Home remedies for itching/hives

Options

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    So I have hives and itching on the whole top part of my body due to an allergic reaction.

An allergic reaction to what? If you're not sure, see an allergist to get tested.

Regarding homeopathy, there's little scientific proof that it actually works. :+1:
    So I have hives and itching on the whole top part of my body due to an allergic reaction.

An allergic reaction to what? If you're not sure, see an allergist to get tested.

Regarding homeopathy, there's little scientific proof that it actually works. :+1:

I do see an allergist already and I know what I was exposed to.

• Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Lavender essential oil. I get eaten alive by mosquitos all summer and lavender essential oil helps so much.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    Warm oatmeal and Epsom salt baths , baking soda made into a paste with water left all over area until dried then rinse off
  • elphie754
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    Warm oatmeal and Epsom salt baths , baking soda made into a paste with water left all over area until dried then rinse off

Not trying to be rude, but people should really read the entire opening post before commenting.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

If you haven't used it, you probably have no room to make comment on it. Given its been our sole source of medical care for the last 7yrs, has been used extensively in my home for severe allergic reactions, completely healed my boy's bleeding disorder, is safe and inexpensive, I can tell her unequivocally that it works. There are millions that use it and know it works. If you understood h-pathy, you'd understand why double blind studies are hard to do with it. That said, there are a number of successful studies done recently, and more are on the agenda using the individual dosing of a remedy vs. a one size fits all dosing (b/c hpathy doesn't work on one size fits all they had to come up with a way to do double blind studies that fit within the individual dosing realm). The NCH website has links to both past and present studies.
  • elphie754
    Options

If you haven't used it, you probably have no room to make comment on it. Given its been our sole source of medical care for the last 7yrs, has been used extensively in my home for severe allergic reactions, completely healed my boy's bleeding disorder, is safe and inexpensive, I can tell her unequivocally that it works. There are millions that use it and know it works. If you understood h-pathy, you'd understand why double blind studies are hard to do with it. That said, there are a number of successful studies done recently, and more are on the agenda using the individual dosing of a remedy vs. a one size fits all dosing (b/c hpathy doesn't work on one size fits all they had to come up with a way to do double blind studies that fit within the individual dosing realm). The NCH website has links to both past and present studies.

Wow, that amazing that it helped your family so much.

As someone with a degree in science and working in the medical field, I believe both traditional medicine and homeopathy have their places. I kind of use a combination of both. I used essential oils for aches, pains, headache etc. if I can try something more natural to heal/take care of symptoms, I will. However, when those efforts have been exhausted and I don't seem to be getting better, I will turn to more traditional/western medicine.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    OP, every single one of the things you have tried and have been advised to try can and probably will make things worse if this is a diagnosed allergic reaction, and not a local one (e.g bite or touching a poisonous plant etc). I suffer from hives, and my allergy is triggered by severla things, one of them being heat, so not easy to avoid the triggers at all times. As I have found the hard way, and my dr has verified, anything applied on the skin in such cases, will make things worse and prolong the suffering. There are allergies where these things might help (with the exception of hot baths, this always will make things worse). But if you have hives, which are not a local reaction to touching e.g. something, everything else will just delay healing. Ideally, take the meds, wear as few clothes as possible and these only pure cotton, and wait. If you had skipped the hot showers, despite the temporary relief, you would have been symptom free by now.
  • elphie754
    edited November 2016
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    OP, every single one of the things you have tried and have been advised to try can and probably will make things worse if this is a diagnosed allergic reaction, and not a local one (e.g bite or touching a poisonous plant etc). I suffer from hives, and my allergy is triggered by severla things, one of them being heat, so not easy to avoid the triggers at all times. As I have found the hard way, and my dr has verified, anything applied on the skin in such cases, will make things worse and prolong the suffering. There are allergies where these things might help (with the exception of hot baths, this always will make things worse). But if you have hives, which are not a local reaction to touching e.g. something, everything else will just delay healing. Ideally, take the meds, wear as few clothes as possible and these only pure cotton, and wait. If you had skipped the hot showers, despite the temporary relief, you would have been symptom free by now.

No I wouldn't have been symptom free by now. Anytime I have a reaction the hives and itching last for at least a week or more. My allergist has cleared everything that I have tried that has helped me in the past. I'm sorry to hear that those things don't help you, but for the most part they have made reactions bareable for me. Just because they don't work for you/make you worse does not mean that is true for everyone.

When ever I have a reaction, my allergist always treats the systemic reaction with medication and also treats the skin symptoms. So no, it doesn't delay healing for me.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I've heard turmeric made into a paste and applied can work wonders. However it can also cause an allergic reaction so use with trepidation.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I write to say.. i'm sorry you are suffering and so uncomfortable. take your advice from the folks who've had severe itching before.. It could be a case were less is more. my thought.. is I hope your doctor might allow you to take a sleeping aid so you could sleep for 8 or nine hours while hoping for the itching to subside.
  • elphie754
    Options
    I write to say.. i'm sorry you are suffering and so uncomfortable. take your advice from the folks who've had severe itching before.. It could be a case were less is more. my thought.. is I hope your doctor might allow you to take a sleeping aid so you could sleep for 8 or nine hours while hoping for the itching to subside.

Unfortunately not really. They usually tell pregnant women to take Benadryl to sleep but it doesn't make me sleepy. I have been taking melatonin though which does help me sleep and is one of the only things my doctor will let me take.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Homeopathy is LITERALLY water...please don't spend money on it!

Look it up, I swear they believe that the medicine gets stronger, the more water you add if you shake it...the numbers on the back are parts per million litres of water!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    trying bathing in coconut oil...run a warm/hot bath and let a few tablespoons of coconut oil melt in the tub - heavenly!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    ogtmama wrote: »

Look it up, I swear they believe that the medicine gets stronger, the more water you add if you shake it...the numbers on the back are parts per million litres of water!

homeopathy and a "home remedy" are not the same thing.
  • ogtmama
    edited November 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    ogtmama wrote: »

homeopathy and a "home remedy" are not the same thing.

Exactly. Several people have recommended homeopathic remedies specifically. It's Snake oil.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Like any other medications, it works for some and not for others
  • Collieluv
    Collieluv Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try hot milk compresses. Used it for shingles and poison, worked wonders.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

As someone with a degree in science and working in the medical field, I believe both traditional medicine and homeopathy have their places. I kind of use a combination of both. I used essential oils for aches, pains, headache etc. if I can try something more natural to heal/take care of symptoms, I will. However, when those efforts have been exhausted and I don't seem to be getting better, I will turn to more traditional/western medicine.

THIS ^^^^^ is balance.
  • ogtmama
    Options

THIS ^^^^^ is balance.

I agree.