Bye Coffee?

Options

Replies

• peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    jazelise3 wrote: »
    I love coffee. Who doesn't? Rhetorical question :smile: Lol
    I like my coffee sweet. International Delights French Vanilla creamer, like a lot of it, and 3 tsp sugar. My morning coffee devours my breakfast calories. But I still need to eat breakfast which has me starving myself until dinner to save those calories.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to cut my sugar and calorie intake with my morning coffee? I can't drink it black. I've tried. I've tried coconut creamer, its Ok but watery. I like my coffee more creamy, and I can't drink other nut milk/creamer (allergy)
    Am I at a loss or what? Green Tea is too much for me.

I used to have such a sweet tooth for coffee. When I first started lifting, I cut my sugars to less than 40 grams per day. I could either drink my super-sweet coffee and then be limited the rest of the day, or I could stop the coffee habit and have more filling, nutritious foods. I decided on the latter. But let me tell you, I found alternatives. I always got a latte from Starbuck's, usually the in-season flavor, or an iced coffee with vanilla and cream. My alternatives? Replace cream with skim milk and get the sugar-free flavor options. They are just as good and have 0 grams of sugar (usually 0 calories as well). My daily latte was replaced with a grande Americano with steamed skim milk and 6 shots of sugar-free vanilla.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Side note: You can buy the sugar-free syrups from Starbuck's online store if you like to brew your own.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    1 tsp. Heavy cream or a little more half and half is about 20 cal. and really lightens my coffee. I don't use sweetener (anymore, former DD "extra sugar extra light" coffee drinker here) but use a little Splenda or whatever.

I gave up sugar in my coffee years ago, cold turkey, somehow didn't miss it.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I put protein powder in my coffee, with a tsp of Bailey's mudslide. The protein powder makes it creamier and I get the extra 25g of protein without the added calories of milk/almond milk.
  • SuperNerd42
    SuperNerd42 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

IME as both a barista and consumer, frothed milk doesn't make milk creamier, just.....frothed!

Also a former barista- frothed milk has a different mouth-feel than plain milk- it might get closer to that viscosity of the creamer.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I use liquid sugar free creamer and a packet of stevia in mine, sweet enough for me. Still some calories in the creamer of course, but less because it's sugar free. Stevia has carbs but no calories.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I do frothed whipping cream or unfrothed heavy cream (half & half is the lightest I'll go). No sweetener. I weaned myself down off of a lot of sugar when I went low carb. Tried xylitol at first but it upset my stomach so now I just do the cream.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I have to doctor my coffee big time. I use xylitol instead of sugar. It is a 1:1 exchange with sugar. I use a powdered creamer instead of liquid as I tend to use less of it for some reason. I allow for myself to have 2-3 cups per day and still have breakfast.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I can't drink tea or coffee without milk, but i did manage to cut out the 3tsp of sugar i was adding to each cup of tea. I drink 6-7 cups a day, so that was a boatload of sugar and wasted calories. I just simply reduced the amount of sugar slowly until i was down to none, and now, even a half tsp of sugar tastes too sweet!

My recommendation would be to add some vanilla protein powder, add maybe 10-15g and a little milk then blend with a stick blender to make it smooth and frothy, then top up with boiling water. You shouldn't have to add any or much sugar at all.
    I'm in Australia and the only choices we have are milk or black, we don't have creamers here.
  • CarolF11
    CarolF11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cutting back slowly on the sugar and creamer. Example first week or two have 2tsp of sugar instead of three, and so on. When you are down to one tsp then go on onto the creamer,only having one serving of creamer and one tsp of sugar at the end.
  • joseccastaneda
    joseccastaneda Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Never tried it but would vitafibre thicken it up enough?
  • jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I found this while reading an article this morning and remembered this post. Hope this add to the discussion. Fancy coffee drinks from trendy coffee joints often pack several hundred calories, thanks to whole milk, whipped cream, sugar, and sugary syrups. A cup of regular coffee with skim milk has just a small fraction of those calories. And when brewed with good beans, it tastes just as great. You can also try nonfat powdered milk in coffee. You’ll get the nutritional benefits of skim milk, which is high in calcium and low in calories. And, because the water has been removed, powdered milk doesn’t dilute the coffee the way skim milk does.
  • tjones0411
    tjones0411 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I agree with the cut-back slowly suggestion. As many have mentioned, I also used to drink my coffee light and sweet. I cut back on the sugar to the point of taking it out completely. The thought of sweet coffee now makes me cringe. I do agree that coffee is a creamy drink, so I still add half and half, but just a splash now.
  • terrinicolefit
    terrinicolefit Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    International Delights Creamer have fat free and sugar free creamers. Try that :)
  • LookingforWhatsHerName
    Options
    I use all full fat dairy products. I find that I don't need to add as much sweetener, if any, because the full fat versions are already rich and delicious. For example, I eat whole Greek yogurt adding only fruit, nuts, and oats. I also use heavy cream in my coffee. I tbsp of heavy cream is 50 cal and is plenty sweet/rich to me. Fat seems to have a better impact on energy and satiety for me, its actually even more important than protein for me.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I stopped adding sugar to hot drinks a few years back, just out of curiosity, and now I can't STAND sugar in coffee. I just stopped, cold turkey. Still have a splash of milk, though. 1% fat. Mmmmm milk.
  • adamyovanovich
    adamyovanovich Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Use almond or soy milk to make it creamier, at only 45-60 calories per cup! Then buy sugar free flavor syrup and add that.
  • kimmy792016
    kimmy792016 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using agave nectar instead of sugar xx
  • Cyndiaquino
    Cyndiaquino Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, the 30 cal for 8 oz would be a good way to cut back and to still be able to add your sugar.