Has anyone lost on one diet and maintained...

Options
2»

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Shy_1114 wrote: »
    I lost the majority of my weight (the first 100 pounds or so) on Atkins. I lost the last 54 on just eating regular foods in moderation. I've kept the majority of the 154 off for about 8 years with fairly "normal" eating. I'm working on l losing 20 pounds of pregnancy weight right now, and I'm doing the moderation thing again. I was thinking about doing Atkins again, but I am breastfeeding and I'm not sure if being in ketosis is something that would mess with that.

Ok so this is what I was after in my OP. How was the transition from Atkins to just regular eating? Any weight gain? Was there a time lapse during transition
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I lost my 63 pounds eating ~40c/30/30. I maintained about 2 years doing the same then switched to keto for a reason other than weight and have continued to maintain. I've kept the same level of calories and activity throughout maintenance changing only macros/what I eat.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Lost with low carb/low fat/mod protein. Maintain with low carb/high fat/ mod protein.
    Oops, forgot maintenance with intermittent fasting.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Lost over 100 lbs. via keto. Gained 27 lbs. vis keto. Lost 15 lbs. via psmf. Maintaining via LCHP for a couple of weeks before cutting again, then gonna give "bodybuilder" macros a try for theh bulk after that. I am not a carb fan, but I am willing to give it a try for a cycle to see if there's anything to the claims. If my gains end up being identical to (or less than) my CKD gains, I'm going back to that from now on.

The cutting diet will pretty much always be the same though, because it works, it works fast, and I care about as much about "sustainability" in a diet as I do about stock portfolios in Libya.
  • khhregister
    khhregister Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds on a juice fast a couple of years ago. That brought me down from 187 to 180. Since then, I've been hovering right around 180 (15 lbs overweight). I'm on a simple CI<CO diet, higher protein and lower carb than I used to eat. But it's been very slow going, mainly because I loose a couple of pounds and get complacent and undo all my good work with a week off from the gym and eating out too much (not measuring).
    So I've got a lot of good experience at maintenance in this style of eating, but not a lot of good experience at losing with this current diet.
    I need to work on consistency. I truly believe I can lose this way, but I have to cut out these fairly regular lapses.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Pretty much the same as when I was losing. Maintenance for 2.5 years now. I allow myself a treat almost every day but never think of it as a treat. And I am a little less compulsive about logging calories, although I do it daily. I just don't log extra things like tomato slices or a pickle, any more. I eat as I did when I lost ... because it's just how I ate then and how I eat now. I am all about healthy, so fats and red meat and white stuff (bread, potatoes, etc.) just aren't a part of my diet. You are right - most maintenance people pretty much eat the same as when they lost ... at least those who maintain 5 years +, I believe.
  • allie2girlz
    allie2girlz Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    lost weight using low carb high fat (moderate protein), have maintained for six months with same food just trying to eat a few more calories. I think I need to add a few more healthy whole carbs back to my diet (sweet potatoes, quinoa) so I don't have to worry so much about losing more weight. I currently eat about 25g carbs per day, thinking about trying 50g carbs per day and seeing how that works for me
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I lost 75 pounds in 18 months...

Atkins...did this diet first. Lost 35 pounds fast. Missed pasta bad! Switched to:

Weight watchers...did this diet 2nd. Lost 15 more pounds. Missed real food with fat in it bad. Switched to:

Diet and Exercise...lost last 25 pounds doing this. Felt great. No diet other than counting calories and burning those babies off. Ate whatever I wanted. Drank what I wanted. Counted calories. Maintained weight now for 4 or 5 years.

P.S. I drank beer and bourbon on all three plans...I just counted the calories.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't consider the way I eat to be a "diet", yes it's MY diet...it's just a way of eating. When I'm cutting I eat high volume veg, lean meat, protein bars, protein ice cream, coffee, flavor and dress with hot sauce. Honestly...not much. Now, my TDEE is low, so when I'm in maintaining I just throw some avocado and cheese back in my diet.

Wow that sounds boring.
  • quietapathy
    quietapathy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I maintained, I just didn't count calories. I was able to keep my weight within a few pounds, just never lost any. So when I decided to lose a little more weight, I started counting calories again. But I don't eat any differently, except for the period I went vegan. I just make sure to weigh myself regularly when maintaining and not counting calories so I can see if I'm putting on pounds, because sometimes I'm in denial when my pants start fitting a little tighter :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes I eat like I ate when I was losing. But then when I was losing I just ate like I always ate but with smaller portions and less milk, cheese, and bread.