Low Carb (no carb) diet help??

Options

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Join the Low Carber Daily MFP group. There are thousands of low carbers and keto'ers there who have had great success eating this way while losing, and improving their health.

I suggest you check out the following main low-carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Like @nvmomketo above, I too follow a LCHF WOE. I don't call it a "diet" because for me it's a lifestyle. I successfully eliminated 165 pounds so your goal of 20 pounds is definitely attainable. I've been keto now for just over 26 months. I don't starve myself and never have so I'm not sure why you think you'd have to starve yourself on this WOE...? I switched over from weight-loss to weight-maintenance about the middle of this past July. So far I'm maintaining just fine and have moved on to the strength-training and toning up portion of my health journey. Find a WOE that works for you and stick with it. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you OP!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    To lose weight just eat at calorie deficit for you. If you only have 20 lbs to lose .5 -1 lb a week is more appropriate and healthy than expecting to lose 4 lbs a week.
    Input your information into my fitness pal and you will get a calorie goal. Easy. Eat and log any food you want and stick to that calorie deficit. You will lose.
    If you exercise log it and eat a portion of those calories as well.
    You don't have to eat a particular diet. I feel it is most sustainable to mostly eat the way you normally eat and adjust portion sizes and add in more low calorie foods like vegetables.
    Protein, fats and fiber can help you feel more satisfied.
  • julieb47
    julieb47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Nniillaa wrote: »
    Recently, my friend has gone on a low carb diet and has lost 4 pounds in a week without any excersise! I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't want to starve myself/treat my body unhealthily in any way I just want to lose weight healthily. Has anyone ever tried this kind of diet and what results should I actually expect (I want to lose 20 lbs)

Keep in mind that most of that loss is water...one hallmark of a low carb diet is fast, initial water/glycogen losses...I suppose this could give some motivation but just be aware that it will ultimately slow down and over time, it's shown to be as effective for weight loss as anything else.

Also be aware that it is a pretty restrictive diet...people who do this eat high fat, moderate protein, and keep their carbs under 50 grams. Being as restrictive as it is I would suggest doing some research and reading up on this to see what you can and can't eat to see if it's something that would be right for you. I've tried in the past and just couldn't do it and hated eating that way...just eating a bunch of fat made me feel like crap.
    Recently, my friend has gone on a low carb diet and has lost 4 pounds in a week without any excersise! I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but I don't want to starve myself/treat my body unhealthily in any way I just want to lose weight healthily. Has anyone ever tried this kind of diet and what results should I actually expect (I want to lose 20 lbs)

Keep in mind that most of that loss is water...one hallmark of a low carb diet is fast, initial water/glycogen losses...I suppose this could give some motivation but just be aware that it will ultimately slow down and over time, it's shown to be as effective for weight loss as anything else.

Also be aware that it is a pretty restrictive diet...people who do this eat high fat, moderate protein, and keep their carbs under 50 grams. Being as restrictive as it is I would suggest doing some research and reading up on this to see what you can and can't eat to see if it's something that would be right for you. I've tried in the past and just couldn't do it and hated eating that way...just eating a bunch of fat made me feel like crap.

• julieb47
    julieb47 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a steady 2lb a week weight loss since February is water. Neither is this diet restrictive: i can eat meat, including bacon, sausages, liver and other organ meats, game, fish and sea food, dairy including lots of cheese (parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, cream, etc), nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruit. I can make a pizza, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. I can eat cream, mayo, bpc, coconut and olive oil, butter, avocados. I have gall bladder problems but this sort of good fat doesn't cause me any discomfort. I eat 30 grams total carbs every day.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    julieb47 wrote: »
    I don't think that a steady 2lb a week weight loss since February is water.

Nobody said it was. They said the OP's friend's 4 pound loss in a single week was likely water since low carb diets are known to make people drop water weight in the first couple of weeks.
  • Showthyme
    Showthyme Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Women do not do as well on low-carb diets. I did a low-carb diet and lost weight but developed adrenal/thyroid problems. That resolved after I added back some carbs. Eat healthy vegetables and occasional low-sugar fruits too so that you do not stress your body or develop carb sensitivities. Drink plenty of water if you are going the meat, egg, cheese version of low-carb.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Showthyme wrote: »
    Women do not do as well on low-carb diets. I did a low-carb diet and lost weight but developed adrenal/thyroid problems. That resolved after I added back some carbs. Eat healthy vegetables and occasional low-sugar fruits too so that you do not stress your body or develop carb sensitivities. Drink plenty of water if you are going the meat, egg, cheese version of low-carb.

You may not do well on low carb but other women may ..you can't extrapolate your specific experience to a gender just because you're that gender

Choose the option that suits you and that you can stick to

I am not a low carber, it doesn't work for me either but it does for some, irrespective of gender
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I don't believe this generalization is true. Is this your personal opinion or is it based upon something that we could look at as well? Thanks.
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options

I don't believe this generalization is true. Is this your personal opinion or is it based upon something that we could look at as well? Thanks.

I'm not sure if we can really generalize, but I also noticed that people who experience problems on low carb seem to be mostly women. I guess they are more sensitive to hormones' changes.

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Im on a high carb vegan diet....Carbs arent the enemy. Its all the processed crap often found in high carb food. Focus on eating more naturally whole food and youll be better off any happier thn just cutting out an entire energy source. Carbs are fuel.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes but its harder to go over your calorie limits without feeling satisfied eating tons of vegetables aslong as your not an idiot piling high calorie toppings on things and telling yourself its low calorie because its a vegetable, Or whatever XD Are you really tryign to argue veggies dont fill you up and satisfy your body??

Where did i ever say you cant lose weight on processed crap? Or veggies cant make you fat?

Specifically gave a suggestion on how to feel more nourished and happy sticking to a diet that doesnt cut out an entire necessary part.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    Are you really tryign to argue veggies dont fill you up and satisfy your body??

I believe that many of the people who find low carb/keto helpful say that's so for them, yes. It seems that some find fat more satiating and some do not. (I don't, I do find fruit, veg, legumes, and tubers satiating, and also protein.)

So while I find vegetables quite filling (whether processed or not (i.e., frozen, precut, cooked) -- I hate this idea that "processed" means something it does not or that processed food must be "junk food" or not healthful), I don't assume others do. I'd also point out that plenty of processed foods have a lot of fat in it, of course (cheese or butter, for example, is basically all fat, and the typical junk food item about about half fat, half carbs), it's hardly a carb-specific term.

Anyway, my understanding is that beyond the satiating properties of fat, to some, or the non-satiating properties of vegetables to some of the same people, being in ketosis can be helpful for some who struggle with appetite. Obviously one can be in ketosis and still eat some vegetables, so I am not recommending cutting OUT carbs. I think that would be an extreme and generally unhealthful choice, unless there were some specific medical reason for it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Yes but its harder to go over your calorie limits without feeling satisfied eating tons of vegetables aslong as your not an idiot piling high calorie toppings on things and telling yourself its low calorie because its a vegetable, Or whatever XD Are you really tryign to argue veggies dont fill you up and satisfy your body??

This generalization is not true for everyone - me specifically just as an example. I can eat veggies until I am literally gorged and feel too full to move, and a couple of hours later I will be hungry again and have to eat more. Now if you were to lightly saute those veggies in butter or coconut oil and then melt cheese over them just before serving and I can eat less than half the amount and I will not get hungry for several hours. Same goes for starches - by themselves, eat until I'm stuffed and be hungry an hour later, but put some good fats/protein into the mix and I can eat a lot less and not get hungry afterwards.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    ...Are you really tryign to argue veggies dont fill you up and satisfy your body??

I'll bite on that one: Yes, I'll say that veggies don't fill me up and satisfy me. I find a meal consisting entirely of vegetables to be extremely unsatiating - I'm left afterwards with an empty feeling in my stomach just as if I'd tried to drink a bunch of water to fill myself up rather than eating food. I love vegetables as part of my meals and I eat them often, but I need proteins and fats (e.g., meat) to feel full and satisfied. I wouldn't last two days on a vegan diet, I'd be eating the drywall off the kitchen walls around me. Satiety is a very individual thing.

...Specifically gave a suggestion on how to feel more nourished and happy sticking to a diet that doesnt cut out an entire necessary part.

So you recommend that the OP avoid a restrictive diet (keto) and substitute it with an equally or more restrictive diet (vegan)? Insightful.
  • Showthyme
    Showthyme Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I'm not sure if we can really generalize, but I also noticed that people who experience problems on low carb seem to be mostly women. I guess they are more sensitive to hormones' changes.

Yes. It is my experience and there are many references to it on the Internet. Google low carb and thyroid. There are many references for women who initially have good success with Paleo and then begin to gain. Google low carb and hormones. I wasn't aware of these issues until my doctor brought it to my attention. I had no previous health issues until I ate low carb for some time. I now eat lower carb. Each day, I have vegetables and occasionally, I eat fruit.

I am not telling the OP not to do low-carb. I just want her to be an informed low-carb dieter.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    julieb47 wrote: »
    I don't think that a steady 2lb a week weight loss since February is water. Neither is this diet restrictive: i can eat meat, including bacon, sausages, liver and other organ meats, game, fish and sea food, dairy including lots of cheese (parmesan, cheddar, mozzarella, cream, etc), nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruit. I can make a pizza, cookies, cakes, muffins, etc. I can eat cream, mayo, bpc, coconut and olive oil, butter, avocados. I have gall bladder problems but this sort of good fat doesn't cause me any discomfort. I eat 30 grams total carbs every day.

You can eat fruit and make pizza, cookies, cakes, etc...in very, very small quantities and not on a routine basis if you're eating 30 grams total carbs...if you're restricting an entire macro, by default it's a restrictive diet...get real...do you even dictionary?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Im on a high carb vegan diet....Carbs arent the enemy. Its all the processed crap often found in high carb food. Focus on eating more naturally whole food and youll be better off any happier thn just cutting out an entire energy source. Carbs are fuel.

Carbs aren't the enemy, that is correct...but my diet consists largely of whole foods and I can easily gain weight doing that...there are any number of calorie dense whole foods...granted it's a lot harder to overeat but it's very possible...I'm trying to drop 8-10 Lbs I've gained over the past 16 weeks or so that I've been hampered in my ability to exercise...the fact that I eat primarily whole foods didn't change the fact that I was in a surplus the last 16 weeks.

Also, IMO being vegan is more restrictive than keto...and it requires much more knowledge about nutrition to actually get what your body needs.
  • FlowerBomber
    FlowerBomber Posts: 3 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I have insulin resistance. Meaning, I am almost pre-diabetic, but have recently lost 24 lbs in the past few months and have lowered my chances of transitioning to full blown diabetes. Right now, I am finding heavy carbs of ANY kind tricky. Not bread or processed carbs, not fruit so much, but things like potatoes, rice and beans. They seem to make me tired and dizzy. So i know they are skyrocketing my blood sugars. I am trying to figure out what to do, as those are my basic go to's . I like quinoa and other grains, but not as much as rice and rice pasta. It's a tricky thing for some people. I know that "healthy" carbs can be bad for those with insulin resistance. I've heard it from several cardiologist who specialize in diabetes.
  • JaydedMiss
    edited November 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Are you really tryign to argue veggies dont fill you up and satisfy your body??

I'll bite on that one: Yes, I'll say that veggies don't fill me up and satisfy me. I find a meal consisting entirely of vegetables to be extremely unsatiating - I'm left afterwards with an empty feeling in my stomach just as if I'd tried to drink a bunch of water to fill myself up rather than eating food. I love vegetables as part of my meals and I eat them often, but I need proteins and fats (e.g., meat) to feel full and satisfied. I wouldn't last two days on a vegan diet, I'd be eating the drywall off the kitchen walls around me. Satiety is a very individual thing.

...Specifically gave a suggestion on how to feel more nourished and happy sticking to a diet that doesnt cut out an entire necessary part.

So you recommend that the OP avoid a restrictive diet (keto) and substitute it with an equally or more restrictive diet (vegan)? Insightful.

Fair enough i still dont see whats so bad about suggesting they add stuff to their diet instead of subtracting. Pretty basic long term weight loss info. Id be doing them a dishonor if i didnt recomend this seeing as taking away all carbs is not sustainable long term however adding tons of veggies is.

I never suggsted a vegan lifestyle XD funny you guys keep reading into my words when all i said was add lots of vegetables vs subrtacting all carbs XD