SUGAR in fruit and milk

Options
2»

Replies

• Hanna1983
    Hanna1983 Posts: 251
    Options
    Thank you meg

thats exactly what I had heard before. but I havent been losing weight well and am wondering if it is because i go over my sugar all the time.

I just wonder, surely if natural sugar wouldnt count, it wouldnt show in the nutritional information and then in the food diary?

I am completely confused now :ohwell:
  • naner
    naner Posts: 110
    Options
    Stay away from rasins yes, but bananas are very filling, high in potassium (which if you every get muscel cramps after working out it means you need more potassium) and high in fiber- a small banana has 3 grams of fiber. Pineapples are like candy-so eat them to curb cravings and ward off illness (VITAMIN C)

y rasins????
  • SteffCooley
    Options
    I'm assuming they are saying no to raisins because they are high in calories and not too filling. I put 1/8 cup of raisins in my oatmeal, which really is NOT that much....... and it is 65 calories!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    plus they are dried fruit, so they've lost a lot of their nutritional value- you get way more bang for your buck so to speak with grapes :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Stay away from rasins yes, but bananas are very filling, high in potassium (which if you every get muscel cramps after working out it means you need more potassium) and high in fiber- a small banana has 3 grams of fiber. Pineapples are like candy-so eat them to curb cravings and ward off illness (VITAMIN C)

y rasins????
    2 T. of raisons is equal to a serving of grapes I believe...they are dried grapes so the sugar content is much more instense. As would be dried banana chips, any of the dried fruits.

Regarding a question earlier...yes we want to count EVERY type of food we're eating, whether it's fruits, veggies, dairy, etc.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE FRUIT YOU WANT! The sugar in fruit is natural and your body breaks it down quickly-which is good. This is what I can't stand about low carb diets, they are pretty much no fruit. Fruit is packed with vitamins, FIBER, and most have a very high amount of water in them. Fruit is an amazing food, made from nature mind you, and you diet should consist primarily of fruit and veggies.

As for dairy (esp milk) this is how I look at: Has any animal in the history of the world consumed diary after being a child other than humans? NO! Have you ever heard of a giraffe or elephant having bone diffeciency? NO! And think for a minute about what milk does- it takes a baby(of any species) and makes it double its weight in very short periods of time. Do you want to double your weight? Have you considered the fat in dairy? And considering the hormones pumped into those cows that the milk comes from (unless you drink organic) and the chemicals that then go into the milk, can you really call it a drink from nature?

Lose the dairy and lose weight. Eat fruit, stay full, and saty pooping (essential to losing weight)

Just my 2 cents :happy:
    whoa wait a second....I'm not sure that 'eat all the fruit you want' is perhaps the best response to a newer person, we do want to use some caution and wisdom giving a sweeping statement such as that:noway: :flowerforyou: ....fruit counts just as protein does, dairy gives us our allotment of calcium...we dont' want to kick out one food source for another. If you MFP food diary is set up correctly you should be able to be allowed all the cals your body needs to function properly and still be losing weight because of the MFP calorie deficit figured in.

But meal planning is a good thing to do so you can see what you are left with as you figure in your meals. 1 small banana is one serving, or half a med. 1 cup milk is one serving. Perhaps since this is bothering you so much change up your sugars and add in something else to use as a guide on your food data??

I have protein, carbs (which are much more an indicator of sugars and more accurate), fiber, sodium, dairy(?, I'm missing one and don't recall it right off)

Sugars are carbs but if you use the carb as one of your sections, you'll probably find it more accurate to go by and find you most likely won't go over. Dairy is made up of many valueable nutrients. Protein, Carbs, and some have fiber added. Giving up protein and carbs form milk because is has sugar in it...well, keep in mind it's NOT ADDED SUGAR, it is part of milk.

Perhaps check your food labels a bit and that may help you to understand that a carton of milk doesn't have much added to it, sometimes Vit. D, I'm using skim milk as an example here.

Please let us know if you have any questions on resetting your guidlines in your food diary.:flowerforyou:

FC:heart:
  • MisoSoup79
    Options
    I disagree with the warning to stay away from raisins and other dried fruits. There is nothing wrong with consuming some of your fruits dried - raisins are great added to cereal & yogurt or mixed with nuts for a trail mix. Yes, they are higher in calories per ounce than grapes, but all dried fruits should be eaten in smaller amounts than fresh because once the water is gone, they take up less space. Aside from some vitamin C, very little is lost from the grape when it is dried. Just be sure no sugar has been added to your dried fruits - they should be all natural, sans water.

Here are two links to check out:
    http://www.vegfamily.com/dietician-marty/raw-versus-dried-fruits.htm
    http://www.raisins.net/Raisins and Health 4_28.pdf

I eat prunes on mornings when I choose something low in fiber & carbs for breakfast (like eggs and sausage!) Prunes pack more anti-oxidants ounce for ounce than most fresh fruits and they take up less space than eating a whole apple.

Yes, dried fruits still have natural sugars, but I don't dwell on the natural stuff.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about this. I say eat the fruit its better for you than eatting candy!!!! do we have to count our sugar?? I wasn't doing that. i eat alot of fruit. it makes you go potty LOL :huh:

Thats exactly what I thoguht as well and I thought it would be good having regular number 2s. :ohwell:

what can i swapp fruit for then?

Nuts?

Fiber supplements are a good way to get "regular and Toity Time" and they say fiber helps keep you full longer. I have a taste free powder I drop into coffee in the am......

Go Green!
  • FletcherChic
    Options
    sugar IS sugar...anything on a label that ends in "ose" is a sugar (sucrose, lactose, fructose, galactose, etc)...simple sugars (sucrose ie: table sugar!) cause a high and rapid spike in insulin (bad bad bad) so THAT is the sugar to stay away from....all sugar should be limited though (yes - you actually can get fat eating too much fruit/fructose)...berries, especially raspberries, are pretty low in sugar (you can always google "foods with low glycemic index" to be sure)....i wouldn't cut out milk products completely because they do provide beneficial nutrients, but if you're looking to cut back and still have "milk" in your diet, try unsweetened almond milk (i like the vanilla)...here is how they compare (8 oz 1% milk vs 8 oz unsweetened almond milk :130 cals vs 40 cals, 14 carbs vs 2 carbs, fat is the same at 3 grams, sugar is 15 vs 0, protein is 15 vs 1)... i use this in place of milk for my cereal and it soooo good.... i do still consume yogurt but i make sure it's a high protein yogurt (Fage) so that it tempers that rise in insulin (or you could always just eat some protein with your regular yogurt)....i am very sensitive to sugar and i know my body relies heavily on it so i try to cut out sugars anywhere i can...i hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    EAT ALL THE FRUIT YOU WANT! The sugar in fruit is natural and your body breaks it down quickly-which is good. This is what I can't stand about low carb diets, they are pretty much no fruit. Fruit is packed with vitamins, FIBER, and most have a very high amount of water in them. Fruit is an amazing food, made from nature mind you, and you diet should consist primarily of fruit and veggies.

As for dairy (esp milk) this is how I look at: Has any animal in the history of the world consumed diary after being a child other than humans? NO! Have you ever heard of a giraffe or elephant having bone diffeciency? NO! And think for a minute about what milk does- it takes a baby(of any species) and makes it double its weight in very short periods of time. Do you want to double your weight? Have you considered the fat in dairy? And considering the hormones pumped into those cows that the milk comes from (unless you drink organic) and the chemicals that then go into the milk, can you really call it a drink from nature?

Lose the dairy and lose weight. Eat fruit, stay full, and saty pooping (essential to losing weight)

Just my 2 cents :happy:

Please don't down low carb diets, no one is downing your plan......................they are much healthier than most of the plans I see people doing on this site. Low carb or controlled carb plans DO INCLUDE FRUIT WHEN IT COMES TIME TO ADD IT IN...............Please don't speak on somethng you are not educated about.

And if you eat all the fruit you want, your tryglycerides are probably so sky high that you are a candidate for getting heart disease or having a stroke, hardening of the arteries, etc.........................

I am on a low carb diet (Atkins to be specific) and I probably eat WAYYYYYYYYYYYYY more healthy than the majority of people on this site. Yes, I do eat fruit, just in limited quantities.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    sugar IS sugar...anything on a label that ends in "ose" is a sugar (sucrose, lactose, fructose, galactose, etc)...simple sugars (sucrose ie: table sugar!) cause a high and rapid spike in insulin (bad bad bad) so THAT is the sugar to stay away from....all sugar should be limited though (yes - you actually can get fat eating too much fruit/fructose)...berries, especially raspberries, are pretty low in sugar (you can always google "foods with low glycemic index" to be sure)....i wouldn't cut out milk products completely because they do provide beneficial nutrients, but if you're looking to cut back and still have "milk" in your diet, try unsweetened almond milk (i like the vanilla)...here is how they compare (8 oz 1% milk vs 8 oz unsweetened almond milk :130 cals vs 40 cals, 14 carbs vs 2 carbs, fat is the same at 3 grams, sugar is 15 vs 0, protein is 15 vs 1)... i use this in place of milk for my cereal and it soooo good.... i do still consume yogurt but i make sure it's a high protein yogurt (Fage) so that it tempers that rise in insulin (or you could always just eat some protein with your regular yogurt)....i am very sensitive to sugar and i know my body relies heavily on it so i try to cut out sugars anywhere i can...i hope this helps! :flowerforyou:

Very, very well put!!!!!
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies.

Not so great news from my end unfortunately...
    I lowered my fruit intake so to stay within the recommended amounts of sugar and what can I say... I have not had a number 2 for the third day in a row and feel absolutely horrible and dont know what to do now. :ohwell:

While I was still eating alot of fruit and going over my sugar allowance every day I had regular digestion and didnt feel like I have a ton of bricks in my tummy.

What now? :angry:

PS: Just for info: without the fruit, my meals dont ahve alot of sugar and I would never go over my allowance. It was grapes and bananas that took me over the allowed amount.
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies.

Not so great news from my end unfortunately...
    I lowered my fruit intake so to stay within the recommended amounts of sugar and what can I say... I have not had a number 2 for the third day in a row and feel absolutely horrible and dont know what to do now. :ohwell:

While I was still eating alot of fruit and going over my sugar allowance every day I had regular digestion and didnt feel like I have a ton of bricks in my tummy.

What now? :angry:

PS: Just for info: without the fruit, my meals dont ahve alot of sugar and I would never go over my allowance. It was grapes and bananas that took me over the allowed amount.

What vegetables are you eating? Vegetables provide just as much, if not more fiber than fruit and a LOT less sugar!!!!
  • Hanna1983
    Options
    I am eating alot of:

peas, sprouts, salad leafs, beetroot, peppers, beans and lentils.

:ohwell:
  • LeanLioness
    Options
    I am eating alot of:

peas, sprouts, salad leafs, beetroot, peppers, beans and lentils.

:ohwell:

Personally, I would drop the peas, beans and lentils for a while. Add those things in very sparingly. peas are quite starchy............Beans and lentils are great sources of protein, but a little starchy too......

Do you like broccoli, cauliflower, radishes, cucumber, celery, carrots, cabbage, spinach, asparagus.....

Also add in some avocado and tomato (even though technically they are fruit)........
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation...can't say it enough.

Limit everything, does that make sense? A diet made up of all fruits and milk isin't healthy the same way a diet that shuts out most carbs isin't healthy. Water, the one of the healthiest, best for you , you will die without it substances on the earth will kill you if you drink enough. It kills me seeing people saying don't eat a banana because of the glycemic load (which isin't all that relavent if you aren't a diabetic by the way) or stay away from raisins because of the sugar. Too many raisins with shoot your sugar intake up, and too many bananas probably will cause your blood sugars to raise. But a banana will give you fiber, potassium and a whole mess of good for you things, a raisin will give you iron, calcium...and yes cows milk is from a cow, and yes it has hormones and yes nature designed it for cows and not people, but unless you know a lactating woman willing to donate, cows and goat milk are good souces of calcium and Vit D . Limit everthing, enjoy everything. Rant over, I am going to go have some raisins, milk and a banana to recoop. :flowerforyou:
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    Can you experiment with different fruit/vegetable combinations? grapefruit and strawberres. Tomatoes, banana, asparagus. Maybe don't eat your grapes and bananas on the same day?

I usually don't eat bread so I can eat 2 bananas a day (esp when I weight train).