Hypothyroidism

Options
13»

Replies

• spiritbrat
    spiritbrat Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just find it helps me. I have 10 more to loose, give or take. Also watch your salt intake. We tend to retain a lot of water.

Good luck! Sometimes it takes us awhile to figure our bodies out!
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Ya I hear ya. I figured it out a few years ago when I was losing it initially but now it's like I'm completely lost. Things changed and of course in older
  • spiritbrat
    Options
    What Meds are you on? Are you suppose to wait an hour before eating on them? Or are there any instructions maybe you over looked? Also have you talked to your doctor about diet? Maybe he or she over looked telling you to avoid something?
  • lin7604
    Options
    spiritbrat wrote: »
    What Meds are you on? Are you suppose to wait an hour before eating on them? Or are there any instructions maybe you over looked? Also have you talked to your doctor about diet? Maybe he or she over looked telling you to avoid something?

I'm on 112 mcg synthroid. Yes you are suppose to wait 1 hr before eating. My dr told me to just to take as soon as I wake, not to eat for 1 hr and wait another hr before taking any other supplements it meds. She also told me to stay away from soy. I hear many avoid gluten and I do for the most part but that's because my son is celiac and the house is gf as it's much easier to just avoid it in the house for him... I have asked before about diet and she said just moderation. Which I do. She never suggested to avoid anything besides soy

• spiritbrat
    Options
    I take synthroid too. I'm surprised your dr hasn't tried other medications or has he? Wish I could help more. You are correct about this medication though. Least from my understanding. I truly hope you feel better soon.
  • lin7604
    Options
    spiritbrat wrote: »
    I take synthroid too. I'm surprised your dr hasn't tried other medications or has he? Wish I could help more. You are correct about this medication though. Least from my understanding. I truly hope you feel better soon.

No none of the drs I've seen will switch me to anything . I've tried and never succeed. Not sure why but up here in Canada they pretty much only give u synthroid

• spiritbrat
    Options
    I'm in Canada too. Yes, that seems to be the drug of choice lol!
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You're not eating a bunch of broccoli or other goitergens are you?

Eating things high in selenium (like raw Brazil nuts) can support thyroid function. Also ensuring your iodine intake is sufficient optimises thyroid function in hypothyroidism. Just switching to iodised table salt can help.

... just a thought about things that can interfere/help.
  • lin7604
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    You're not eating a bunch of broccoli or other goitergens are you?

Eating things high in selenium (like raw Brazil nuts) can support thyroid function. Also ensuring your iodine intake is sufficient optimises thyroid function in hypothyroidism. Just switching to iodised table salt can help.

... just a thought about things that can interfere/help.

No I don't. I do eat broccoli but not often and never a lot! I have no idea about my iodine is ? Never been tested from what I recall. I don't eat a lot of nuts in general as I have brittle teeth, lol so I stay away from anything hard or crunchie