Running is it good for you?

Options

Replies

• Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    JinjoJoey wrote: »
    I've been running pretty much every day for a year now. I started at 275lbs and am now 170lbs. I can run a good 3-4 miles without breaking so much as a sweat or getting winded. It's amazing. I know some people rag on cardio and promote weight training instead (not that there's anything wrong with weight training) but man, my health has never been better. My resting heart rate is in the 50s, my blood pressure is as low as can be (healthy low) and I can't remember the last time I felt out of breath. As others have mentioned, though, to lose fat, you need to eat at a calorie deficit. Jogging definitely helps create a larger defecit.

Yeah I'm about 275lbs I do intervals, jog for a minute then walk for a minute and a half I do this for about 30 minutes I get a good 1.63 miles going to start crease my distance soon. Slow and steady. Hehe
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Eating in a deficit loses body fat.

Sure, and one way to do that is exercising to create a calorie deficit! :smile:

Read my second paragraph it states this as well as you can out eat your running burns or deficit.

do u ever get really hungry after a long run/jog? i like running at night (i live in a gated area so it's safe) cause i tend to get lost in the music and enjoy the cool breeze...but i come home, shower and want to eat, especially things like pb and bananas and turkey avocado hummus sandwiches...it kinda bothers me cause i go to bed soon after

That sounds so nice to run at night but I get hungry after workout that's why I don't work out at night not good to eat before bed.

Eating before bed is fine (assuming you can sleep after eating of course). It has no impact on your weight loss.

Running burns more calories than just about any other exercise. It also strengthens your heart and lungs and the mental workout you get cannot be beat. But, as everyone has said, you cannot outrun a poor diet. Running does allow you to eat more. Just be careful to not overdo it (keep logging and you will be fine).

Good luck.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Depends, are there zombies?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

Read my second paragraph it states this as well as you can out eat your running burns or deficit.

do u ever get really hungry after a long run/jog? i like running at night (i live in a gated area so it's safe) cause i tend to get lost in the music and enjoy the cool breeze...but i come home, shower and want to eat, especially things like pb and bananas and turkey avocado hummus sandwiches...it kinda bothers me cause i go to bed soon after

I've been known to eat 2500-3000 calories after my long runs. But that is relative to my goals as a lifter when on a cut. I usually don't run when my goal is to bulk because I want my energy level as high as possible so I don't burn out my potential lifts not to mention one needs plenty of rest to build muscles and running just taxes my ability to rest as much as possible.

It's important to eat enough food and hit your macros to replenish glycogen stores and help either retain muscle(if cut) or build muscle (on a bulk). If you are on a run program you can pre-determine your calories burned by this formula.

Body weight (lbs) * .63 * miles = calories you burn.

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    .... and started jogging outside much harder than the treadmill I do have to say.

I also trained on the treadmill, then moved to the outdoors in the spring. I was surprised at how much harder it was. Keep at it, though. Your body catches up within a few weeks. It just has to learn to move your body forward, which is another set of muscles.
    Just pull it back a little (shorter running intervals, for example) and expect less from your outdoor runs for awhile.
    Sounds like you're doing really well with your training. Well done!
  • jroulo
    jroulo Posts: 50 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Using a heart rate monitor made a big difference in my running. I can be sure I am working as hard as I should be whether I'm running outdoors or on the treadmill. If my pace slows because I haven't run for a while I work to keep my heart rate up where it should be.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    ka97 wrote: »
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Because careful with running, because of the high injury rate (>20%). If you get joint, shin or foot pain, stop running. :+1:

I would love to know the source of this data.

OP - as the above posters have said, fat loss is the result of a calorie deficit. Running is a great calorie burner and will definitely help with creating that deficit, as long as you also keep your calorie intake in check.
    Running is also great for overall cardiovascular health. And most people who run will tell you it is great for mental and emotional health.
    Running too much or too hard too soon can result in injury. Doing too much of anything too soon can result in injury. It sounds like you are off to a good start. If at some point you want to increase your running intervals I suggest checking out the C25k app - it will give you a structured plan for increasing running/decreasing walking without overdoing it.

I usually eat about 1500 to 1800 calories a day and I Run 5 times a day and I'm really good at pacing myself and focusing on my breathing and yes it really does help with my mental emotional health as well. I actually use the app it's great I love it. Thank you

5 times a day?!

To the bathroom, maybe?
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Getting famished after a long run is caused (a lot of the time) by your body craving carbs. A lot of people use carbs as their main running fuel, instead of teaching the body how to use natural body fat stores as the primary fuel source (which there are copious amounts of.
  • melaniefave41
    melaniefave41 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    No; don't do it. Running is awful.
  • Getfitat54
    Getfitat54 Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I started running again in an effort to "lose" weight. Bottom line is this, burn more calories then you take in. When I was running (trust me, I am a very novice runner) my clothes started fitting a little looser... then I think it became a mindset. I felt better, so I ate better, more more.... then I started losing weight. I hope this helps.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options
    jroulo wrote: »
    Using a heart rate monitor made a big difference in my running. I can be sure I am working as hard as I should be whether I'm running outdoors or on the treadmill. If my pace slows because I haven't run for a while I work to keep my heart rate up where it should be.

Yeah I have a polar watch but need a battery haven't used it in a while. I've been on the Fitbit hype and I mostly just use that for right now. I did test the polar watch and the Fitbit and I know the Fitbit heartbeat is off by 20 it take too long to calculate and with the calories its off by 80 to 95 sometimes. But most definitely going to get a battery start using my heart rate thanks.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options

I've been known to eat 2500-3000 calories after my long runs. But that is relative to my goals as a lifter when on a cut. I usually don't run when my goal is to bulk because I want my energy level as high as possible so I don't burn out my potential lifts not to mention one needs plenty of rest to build muscles and running just taxes my ability to rest as much as possible.

It's important to eat enough food and hit your macros to replenish glycogen stores and help either retain muscle(if cut) or build muscle (on a bulk). If you are on a run program you can pre-determine your calories burned by this formula.

Hey

I was wondering what you mean by calculating what you're burning when you're running? Body weight + the miles you have ran will equal your calories burned? Thanks just want to make sure I understand you correctly
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Hey

I was wondering what you mean by calculating what you're burning when you're running? Body weight + the miles you have ran will equal your calories burned? Thanks just want to make sure I understand you correctly

Bodyweight (in lbs) x .63 x miles is the formula
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @melaniefave41 is a prime example of why you shouldn't run! (jk)

Running is great for you as long as you're not running with scissors or you don't run in front of a bus. You're biggest risk is doing too much too soon since your cardiovascular system adapts to it much faster than your tendons and bones.

Running is also a great way to lose weight *IF* you don't eat back all the calories your burn. When I started I lost 35 pounds in the first six months. Since then I've maintained my weight because I love beer, food, and beer.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Learned-From-Simpsons-EMGN21.jpg
    ^My overall thoughts on running.
    It's something I wanted to do for years as an overweight kid though. It also helps keep my TDEE up and gives me more calories to eat.

It's up to you to decide if you'd like it. Personally, I'd hate crap like Soul Cycling and Zumba.
  • Lovemehatemebytchez
    Options

Hey

Thanks, but I'm just a little slow at not understanding what you mean I need more context. So where did the 63 come from? And is it Pounds × 63 × miles =?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Hey

Thanks, but I'm just a little slow at not understanding what you mean I need more context. So where did the 63 come from? And is it Pounds × 63 × miles =?

its 0.63 (zero point sixty three) which came form the clever person who first came up with the formula in a scientific way...
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Cals per, running, mile is bodyweight in lbs * 0.63 - So at 160lbs I burn roughly 100 cals per mile. In a 5K I'll burn c300 calories, a 10K about 600 and in a Half Marathon c1300cals.

Walking is 0.31 * lbs

The scaling factors are derived from lab research.