How much training do you need to get abs like these?

Options
We can all agree that he is around 10 to 12 percent bodyfat, but how much abdominal training do you need to get abs like these?

Many people seem to agree that ab training is unnecessary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML0IXlwoc0M&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I wonder what percentage of the population could actually look like this?
  • applesandtapeline
    applesandtapeline Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    It just genetics.
    All a person can do to reveal abs is to be in low body fat levels. Training won't change the shape or make them bigger. The shape and symmetry depends on genetics. :|
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    It's not training really. It's a lack of bodyfat.

We don't " all agree its around 10-12%", I would say this is absolutely sub 10%.

Agreed
  • Chadxx
    Options
    It just genetics.
    All a person can do to reveal abs is to be in low body fat levels. Training won't change the shape or make them bigger. The shape and symmetry depends on genetics. :|

While I agree that having visible abs is all about reducing body fat, abdominal muscles, like any other muscles, respond to training. If you work them, they will grow and get stronger.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    It just genetics.

While I agree that having visible abs is all about reducing body fat, abdominal muscles, like any other muscles, respond to training. If you work them, they will grow and get stronger.

By that logic, people who do heavy compound lifts or train abs would have massive waist lines which is simply not true. Yes you can progressively overload them but you will not experience hypertrophy like you will with other muscles.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Like everyone has said, to get those abs you need to be a low body fat precentage, but I must assume they just look better because of the rest of his figure as well. If you have somebody who didn't do any weight training and was as low body fat precentage as that guy, the abs just aren't going to look as good on them.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    It's not training really. It's a lack of bodyfat.

We don't " all agree its around 10-12%", I would say this is absolutely sub 10%.

Definately sub 10
  • Chadxx
    Options
    It just genetics.

By that logic, people who do heavy compound lifts or train abs would have massive waist lines which is simply not true. Yes you can progressively overload them but you will not experience hypertrophy like you will with other muscles.

You say that as if building large amounts of muscle is easy and to have a "massive waistline" would require a massive amount of muscle. Abdominal muscles will grow when trained. That is a fact.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It just genetics.

You say that as if building large amounts of muscle is easy and to have a "massive waistline" would require a massive amount of muscle. Abdominal muscles will grow when trained. That is a fact.

Oh yes I completely forgot all the athletes and physique competitors with 40" waists from training their core. By no means am I saying you can't experience hypertrophy in the abdominal area! But it is no where near comparable to other muscle groups.

Anecdotally; I have trained my abs 3 times a week and trained my arms once a week for at least 2 years. In that time my arms have gotten 3" bigger and my waist has decreased a few inches.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    koreangurl wrote: »
    We can all agree that he is around 10 to 12 percent bodyfat, but how much abdominal training do you need to get abs like these?

Many people seem to agree that ab training is unnecessary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML0IXlwoc0M&feature=youtu.be

He's probably more like 8%. Visible abs are about low BF% more than anything. Add to that, being genetically gifted and then also having the muscle mass. I know many women who are very lean but do not have six pack abs, just really flat stomachs, even though they have good muscle mass...it's more difficult for a woman to achieve.

Personally, I can't really do that anymore...at 42, being that lean is a PITA.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Edit: nvm
  • Chadxx
    Options
    It just genetics.

Oh yes I completely forgot all the athletes and physique competitors with 40" waists from training their core. By no means am I saying you can't experience hypertrophy in the abdominal area! But it is no where near comparable to other muscle groups.

Anecdotally; I have trained my abs 3 times a week and trained my arms once a week for at least 2 years. In that time my arms have gotten 3" bigger and my waist has decreased a few inches.

You already know this but your waistline got smaller because of a reduction in body fat and we carry a lot more fat along our waistlines than over the peaks of our biceps. Also, it would take a huge increase in the mass of abdominal muscles to make much difference in the size of someone's waistline and nobody lean enough to have ripped abs is going to have a 40" waistline. Besides, physique competitors train for appearance and part of that is a small waist. Likewise, you don't see truly ripped abs on even the leanest skinny guys because they haven't grown and developed them.
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Power lifters have big abs. Check pictures.