Laboring Towards Labor Day (CLOSED GRP)

Options

Replies

• BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Yay everybody!! And especially my Orange Teammates who carried us to second place inspite of my vacation gain :embarassed:

Am loving the team aspect!! Thanks Denise!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Congrats Red Team and Jill! And Thanks Denise for everything you do for us! You're awesome!!!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Yay everybody!! And especially my Orange Teammates who carried us to second place inspite of my vacation gain :embarassed:

Am loving the team aspect!! Thanks Denise!

the teams were suggested by newimproved (charmaine)...i'm glad we decided to go with it....it makes it more fun and i think we are giving and getting more support???? to the whole group but also to our teammates????

i think 20lbs the first week with fourth of july at the start of that week is a pretty good loss for a group of 23 with 1 person not reporting....we can do better though this week....i challenge the group to lose 23lbs....that is 1lb a pc.....do what you can, healthily to reach the goal of 1lb lost by the 18th....
  • Sonnut
    Sonnut Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Gooooooo Team BLUE! I'm back and ready to roll! Yes, I was on a nice long vacation (gained a couple pounds....sorry team), but now I'm back and ready to get back on track!

My name is Sonja by the way.

Starting Weight: was 161.something when I left for vacation, but now is 164.4
    Goal Weight: 150 by the end of this challenge, but 140 ultimately (to be re-evaluated when I get there)

7/01: 161.something
    7/11: 164.4 (sorry team)
    7/18:
    7/25:
    8/01:
    8/08:
    8/15:
    8/22:
    8/29:
    9/05: GOAL 150
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Congrats Red team great job this week and congrats Jill for a great weight loss!!!

Woot woot 2nd place orange team that's awesome!!!! Let's keep rocking and rolling everyone and make sure we are staying hydrated as I know some states are reaching all time high's I know we are for sure here in VA the humidity is well above 100 degrees I got my first 78oz down working on my 2nd I might max out a 3 for the day total!!!

Looking foward to another great week and I love the chart breakdown thanks again Denise!!!
  • CrysButcher3
    CrysButcher3 Posts: 322
    Options
    Congratulations Red team! :)
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    Wow…thanks everybody for the support! So proud of our TEAM RED!!! We've got some awesome TEAMS!
    A big thank you to Denise for encouraging me to join this challenge. I joined her July 4th group and actually ended up with a gain of 4 lbs at the end of it…so I really wanted to quit on myself. Denise said to come back and keep trying…thanks, Denise. The water challenge really helped, too.

My challenge is for us all to try one NEW Healthy Recipe this week. If you already have a favorite one, please post it for all to try. If you don’t cook, the challenge is to try one NEW Healthy Item from a menu this week…or you could try cutting up veggies so they'll be ready in the fridge for a healthy snack (that counts as cooking, right?)

The recipe below is a dip I take to get togethers so that I can make sure there’s going to be something there I can eat. It’s great with cut veggies and also a good substitute for mayo! It’s got 1.9 grams of protein and only 20 calories per TWO tablespoons. Hope you like it!

Red Pepper-Cheese Dip
    YIELD: 16 servings (serving size: 2 tablespoons = 20 calories and 1.9 grams protein)
    Ingredients
    1 large red bell pepper
    1 small onion, peeled and halved
    Cooking spray
    1 whole garlic head
    1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    1/2 cup (4 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Preparation
    Preheat broiler.
    Cut bell pepper in half lengthwise, and discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove peel and discard. Set roasted pepper aside.
    Reduce oven temperature to 400°.
    Place onion halves, cut sides down, on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Remove white papery skin from garlic head (do not peel or separate the cloves). Wrap in foil. Place garlic on baking sheet with onion. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; turn over onion halves. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until onions are soft and begin to brown. Place onion halves on a plate. Return garlic to oven, and bake an additional 15 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Separate the cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
    Place roasted pepper, onion, and garlic pulp in a food processor; process until fairly smooth. Add yogurt, cheese, cumin seed, and ground red pepper; process until smooth. Spoon dip into a bowl, and stir in parsley. Cover and chill.
    Enjoy with cut veggies! Also great as a spread in place of mayo!
    From: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/red-pepper-cheese-dip-10000000701059/
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Options
    OK I am finishing up my 3rd 78oz of water for the day!!! I am going to be up all night in the bathroom!

I love your challenge Jill and here is the recipe I am going to try this week!!

Abs Diet Green Gobbler Lasagna
    1egg
    1 1/2c Fat free Ricotta
    1/2tsp black pepper
    1T each minced garlic and dried oregano
    1 28ox can crushed tomatoes (=
    6 whole wheat lasagna noodles
    3c torn baby spinach leaves
    1 1/2c finely chopped roast turkey
    3/4c part skim shredded mozzarella

Preheat 375. Spray 12x8 baking dish. Beat egg and mix in ricotta, pepper, oregano, and garlic. Spread 1/4c of the crushed tomatoes in the bottom of the dish, top with noodles, then half the ricotta mixture, half the spinach, half the turkey, half the remaining tomatoes, and half the cheese. Top with remaining noodles, ricotta mix, spinach, turkey, tomatoes, and cheese. Loosely cover with foil and bake 45 mins.

I am going to get fresh tomato and crush them myself!! I will let you all know how it turns out!
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i love the recipe idea...i will post something before i go on vacation....i have only one more meal to cook before we go away so i may not be able to cook something new as i already have hamb taken out for something tomorrow night but i'll look around for a new recipe for it if i have time tomorrow at work....otherwise i'll definitely pick a healthy choice off a menu and plan on preparing stuff once we get settled in the camper starting monday the 18th.....great idea...thanks to the two that posted already...i want to try both recipes...
  • jllipson
    jllipson Posts: 646
    Options
    Congratulations to all of our loser :smile:

I like the challenge for this week. I will also be out part of next week, but will have my computer, so I can check in. I will weigh in prior to leaving also (hopefully a loss, despite today's bad eating...) Welcome Back Sonja!

Goooooo Team Blue - let's show a big loss this week!
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I am LOVING this challenge with the groups and overall participation and encouragement! It's amazing how much more encouraged you feel when you stay connected.

Congratulations, Jill, on being our biggest loser! Way to start dropping that 4lb gain! I'm up myself from the July 4th challenge, about 4lbs right now, but was up 6.

Am having a hard time keeping it together and resisting temptations recently. I'm an emotional eater and last weekend was EXTREMELY stressful. My sweet dog, Harper, starting urinating blood on Friday night. Paid over $150 at the vet the next day (now she is much better!). Then Sunday our car broke down on the interstate and it appears it will need thousands of dollars worth of repairs to get it running again. My husband and I live off of one salary so needless to say, money's tight. These stresses weighed on us so we started bickering at each other and had a couple fights (why can't we keep the peace and buddy up in trying times? Anyone else have this problem?) which also didn't help.

On a good note I saw a new, better podiatrist who gave me good news about the foot surgery (bunions). The last doctor I saw said I couldn't put weight on it for 6 weeks, then get a walking boot, then physical therapy, and he treated me as if it was urgent it get taken care of (hardly spent any time w/ me and didn't even touch my feet...isn't that his job?) The new doctor said 1 week with no weight, then the walking boot, possibly back to work within 3-4 weeks post-op, physical therapy isn't always necessary, and he spent as much time as I needed answering questions and walking me through the procedure. Won't be doing it until January, but I'm very comforted by this doctor who takes his time and informs his patients.

Whew, sorry to write a book here, but just wanted to update everyone at once.

I will have to post my recipe later this week, but what a great idea!!! I am in need of some new recipes so keep 'em coming ladies! Excited to try out the dip with some veggies.

Hope everyone's having a great week so far! Thinking small #s for Saturday!
  • dixedreg
    dixedreg Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Love this weeks challenge GO TEAM ORANGE!!
    Here one of my favorite fast, easy, SPICY recipes

CHIPOTLE ORANGE SHRIMP

Serves 4 people
    Ingredients
    Goya - Chipotle Peppers In Adobo Sauce, 2 Tbsp
    Marmalade - Orange, 1 tbsp
    Spices - Pepper, black, 1 tsp
    Badia - Mojo Marinade, 2 Tbsp.
    Kitchen Basics - Unsalted Chicken Stock, 1/8 cup
    Shrimp - Raw, 16.0 oz

Put the first 5 ingredients into a ziploc bag and mix well. I usually squish the bag around a bit.
    Unzip the bag and toss in the shrimp for about 20 min.
    Put those shrimp on a grill or broil them.
    Delish!
    Calories Carbs Fat Protein Potass Sodium
    Per Serving: 141 6 2 23 228 304
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Bravo Red team and Jill for being the biggest loser!!!

I love ya Team Teal!!! Awesome and this challenge is boosting my spirit.

Pasta salad
    Boil pasta- firm
    grape tomatoes halved
    1/2 seedless cucumber quartered
    1 yellow pepper
    1 can of cannellini beans drained and rinse
    1 small red onion
    2 oz feta cheese or goat cheese
    1/4 kalamata olives
    1/4 cup chopped mint
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
    1 teas frech minced garlic
    1/2 teas dijon mustard
    1/4 teas oregano
    salt to taste if you need to
    1/8 fresh pepper
    334 caloires 13g protein 49 carbohydrates 11g fat 7g fiber
    after pasta cooks and cools mix everything together
    Bon Appetite!!
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    LadyPersia, dixedreg, newImproved2011 - Big thanks to you for getting us off to a great start with some delicious healthy recipes. I've already added them to my collection and plan on trying them! I think I've been in a rut & these recipes will add something new!

Good luck to All Teams this week! Let's make every effort to meet Denise's challenge to lose 1 lb each! Let's show her we can do it!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    I don't know what my problem is this week but I'm refusing to go grocery shopping :laugh: So yesterday I HAD to find a new recipe with the few things I had in my pantry. Here's what I found, its from Fix it and Forget it Lightly. SOOO easy! Pretty tasty too, my 1 yr old ate it and so did my husband.

Ingredients:
    2- 5oz cans water packed tuna
    16 oz pkg frozen veggies
    1 can 98% fat free cream of chicken soup

Preparation:
    Combine all ingredients in slow cooker. Cover. Cook on high 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
    *Makes 3 servings*

THATS IT! So easy! I put it over a cup of brown rice. My total calories for dinner last night- 345!!!! 175 for the tuna, and 170 for the rice!
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Options
    Loving all of the recipes I have some new things to try love it!!!

I am heading out of town for 2 days but I plan on working really hard to stay focus on eating I have already checked out the schedule for the local gyms to get my workouts in now I just have to be good with eating. Going to work really hard Jill to meet Denise goal for us even with a mini vacation and my B-day on Fri.

Let's goooooooooo Orange Team!!!:drinker: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    ...and my B-day on Fri.

Is your birthday THIS Friday?? Mine is! I'm turning 40 !! :drinker: Whoooo-whooo !
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I got this off a website called skinnytaste.com and it is SO good!

Skinny Sloppy Joes
    Adapted from Rachel Ray
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 7 • Serving Size: 1/2 cup or 1/4 lb • Old Points: 2 pts • Points+: 3 pts
    Calories: 121.8 • Fat: 3.7 g • Protein: 13.7 g • Carb: 9.9 g • Fiber: 2.1 g

1.25 lbs 93% lean ground beef sirloin
    1 tbsp steak seasoning or seasoned salt
    1 carrot, minced
    1 medium onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
    4 oz mushrooms, minced
    1 tbsp red wine vinegar
    1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
    2 cups tomato sauce
    2 tbsp tomato paste

Chop all the vegetables really fine, using a chopper or food processor.

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meat to the pan and break it up as it cooks. Season with steak seasoning and cook the meat until it browns, then add onion, garlic, carrots, mushrooms and red peppers to the skillet. Reduce heat to medium and add red wine vinegar and Worcestershire sauce, cook 5 more minutes. Add tomato sauce and paste to pan, stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to simmer and cook an additional 5 minutes. Using a measuring cup, pile 1/2 cup of sloppy meat onto toasted buns
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Ok, one more. This one came right off the MFP boards about a year ago. It's so good, even my husband likes it! Basically she married a southern man who wanted his fried chicken but she didn't want all that grease, so she came up with this....

Oven "Fried" Chicken

Ingredients
    1 cup PANKO breadcrumbs
    1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1 tsp salt
    2 eggs, beaten
    4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    Cooking oil spray

Directions
    Pre-heat oven to 375. Lightly coat a baking dish or sheet with cooking spray. Combine first 5 ingredients in a shallow bowl. Dust them in flour first, then dip each chicken breast in the beaten eggs and then coat both sides with the bread crumb mixture. Arrange the chicken breasts on a baking sheet.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cooked throughout.
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Options
    ...and my B-day on Fri.

Is your birthday THIS Friday?? Mine is! I'm turning 40 !! :drinker: Whoooo-whooo !

That's awesome we share the same B-day I'm turning 36!!!!!