How can I stop eating sweets??

Options
I've been eating sweets at night for the past 3 weeks! I've gained about 5 pounds ugh it's so hard to lose 1 but soooo easy to gain 5

Replies

• 33bbcc33
    33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I try to find low calorie alternatives to indulge the sweet tooth during the week. So maybe rice cakes, or I'll mix cocoa powder with pb2, or an apple with a bit of caramel (low calorie if you can find some) and then a bunch of water in between to keep ya full. That helps me soooometimes haha.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You could eat lower calorie throughout the day to allow room in your calories for the sweets, so having them will not put you over your calorie limit (if you don't go over your calories you won't gain weight, even if you do eat the sweets).

Or you could force yourself to stop, or find alternatives that are lower in calories... fruit, protein shake, halo top ice cream, sugar free candy, etc.

If this is a new behavior maybe try to figure out what caused it to start happening. Are you restricting too much throughout the day? Was there Halloween candy around as a temptation (easy fix- get rid of it), are you more stressed recently?

• 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Drinking Kuding Cha everyday curbed my sweet tooth@chocolates during menses. It's a bitter tasting Chinese tea. Got rather addicted to its bitter aftertaste. Then again, I just love Chinese tea blends.

• Sirrom_Essentials
    Sirrom_Essentials Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think the key to success is really knowing your why.
    Then when you go to cheat, recall the reason you started, if consuming the cheat food in in aligns with your end goal. Decide from there.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If at all possible, try not to have the foods that facilitate weight gain for you in the house. If not possible, seal them in single servings and hide them somewhere where it would be a chore to get them out every time. This cuts down on mindless eating because to overeat you will need to perform physical intentional actions to get your sweets out, fully aware of what you are doing, intentionally grabbing more than one serving.
  • Effie008
    Effie008 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    very true. I sometimes get a sweet out and leave it sitting on the bench. By the time I look up what it contains nutrients etc on this site, the urge has gone and I put it back :) the temptation is not worth it.
    It's always about thinking twice with me, and avoiding impulse eating
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Try to wean yourself off of sugar and carbohydrates. Eat more protein, instead. Meat, eggs, cheese (4 oz.). And vegetables. For something sweet, try berries (any kind), but not other fruits. You might also ask your doctor to prescribe Metformin. Have you had your glucose level checked recently?

Yes! How is your protein intake? And do you get enough fiber? Carbs & sweets just make you crave more carbs & sweets- getting 100 grams of protein a day has been a game changer for me to reduce carb & sugar cravings. I still crave chocolate for some reason but not so much sugar & high carb foods anymore, and luckily there's low calorie and low/no sugar ways to get my chocolate fix.
  • stm712015
    stm712015 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky in that I don't crave sweets, so they usually aren't a temptation. But, there are other things I crave so I either work them into my calorie allotment for the day or I don't bring them into the house at all. It's so much easier for me to prep my food ahead, grab what I need for my meal or snack, and don't have the stuff I want to avoid around me as a choice. I realize this isn't always possible though if you live with someone that is bringing the sweets into the home... then choosing an alternative like tea, pb2, low fat desert flavored yogurt, etc. might work.
  • Popsicle_Feet
    Popsicle_Feet Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    We have two large bowls of candy in the house. I decided take it one day at a time. Also, I am starting a strict 1200 calorie diet, and make a plan for 200 cal breakfast, 2 100 cal snacks, and 400 cal lunch and dinner. I think the plan has really helped me to not break open the kit kats. . .:D Also. I am tired of being fat. .
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Stop buying them. No one else is putting them in your mouth.

The day I started losing weight was the day I stopped making excuses. You can do the same.

Also, as others have said, you can find healthier alternatives and simply leave enough calories to enjoy them.
  • Asuperstar12
    Asuperstar12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    i eat special k chocolatey delights cereal with unsweetened almond milk if i'm craving something sweet.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Having the same issue as I crave sugar every single day. Don't know if it's some kind of deficiency or I just have a bad sweet tooth
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I wish I could give you a good answer for this, its all mental though you have to decide that you are no longer going to over indulge in "sweets". Plus try not to keep goodies at home I avoid buying sweet treats.
  • FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I get urges to stop for ice cream, but I tell myself "no," and I don't buy sweets. I learned a few years ago that after my body gets used to not eating sweets, if I eat something really sweet, like chocolate, my cheeks get hot and flushed. That would discourage me from overdoing the chocolate. It takes discipline of the mind, which you CAN achieve by thinking about better things and/or immersing yourself in an activity. Exercise your self-control. It gets easier with practice.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Stop buying them.

this. gummy bears are my doom, and i know perfectly well that when i'm in the grocery store i have a bit of a reptile-brain thing going on. 'need to stock up' just like i do with the coffee and toilet paper.

late night: when i don't have them, i'm usually much too lazy to go out and get any so i just endure. sometiimes i discover that what i actually am is thirsty, actually. or i might end up eating something else to compensate, but it's not likely to be as empty as pure candy is.

at work: i eat without thinking while i'm thinking really intensely, and that's a hard one to break. but my mechanical-habit circuits don't really know the difference between good-for-me and pure crap. oranges are my big go-to. it stuns me how sweet they are, and it can take me a whole afternoon to get through a bowl of those if i break the segments into small chunks.

plus, i'm a little superstitious about oranges. for some reason my body seems to react to a few days of orange eating by bumping the scale back into motion when it's been stalled. that's even when i'm not swapping them out for a pile of candy.