Can I just start eating more?

x3livox
x3livox Posts: 48 Member
edited November 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So I've been on this weight loss journey since May and I've lost 50 lbs, which I am super happy with! But in the past month or so, my weight loss has stalled or at the very least slowed down a lot. I'm not sure why exactly, I'm definitely eating in deficit, and I'm not that close to my goal. I'm at 162 and my first goal is 130, and then I'll decide if I want to lose any more after I get there.
I guess I was very strict over the summer months, I usually ate about 1200- 1300 calories. Since the fall and winter started I still eat about that most days, but some weeks I'll eat one or 2 days a week I'll eat about 1500.
I also work out 5 days a week instead of the six days a week I worked out over the summer.
Like I said earlier, I'm definitely still in deficit so I don't know why I've stalled, but I was also wondering if upping my calories to about 1400 a day is going to drastically alter my weight.
I don't believe it's going to make me start losing weight fast, but I just want to make sure upping my calories is not going to make me gain. I will still definitely be in deficit.
I'm hoping someone with an experience similar to mine could help me out here! I'm not looking for the typical CICO answer of if I'm eating at a deficit I would definitely be losing. I know how much I eat, I don't think I "screwed up my metabolism." I just want to know what's going on with my weight and if I'm okay to eat a little more.

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    I vote for a diet break or at least increasing calories. If you increase slowly you should be less likely to have rebound weight gain. Possibly a couple pounds but not like 10.
  • x3livox
    edited November 2016
    Okay so I feel like I should clarify I have no intention of completely stopping. I still have a ways to go and I'm going to get there no matter how long it takes:)
    My question is more along the lines of
    A) my weight loss is supposed to slow down like this (although like I said it's been a while since I've seen much lbs lost). In which case I'm asking if eating about 200 calories more a day would slow it down even more or if it won't affect me period.
    B)if I should start being super strict with myself again.
    Or C) if i should just keep doing what I've been doing the past couple of weeks, and eventually my weight loss will continue on as before.

for those asking, I do log accurately. And even if by some mistake I wasn't, my maintenance calories at this weight are over 2000, which I don't even eat close to, never mind above.
    Also I do work out.

And thank you all so much for responding!
  • x3livox
    edited November 2016
    Also I just want to thank everyone for not being so preachy (: sometimes I see people ask questions like this and replies can be a little mean.

this is also just a silly thing in my head, but part of me thinks it's because I probably haven't been below this weight since I was in 5th or 6th grade, so pretty much since before puberty. I am only 20, so it's not like it's been 15 years, but this is the least I've weight in my adolescent/ young adult life, and it's like my body isn't sure it can go below that weight
    Like I said, it's just something silly in my head :D sort of my own mind block
  • x3livox
    For those who suggested a diet break, what if I feel I don't need one? I'm not completely opposed to the idea, and would take one if it really is the best thing for me to do, but I feel like a diet break is more for mental reasons and I don't feel like I mentally need one haha
    My wanting to eat just a little more is not cause I'm fatigued or struggling on what I eat, it's just sometimes a pain in the *kitten* to keep up with, and it would be easier to have a little more of a cushion
  • x3livox
    I'll add my 2 cents. I was in a similar situation. I had lost 40 pounds over 2 years. Yes, it took me a while. But consistency, counting calories, and exercise are what did it. Then I stalled out. I could not seem to get over that slump-for months. I was eating 1500 calories per day and my TDEE was 3000. All the math said I should have been dropping weight, I had a huge deficit. A week ago, on the advice of my trainer, I started eating 1800. I have lost 5 pounds. I *kitten* you not! It's too early for me to make a solid conclusion on this. I still have a deficit of about 1000 per day but I am eating more and losing more. That's my story. I would advise eating more. Just give it two weeks and see what happens. I know everyone preaches it is all about CI/CO but sometimes when you are at such a huge deficit it is not that cut and dry. The larger the deficit does not always translate into greater pounds lost. At least not in my experience.

Thank you for sharing your experience! Did you just automatically kick up your calories to 1800? Or was it gradual?
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    The diet break is just for 1 to 3 weeks depending how long you've been in a deficit. It allows your metabolism to recover. The deeper your deficit and the longer you've been in a deficit the more your metabolism slows down- that's just a fact. If you give it a rest and eat at maintenance long enough for it to recover then you can go back into a deficit and see weight loss again. It's not that we're suggesting you stop losing weight, we're suggesting a method you can use to have more effective weight loss... I found a good article on this the other day I'll go find it for you...
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Why do you think you should be eating more? How long has it been since you lost weight? How are you measuring your calorie intake?
    I'd like to know these as well.
    Are you using a food scale for everything that isn't a liquid, OP? That would be the first place I'd check before upping calories.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If you haven't lost weight for over 4 weeks then you are in not in a deficit. If less time then this could be a "plateau" on the scale.
  • Vegplotter
    Vegplotter Posts: 265 Member
    Sorry to sound a bit !!!, but it sounds to me that you are indulging in a diet break now! If you need a rest then have a break, even eat more (though you will need to exercise more to work off those extra calories.)
    If you want to continue to lose weight you'll have to eat less. People seem shocked and a bit frightened to discover that maintenance calories are so low. It just means your body has become far more efficient. Go with whatever you prefer. You know now that you can lose weight, so start again only when you have the mental energy.
    But whatever you decide to do, I'd advise that you MUST keep counting calories, tracking your activity and monitoring your weight. If you stop now I'll guarantee you'll put all the weight back on again. (And some put back more.)
    Good luck!
  • x3livox
    If you haven't lost weight for over 4 weeks then you are in not in a deficit. If less time then this could be a "plateau" on the scale.

I am definitely in deficit