is more than acceptable, but leads me to believe you may be fairly new to lifting. That's a generalization, and if it's not true in your case, please accept my apologies. However, if that is the case, you should be sure that you are practicing the lifts in ways that are legal for any given federation. Nothing is more discouraging at a meet than bombing out due to technicalities.

It's very basic to start:

Lift
    Find a federation
    Observe/Read their guidelines
    Find a meet
    Buy a singlet (and whatever other supportive equipment you'd like AND your federation allows)
    COMPETE!
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options

Nope. The real question is arch or no arch.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

here i am worried about what color socks to wear.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    As and Icelandic chick who loves the Strongmen competitions I approve..
    (Not that it matters, I just know a lot of Icelandic strong mens and it's an awesome sport)
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    DeadliftsandDonuts Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

Wait, we have to wear socks??? The director for the meet I'm doing(RPS federation) told me that there are no rules on footwear and I could lift barefoot if desired!
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Wait, we have to wear socks??? The director for the meet I'm doing(RPS federation) told me that there are no rules on footwear and I could lift barefoot if desired!

RPS has quite different rules from USAPL. One of my clients lifts in that fed -- not sure on deadlift sock rules but the reason is to prevent blood from getting on the barbell.
  • _incogNEATo_
    edited November 2016
    Options

Sounds like a pretty hardcore fed! :sunglasses:
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    edited November 2016
    Options

RPS has quite different rules from USAPL. One of my clients lifts in that fed -- not sure on deadlift sock rules but the reason is to prevent blood from getting on the barbell.

Yes, I specifically asked if I needed deadlift socks too since I don't have any and the meet director said no to that as well. I have never trained with deadlift socks and I have never bled on a barbell yet.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    funky socks is the best part of pulling
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    funky socks is the best part of pulling

Rip them off IIke band aids...lol
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Yes, I specifically asked if I needed deadlift socks too since I don't have any and the meet director said no to that as well. I have never trained with deadlift socks and I have never bled on a barbell yet.

Once you start moving some heavy weight, that may change.

And yes, that was sarcasm. Lol.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

thats funny but yea, i definitely use the slickness of my socks to slide the bar up. I can't imagine dragging the bar against my sticky gummy gooey stretchy sweaty skin. A half pound resistance might be enough to cause me to fail the lift. I've seen guys slathered up in baby powder just get that that extra glide.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You don't need supplements. Just sleep, food, and consistency. And a little less sexism. Quite uncalled for considering your very vague title. Also, no way in hell you're 18%. If you think you're too heavy. Cut. If you feel like you could gain more weight. Bulk. Your calories are dependent on which route you choose. It's not that difficult man.

Take it easy tough guy

Aha. Back at it with making assumptions. From the sounds of it, you know very little of how this site works and of the sport of power lifting. You asked for opinions and I have mine. At no point was I trying to show masculinity or assert dominance. Not my fault you can't accurately measure body fat percentages. And in regards to supplements. Other than creatine, maybe protein, and a multi vitamin, I gave you the best advice you could get. There's no wonder drug unless it comes in needle form and comes from hopefully a licensed doctor.

• Nodaysoff86
    Nodaysoff86 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You don't need supplements. Just sleep, food, and consistency. And a little less sexism. Quite uncalled for considering your very vague title. Also, no way in hell you're 18%. If you think you're too heavy. Cut. If you feel like you could gain more weight. Bulk. Your calories are dependent on which route you choose. It's not that difficult man.

Take it easy tough guy

Aha. Back at it with making assumptions. From the sounds of it, you know very little of how this site works and of the sport of power lifting. You asked for opinions and I have mine. At no point was I trying to show masculinity or assert dominance. Not my fault you can't accurately measure body fat percentages. And in regards to supplements. Other than creatine, maybe protein, and a multi vitamin, I gave you the best advice you could get. There's no wonder drug unless it comes in needle form and comes from hopefully a licensed doctor.

Actually, i do know how this site works. Very well and thanks for your advice. No i dont know how the sport is thats why i asked for others input. Once again thanks for your knowledge on the subject.
  • DeadliftsandDonuts
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

If I get serious about lifting after my first meet, I hope to pull heavy weight someday.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    grob49 wrote: »
    I would check out T Nation they have a lot of great articles on both Powerlifting and Strongman training

T nation is generally awful for information.

As a powerlifter, I don't agree with this assessment. While it's not my go to site for powerlifting information, it's a pretty darn great resource for the body builder.

TNation has many different contributors so to expect consistency from every single different contributor is not possible. The neophyte may not understand that, but I've come to appreciate the cacophony of voices at TNation.