Cardio and Strength

Options
Cardio and Strength in each workout or cardio one day Strength the next?

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    That's up to you and your goals. You can do them both in the same day if you want.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There are pros and cons to each but for most people just do what fits your schedule and preference.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Whatever fits your schedule and energy levels. I walk for cardio so I have no problem doing both in the same day, often back to back. I prioritize my strength training so I try to get that done first.
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    That's up to you and your goals. You can do them both in the same day if you want.
    SideSteel wrote: »
    There are pros and cons to each but for most people just do what fits your schedule and preference.
    Whatever fits your schedule and energy levels. I walk for cardio so I have no problem doing both in the same day, often back to back. I prioritize my strength training so I try to get that done first.

Thank you all - I just saw a lot of posts on here about 'Strength day' and 'cardio day' so was wondering if there's any health benefits as I tend to just hop in Strength when machines etc are available at the gym so it's always cardio and Strength!
  • michael_hatten
    michael_hatten Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have strength and cardio days but I really do cardio every day. On strength days I do a strength circuit in addition to the cardio.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Your preference.

If you do chose to do both in same day, it's ideal to prioritize which one is your primary goal and do that first.
  • fitqueenbess
    fitqueenbess Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Can you get both strength and cardio from the same workout? For example: hiking, which burns the gluten and quads, or swimming, which challenges the upper body.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    There are no hard set rules. It's basically goal dependent from person to person. Define what you're trying to achieve and build your program around that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • edena001
    edena001 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Can you get both strength and cardio from the same workout? For example: hiking, which burns the gluten and quads, or swimming, which challenges the upper body.

Yeah I can that's why I was confused to why people were only doing cardio days and Strength days
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

i think anything vigorous enough to get your heart and respiration rates up probably needs a certain amount of strength, so indirectly i guess yeah.

edena001 wrote: »
    Yeah I can that's why I was confused to why people were only doing cardio days and Strength days

this is more about which outcome i'm focused on, personally. i can go into the gym and do 30 reps at low weights with speed if i wanted to make it more 'cardio', i suppose. but usually when i'm in there i'm lifting to work on my strength. i do need to catch my breath between sets, but that's just a side effect. it's not the thing that i'm focusing on.

and in the same way when i'm on a bike ride, i could stick to the toughest gear that i've got and tell myself that i'm doing it to build up my leg muscles and make them stronger. but usually when i''m on my bike i'm just about 'cardio' regardless of how easy or hard it might feel for my legs.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    What are your goals/priorities?
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I've read that you only need one really heavy lifting session a month for a muscle group to maintain strength in it. That being said, if you train each muscle group once a week really heavy, you should see some good gains. When I say really heavy, that means as heavy as you can do with good form. When you start sacrificing form is when injuries happen, and they can be huge setbacks. A jog after a lift may be a good way to get rid of some lactic acid, if you're up for it. Otherwise, just do cardio on your off days from lifting. Your goals are what decides which one you do more often. Big muscles use up more energy, so that is going to reduce your endurance. You can also get stronger without making your muscles much bigger. People have accomplished this by bending bars and nails. Doing exercises, like the wall sit with weight. Basically, doing really low, long and slow, reps, like 0 (Isometrics)-1 rep, while creating a lot of strain.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    mgalovic01 wrote: »
    I've read that you only need one really heavy lifting session a month for a muscle group to maintain strength in it.

No idea where this has come from but I would say it's far from the truth especially if you focus on running in the time between lifting.
  • davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    Options

Yes. but they won't be 'equal'. I swim 3x a week, around 10,000yds total. I also lift 3x week to build strength and muscle.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Choose your workout and feed your need.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I've read that you only need one really heavy lifting session a month for a muscle group to maintain strength in it.

No idea where this has come from but I would say it's far from the truth especially if you focus on running in the time between lifting.

I checked my source, the ACTION personal trainer certification book page 177. It's actually only every 10- 14 days you need to work out a certain muscle group at the same intensity as you used to get to that point to maintain strength in it.
    I've heard a guy who bends nails and bolts with his hands say he does only one big nail bend per month. So, I think that's were I got mixed up.
  • trigden1991
    Options

I checked my source, the ACTION personal trainer certification book page 177. It's actually only every 10- 14 days you need to work out a certain muscle group at the same intensity as you used to get to that point to maintain strength in it.
    I've heard a guy who bends nails and bolts with his hands say he does only one big nail bend per month. So, I think that's were I got mixed up.

10-14 days is not the same as once a month.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

10-14 days is not the same as once a month.

(Have to admit the nail bending gave me pause.)

I remembered Bret Contreras writing a bit about how much training you have to do to maintain strength/muscle. The answer is dependent on a variety of factors but here's the article:

https://bretcontreras.com/how-much-training-is-necessary-to-maintain-strength-and-muscle/
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

it could be dependent on age. i know how agitated my gp got when i took a knee issue to her and said i wasn't using it at all until it got better. but i'm 51 which is probably sarcopenia turf, or close to it. and she might have thought i was talking total immobility, as opposed to just 'not lifting any weights.' anyway, fwiw the Scary Number she gave to me was a week before atrophy starts to set in.