Disappointed in MFP people

Options

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,067 Member
    Options
    It would be great if we had a "Rant" category too. . . .in the tabs above.
  • Hyster1
    Hyster1 Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm so with you on this. None of us are perfect so just keep it to yourself. This is all hard enough as it is.:smile:
  • peasgarden
    peasgarden Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Super agree!!!!! Hellooo! we are a community i dont see what's the purpose of existing as a *group* forum if there are insensible people without the will to help mutually! We need to be supportive, sensibles and respectful. Becoming healthy has to be something integral!!
  • meka325
    meka325 Posts: 47
    Options
    I've really only had good experiences here. I'm sure the boards are full of snark, but that's what you get with message boards and the internet in general. Mainly, I've found most MFP people to be nice and supportive.
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I have always thought that MFP was an awesome site and that everyone on here was so motivated to help others with their journies, but you know what I've discovered on here by reading a few forums? People on here are so freaking judgemental and rude...a lot of people are new to this site and a lot of people are going to have "stupid" questions or questions that have been asked before many times. But you know what? It's not that easy for most people to start a brand new lifestyle so they come here looking for support and what do they get? RUDE and JUDGEMENTAL people just the opposite of what they are looking for...so a touch of advice...IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANYTHING NICE OR POSITIVE TO SAY (edit) don't say anything at atll!!

Totally agree. I read something earlier that sat the wrong way with me and I thought was a little mean. That being said, MOST (not all) but most of the people here have been so wonderful, encouraging and helpful. Thankfully they are far more of them than the ones who never learned the lesson, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything."
  • MicMar66
    MicMar66 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    very well said!!! i'm thankful when i joined and asked questions that have been answered over and over that i didnt get any rude people responding otherwise i probably would have left.

Me too!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I had the same thought when I read the post this morning about newbies always asking the same "dumb" questions. I have not asked any questions, but it would be really hurtful if I had, as a newby, and been attacked by people who discovered the site before me and who have zero patience for others who are not professionals at this site yet. Just don't read the post if you don't like it or if it has been asked a million times before. That's what I do.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    So true! A few kind words can go a long way!
  • TheOddOne
    TheOddOne Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I started using the App in June... just recently started browsing the forums. There have been some questions I've wanted to ask but decided not to. I do not have the internet (I don't even own a computer) so my access is limited to just my phone. The search function does work but takes forever to load on my carrier. Since having to type on my phone, I'm sometimes prone to typos and fun auto correct issues.... so I've avoided posting for the most part. I might make more of an effort in the future bit for now I Linda like not getting slammed and labeled a stupid noob.
  • chantel14
    chantel14 Posts: 128
    Options
    I have to agree with you its very sad.. someone in my family signed up and after reading a thread about how people got so ticked off about spelling they almost left the site and are still afraid to post ANYTHING in the forum... this person has a learning disability and its hard for them spell and see things correctly... I convinced this person to stay ... and that not everyone is like that... after all we are here to motivate and encourage not belittle and be rude and mean.. right?

that just made me so sad :(
  • webdiva1
    webdiva1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Meh. Poopyheads are everywhere.

Can't stop 'em and, this being America (OK, well, *I'm* in America, anyway :) -- freedom of speech is a right and a privilege. If ranters need to rant and downers need to ... umm ... down, well ... I can't stop 'em. I can, however, ignore them., and do, with great pleasure. Life's too short to let poopyheads get in the way. :)
  • 145Karen
    145Karen Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree! It is hard enough and everyone is different , we all make mistakes and if we can we learn from them and try and share with others. As for me I love MFP I have had mostly positive experiences except once I was trying a very contiversial way of weight loss it did not work for me but wow the sparks flew lol and I sort of felt stupid and attacted for even daring to post such a horrible thing (HGC) I say to each their own lets spread the love people! oh and mis spelled words lol I better never post again don't want to offend anyone for real lol God is Great Beer is good and people are crazy!
  • Lisahill5
    Lisahill5 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have asked many a stupid questions and my people have been amazing in helping me. They may lol at me but they r helpful. Sorry u had a bad experience that really sucks :(
  • tammyll3
    tammyll3 Posts: 44
    Options
    Agreed!
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    So very true! I hate reading posts like that, so usually avoid reading them. I've been told my posts are crap and been attacked in other non weight related posts. Most people being jerks on here wouldn't have the nerve to come out from behind their computers to say the things they say on here.
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    I posted this as a response to another message earlier, but I think it applies here ... a serious suggestion. Do you think if enough people asked to have this done it would help??

I think when a new person signs up, they ought to get a 'welcome' message with some basics ... such as:

1) Be sure to search for a topic/question to see if it has been discussed before using the search feature
    2) A list of the most unknown acronyms such as NSV = Non Scale Victory, MFP = My Fitness Pal, etc.
    3) How to post a photo: Post a photo by saving it to an online photo site, copying the url and then pasting that url in the box. Then change the "IMG" from the original upper case to "img" lower case, or it won't work.
    4) Advice: Keep in mind that when you ask a question, you are going to get people's OPINIONS ... some of which you (and others) may agree with and some you may not.

You get the idea ... :)

You have to sign up to join, so would it be difficult to have the site set up to automatically send a welcome message to the e-mail used to register ... I know that way back when I used Yahoo Groups, it did that.

It might save a LOT of duplicate questions, and thereby duplicate answers, and as a result, less than nice comments/replies?? Just a thought ...

Add in what 'bump' means :)
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I always try and be positive and motivational to all my MFP family.. After all I have the most AMAZING MFP Family.. Feel free to add me and I promise you will never hear anything from me.. We are all diferent and different things work for different people.. I say hey if thats what works for you then do it... But yea so many are negative but as long as us positive ones stick together we will "Kick *kitten*"

~Rachel~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Amen sister! I agree...If there is a topic that you are "Sick and tired" of reading..dont read it..skip over it..dont belittle the people..everyone was new at one time..so let it be...
    I agree with this! Some are new
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I agree to an extent. I mean, people should still use google before taking their questions to the boards. There's no need to ask what c25k is when google will tell you before you can finish typing it in the search bar.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP (original poster)