Struggles with clothing sizes

Options

Replies

• flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    tahxirez wrote: »
    Any of you wearing kid's sizes...Do you try on at the store? I don't want to be "that" weirdo but I would def have to try on...

If by "that weirdo" you mean the person who wants their clothes to fit and doesn't care what random strangers think, then yes, we do. I've personally never gotten a second glance in a changing room. If it's a department store, and you're self-conscious, you could always carry your things over to the ladies' department.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    Any of you wearing kid's sizes...Do you try on at the store? I don't want to be "that" weirdo but I would def have to try on...

If by "that weirdo" you mean the person who wants their clothes to fit and doesn't care what random strangers think, then yes, we do. I've personally never gotten a second glance in a changing room. If it's a department store, and you're self-conscious, you could always carry your things over to the ladies' department.

I actually was referring to stores like Gap Kids (or whatever its called) and the Childrens place. I'm not so much concerned at a Kohl's or JC Penney where no one pays attention to what you try on or guards the changing room like corrections officers.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

I actually was referring to stores like Gap Kids (or whatever its called) and the Childrens place. I'm not so much concerned at a Kohl's or JC Penney where no one pays attention to what you try on or guards the changing room like corrections officers.

IME the salespeople generally react positively ("oh, I wish I could do that, kids' stuff is so cheap!" and that kind of thing.) If they're making fun of me behind my back I have no idea so I don't care...I'm also sure it's not that rare, honestly, because so many brands are sizing adult women out of their clothes. When one of my girlfriends special ordered a designer suit from a children's boutique downtown a while ago for herself, the saleswoman said that she gets tons of other women doing it too. I haven't had a single experience where someone made me feel weird or like my business was anything other than welcome.

I order most stuff online though now that I know what size I am in the brands I buy a lot, and the stuff I pick up on a whim at Costco or whatever I don't bother trying on because I have a pretty easy to fit body proportions-wise. I can always return it if it doesn't work but 99% of the time it's fine.
  • tahxirez
    Options
    Okay great! I can't wait to get out there and try some stuff on :)
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    This is where I plug eshakti.com Sizes 0 - 36W , available in standard sizes for women 4 '6" to 6'11" and custom cut in any size. Dresses, coats, skirts, pants and shirts.

Your local tailor is also a great option. Alterations are surprisingly inexpensive.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'm tall but stepdaughter about 5' even and 95lb, she has great success ordering Asian sized clothing on amazon and other websites. Cheap and runs short and small - I sometimes do order the same sort of stuff and usually take an XL at 5'9" and 135lb (I am a pretty solid Small/Tall in American sizing).

And as Tomteboda says, it's easy to tailor stuff to be shorter/smaller in waist.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Thredup.com Best. Thing. Ever. Online resale, everything from basic to designer.

You can set a range of sizes and read the descriptions regarding measurements regarding fit. Been so happy with all of my purchases. And then there's the saving money part! Who doesn't like "like new" Lululemon at 50% off? Haven't sold anything through them, so I can't comment on that piece.
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    First off: I don't think you are a size 1/2 at 124 lbs. You are more likely a 5/6. When I was 124 lbs I was about a size 6/7. But jeans are jeans and everything is up for grabs depending on your structure. I would go more for a size small in tops. It will be fitted but not snug.

I usually just shop at thrift or discount stores. But for higher end stuff, check out Macy's, JC Penney, Nordstrom's. I also love H&M, American Eagle, and Banana Republic. They have good quality for the price.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    First off: I don't think you are a size 1/2 at 124 lbs. You are more likely a 5/6. When I was 124 lbs I was about a size 6/7. But jeans are jeans and everything is up for grabs depending on your structure. I would go more for a size small in tops. It will be fitted but not snug.

I usually just shop at thrift or discount stores. But for higher end stuff, check out Macy's, JC Penney, Nordstrom's. I also love H&M, American Eagle, and Banana Republic. They have good quality for the price.

When were you 124 pounds? Sizes have changed. I am 5' 4.75" and 130 pounds. I wear a size 4 jeans. Twenty years ago when I was this size I wore a 7.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I don't understand the comments of comparing even #s to odd, like "I used to wear 2 and now wear 5." Well, they aren't in the same department or cut the same. Odds are juniors, evens are misses. And they aren't interchangeable across brands. I wear 26 in Levi's skinny (misses) but 3 in juniors Arizona, 0 or 2 at old Navy.
  • tahxirez
    Options

I usually just shop at thrift or discount stores. But for higher end stuff, check out Macy's, JC Penney, Nordstrom's. I also love H&M, American Eagle, and Banana Republic. They have good quality for the price.[/quote

Oh I'm not? News to me...
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options

Chances are she is...depends on a person's body type. I'm a size 4/6 (us sizes) at 70 kg and 5'6". I'm lean and athletic with small hips. Anything bigger than that and it would fall off my body. Other people at my height and weight would struggle to fit into a 8/10 because their body type is different.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Just finding the clothes anywhere is difficult if you are small. I am a true petite, 5'0", 125 and my jeans run anywhere from a 6 to a 10. Retailers aren't addressing petites or talls all that much any more. I have several places where I order online but I have learned their lines and know what fits. And I am in a huge metro area with any store I need, and none of them work for me.
    Here's an interesting youtube that addresses all of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QwlT5f7H1c#action=share
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the comments of comparing even #s to odd, like "I used to wear 2 and now wear 5." Well, they aren't in the same department or cut the same. Odds are juniors, evens are misses. And they aren't interchangeable across brands. I wear 26 in Levi's skinny (misses) but 3 in juniors Arizona, 0 or 2 at old Navy.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I commented that I wear a 4 now and I wore a 7 last time I was at this weight it was because last time I was at this weight was 20 years ago and I wore junior sizes then. If I wore misses sizes back then it probably would have been an 8. I am not unaware that juniors and misses are different. I simply use the size that I wear now vs. the size I wore then. I thought it was rude for someone to tell the OP that they didn't think she wore a 1/2 at her weight. She weights less than me and I wear a 4 so I think she probably does wear a 1/2. I wouldn't have thought that I could wear a 4, but I can.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I don't like Old Navy personally. I think most of their clothes are huge. If OP is having trouble finding small clothes I'd suggest not to spend too much time there. I'm short but a little overweight and even I have trouble finding things there I don't swim in. Sometimes even the XS are too big.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I think the OP knows what size she wears. I am 140 lbs, 5'6", and can fit into plenty of size 6's, although not the size 6's I wore 20 years ago. Since you are 18, are you confusing junior and misses sizing? Big difference.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    So, I thought about this thread when I had an hour to browse Friday night without kids. First, I went to Old Navy, because it was an outdoor shopping center and I needed a hat and gloves. I also picked up a small white sweater (half price, fits great, made of some synthetic crap, but a nice classic style) and 8$ pajama bottoms, that fit, but fit weird through the butt (puffy butt...not the most flattering cut, made worse by the fact it is a large plaid with a poorly-joined butt seam, ha ha) but they were cheap and warm and the other pair has Boston Terriers, so that's cool.

After girding myself against the weather, I then browsed through Ann Taylor, While House/Black Market, Eddie Bauer, and window shopped a few more places, and I didn't see a single thing that I felt compelled to try on. Everything was black and white and maroon and blah, so depressing, although WHBM had a really cute suede/fur vest that was basically the same as the one I bought from them last year. Talbot's had some cute things in the window, but for some reason they close at 8.

I used to love clothes, but now things just seem to be dead to me, because I know there's a good chance they are going to: fit weird, not be lined, pill if they are sweaters, be see-through or show every detail of my bosom anatomy if I don't wear the right bra and/or annoying underlayer piece, and will shortly start falling apart in a variety of ways after a few wears and washes. So discouraging, because I want some new clothes, much as I enjoy wearing my (well made and well-fitting) wardrobe from 10 years ago.

I just looked up "declining quality of Banana Republic" as that is one thing that really grinds me, and found the following article, which is a gem of explanatory revelation, if you are like me and have really come to despise shopping for clothing. The comments section is even better--a lot of insights about fabrics, technical details on structuring, etc. It's not just me that is filled with ennui.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2016/08/26/why-are-sales-suffering-at-so-many-womens-stores-they-made-bad-clothes/

I do have to say, my boys Ralph, Tommy and Calvin do not often let me down.
  • b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,015 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Have to say I appreciate folks bringing up shopping in the kid's sections. I also will often peruse the kid's department (and not just the girls, but with the sleazy cut of pants (tight fit and low waist) these days for females, I often head to the boy's department to get more modest jeans/cargo pants, etc). Plus, kid's clothes are so much cheaper price wise and often sturdier than many women's clothes brands. I've been doing this since college, when I realized I wore a boy's 4.5 boot (from ROTC)/women's 6 shoe, and the ROTC pants my supply sergeant provided me fit me way better than any women's clothing pants at the time. I needed to buy some hiking boots in my Junior year of college and the women's boots at the outlet were $60 and the same brand in boys boots were $25 (this was 30 years ago). But it was enough to convince me to be that "weirdo" trying on kid's clothes, if nothing else to save a ton of money. Also, I disliked that women's 'khaki' pants were usually cream or white when I wanted/needed khaki tan pants for work, so I could only find them in the boys department. I'm a big fan of shopping in the kid's department once you figure out what size you are there. (And yes, you'll often hear me mumbling under my breath about buying them for my son, if someone walked by...even though I don't have kids.)
  • Krock83
    Krock83 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am short (5'3) and curvy which is always a challenge. I have been buying all of my clothes on www.eshakti.com because for $10 I can give them my custom measurements and they make the clothes to fit my size. Otherwise I've been shopping at Gap Factory and occasionally loft.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I'm on the smaller side, too - 5'3", 117 lbs (currently heavier, but I fit in the same clothes I did before).

J Crew and Gap have a lot of things that would fit me really nicely if I were their target body type. J Crew is always too straight through the waist/hip for me (hourglass) and the both places assume I have more slender biceps.