Ladies who workout : what do you do with your rings?

Options

Replies

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    When the hubby and I forget to take them off, this happens..

0f1bef5nqj13.png
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I take mine off. If I'm doing weights, I find they press up against the rings and pinch my fingers. I'm afraid of damaging them, BUT my main thing is that if I sweat and keep my rings on I develop a rash. That said, there are lots of girls that leave theirs on.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't have a wedding or engagement band, but I usually store my jewelry (including rings) in a zipper pouch in my gym bag.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I never take mine off when I workout but I don't dead lift yet. That said, I'm not usually one to take my rings off unless it really really hurts so I would likely start out not doing so and see what happens.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    There are thes new bands made out of rubber or something for people with tough jobs etc they come in different colors as an alternative wedding ring to wear that won't bend break or lose stones. It starts with a q I think can't remember

qaulo? qalo- whatever- IMHO they are stupid.
    Just a waste of money- and more importantly time/something else to keep track of in your day to day life.

just take your ring off and don't wear it- then put it back on.

And fugly*
    @angelexperiment They are Qalo and made of silicone. My spouse and I both have them.

As for the other comments, yeah, I wear mine a lot. Not just to work out in, while on long walks, on weekends, camping, on vacations. Probably about a third of my walking-around time. It cost less than a dinner out ($25 with an inscription, $20 without) and that combined with my "nice" rings probably still cost less than most people's wedding bands. I don't go around talking about how much I hate diamonds or think that fancy rings are a waste of money.

:s

Sorry, not trying to be insanely rude... i just think they are hideous. Not that my opinion matters.

If you want a silicone ring OP, get one!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    Every metal known to man makes me itch. I had to stop wearing jewelry years ago.

Pity. I've shrunk back down to fit into my original size 4 engagement and wedding rings and now I can't wear them. (I wouldn't wear them to the gym.)

Do i just have sausage fingers or are our sizing systems different? I could have sworn i wear like double that size in rings.

Anyways, OP i would recommend wearing it on a necklace with you at all times. I don't trust putting my rings in my purse or in a locked locker. I know that might seem a little crazy but i'd rather have something so expensive with me at all times.

Not that i have a wedding ring, but i do wear a couple rings, earrings, and necklaces of high-value (sapphire, diamond, or amethyst) and I've had stuff stolen out of my locker and i've had my purse stolen before.

How tall are you? I'm really short and have tiny hands. I'm not so sure that I have a small frame because my shoulders are broad, but my wrists and hands and feet are really tiny. I wear a much smaller than average ring size because of this.

I'm 5'4, I just checked and I wear a 6 apparently so nevermind. Still!

I am just shy of 5'4" with a 6-7 ring size. I do have around 40bs to lose, so I'm not sure how much that loss will have an impact on my ring size.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Every metal known to man makes me itch. I had to stop wearing jewelry years ago.

Pity. I've shrunk back down to fit into my original size 4 engagement and wedding rings and now I can't wear them. (I wouldn't wear them to the gym.)

Do i just have sausage fingers or are our sizing systems different? I could have sworn i wear like double that size in rings.

Anyways, OP i would recommend wearing it on a necklace with you at all times. I don't trust putting my rings in my purse or in a locked locker. I know that might seem a little crazy but i'd rather have something so expensive with me at all times.

Not that i have a wedding ring, but i do wear a couple rings, earrings, and necklaces of high-value (sapphire, diamond, or amethyst) and I've had stuff stolen out of my locker and i've had my purse stolen before.

How tall are you? I'm really short and have tiny hands. I'm not so sure that I have a small frame because my shoulders are broad, but my wrists and hands and feet are really tiny. I wear a much smaller than average ring size because of this.

I am just shy of 5'4" with a 6-7 ring size. I do have around 40bs to lose, so I'm not sure how much that loss will have an impact on my ring size.

I started out with size 5 rings and then had them made bigger after I had my daughter and was at a higher weight, though I'm not sure what size they were made into. Now that I've lost the weight my fingers are often small enough that they spin on them (and I also once dropped one in the toilet :grimace: .) But then on hot/humid days I get all sausage finger-y and they *just* fit, so I am reluctant to get them made smaller again.

As for the Qalos, they are not my style but we all have different preferences. My engagement ring was a very simple solitaire (1/3 c) on a plain gold band. I am not a bling-y person and chose two extremely simple $49 gold wedding bands, which I had permanently connected (soldered?) onto either side of the engagement ring. That's completely my style, but it would be way too plain for a lot of other women. No biggie.
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I do a bootcamp in the morning & I have always left mine hid away in my bag in my car locked up. I can't workout with them on because it pinches when lifting weights & I don't want to lose it if I sweat enough. I don't even wear mine to bed anymore because I lost it once in my bed & it took me 2 days to find it. I was devastated!!!!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I wear a platinum wedding band, no engagement ring so no stones. It never comes off. I run, box, circuit train and lift. I do get a bigger callus on that finger but I can live with that. When I lift heavy I take it off and put it in the little zipped pouch in the back of my training leggings. I do really like the silicone ones - I had never seen them until reading this thread. I may look into it. The ring I wear currently is a replacement as my original ring go too loose after loosing weight so it has no sentimental value.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options

I think 7 is average, so as you're also average height it makes sense. Don't get self-conscious about your hands because someone else has smaller ones, you're totally normal ;)

Personally, I'm a runner and I don't strength train much, so I wear my rings when I run whether outdoors or indoors. My fingers are pretty chunky and there is zero risk of anything flying off over my knuckles, and I don't do anything that could conceivably damage it and nothing with heavy barbells or anything like that, so I just leave it on and minimize the risk of me losing it or it getting stolen or whatever.

I'm too flaky to be taking my rings off all the time as I just know I'd leave them somewhere harebrained sooner or later. It's one of the many reasons we chose something that was more like half a day of my husband's salary than 2 months or whatever the prevailing nonsense is, because I can't be trusted with nice things, lol. I love my ring but if I lose it we'll just have another one made...
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I only do cardio at the gym so I leave mine on.

Though honestly if you are picking out jewelry for the rest of your life I wouldn't base my decision on the gym and cooking. Seriously. You don't want to regret your choice in 10+ years. My engagement ring is a simple solitaire princess-cut diamond and my band is plain white gold. Nothing fancy and it suits my personality. I think bling wedding bands are cute too. Right now my husband and I are talking about me getting a ring to put between the two--a mother's ring worn on that hand. My kids' birthstones are peridot and diamond so yay for two colors that will not look hideous together!

And the silicone rings-meh. I think they look just as good at my Fitbit, hehe. I have a friend who just got one and it looks like it is squeezing her finger though. Are they supposed to be so tight? Genuinely curious because although I'm not loving the look of them I'm thinking of maybe getting one for on the beach. I spend 3-4 weeks a year in the sand and waves so it might be a good purchase.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I can't wear rings while doing really anything too active. Even at my heaviest, one decent flip of my hand and my rings would go a-flying and that was when wearing a ring hurt and now my ring falls of while typing. If the ring is not on my hand it is on my watchband. Sometimes my watch is on while working out, other time it is buried in my bag. My engagement ring and wedding ring are soldered together, but that's partly the style. I also take off my ring cooking, sleeping, bathing, outdoor chores (both for comfort and fear of losing), and in general when I'm at home. My husband's band was tight and couldn't be resized due to the style. He bought a $25 dollar ring of the same style from Wal-mart that he wears. Out of safety, he doesn't wear it when he is working in the garage.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There are thes new bands made out of rubber or something for people with tough jobs etc they come in different colors as an alternative wedding ring to wear that won't bend break or lose stones. It starts with a q I think can't remember

qaulo? qalo- whatever- IMHO they are stupid.
    Just a waste of money- and more importantly time/something else to keep track of in your day to day life.

just take your ring off and don't wear it- then put it back on.

And fugly*

yeah- I mean- I can't even ascribe that to them- I just don't get it. I honestly don't. It's like twice as much work- for no reason at all.
  • fitjp88
    fitjp88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I wear mine. When I am lifting I just put on gloves.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights and wearing rings do not work at all for me, they stay at home..

Things of importance get lost when in a hurry or have too many things thinking about when a rush. Not worth it to carry it around when it can be kept safe at home.. can't replace it.. replacement will never be the same.

• b3achy
    b3achy Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I wear my college ring (gold) all the time when I exercise. There are certain things I would probably take it off for (monkey bars, serious lifting), but since I rarely do those things, I don't have to worry about it. I also do a lot of water sports (Stand Up Paddleboarding) and keep it on even in the water (and in the shower, etc). But it has an enclosed setting for the gem, not a gem with prongs so the water doesn't dull the gem.

Back when I was engaged (30 or so years ago), I had a very nice gold engagement ring (diamond solitaire). I initially took it off and tied it on my tennis shoe when I worked out (was in the Army, so pretty severe workouts), but I ended up bending the band because the gold was so malleable (was able to bend it back eventually). So, I had to stop that, and leave it back at home for workouts. Be sure to get a sturdier metal if you might be doing this, or just leave it at home.

Still kind of curious why you wouldn't cook with your rings on. I've never really heard of that. I've heard of taking an engagement ring off to wash dishes because the soap and food can get under the gem if it's a pronged ring, but not for cooking.

I do know of people that don't wear their rings (not even a wedding band) because of their jobs - electricians, communications techs (that deal with wiring), construction workers, military, etc, because of the risk of snagging the ring on something (or hitting a live wire) and potentially severing the finger or electrocuting themselves. I'm sure the severing could be a problem with some gym workouts too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I leave it at home. On the rare occasion I forget I tie it to my shoestring (knot around the ring, then bow, then double knot). I wouldn't feel right leaving it in a locker or in my car.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Athena_fit wrote: »
    Thank you all for you answers! You got me thinking it might be silly to get a ring that I will have to take of almost two times a day (cooking and gym) + the fact that I will stress about it at the gym. I like the idea to put it on chain around my neck, I will look into that. Even with a plain basic ring I will have to do that...I still have to think about it.

Whatever i decide you convinced me to never wear it while lifting hehe!

Thanks again!

I take mine off all the time. It's not a big deal- you are no less married if you aren't wearing it.
    I take mine off at 5:30 and don't put it back till the next morning.

Not a big deal.

Buy your ring- enjoy it. Take it off and keep it safe- and then put it back on.

True.
    Married almost 17 years and I went for several years not wearing a ring at all because I got fat and it didn't fit. Still very married with or without a ring.
    I wear my wedding band most of the time now. I only take it off if my finger feels irritated or swollen. I am not a weight lifter so that isn't a concern.
    We didn't spend a fortune on it. It hasn't been damaged my household chores or cooking though.
    Get what you like and take it off if you prefer.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Not a female but when I realized I waa scratching it up lifting started leaving it in the car when at the gym.
  • Athena_fit
    Athena_fit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Athena_fit wrote: »
    Thank you all for you answers! You got me thinking it might be silly to get a ring that I will have to take of almost two times a day (cooking and gym) + the fact that I will stress about it at the gym. I like the idea to put it on chain around my neck, I will look into that. Even with a plain basic ring I will have to do that...I still have to think about it.

Whatever i decide you convinced me to never wear it while lifting hehe!

Thanks again!

I take mine off all the time. It's not a big deal- you are no less married if you aren't wearing it.
    I take mine off at 5:30 and don't put it back till the next morning.

Not a big deal.

Buy your ring- enjoy it. Take it off and keep it safe- and then put it back on.

True.
    Married almost 17 years and I went for several years not wearing a ring at all because I got fat and it didn't fit. Still very married with or without a ring.
    I wear my wedding band most of the time now. I only take it off if my finger feels irritated or swollen. I am not a weight lifter so that isn't a concern.
    We didn't spend a fortune on it. It hasn't been damaged my household chores or cooking though.
    Get what you like and take it off if you prefer.

Thanks for your answer. i actually don't mind taking it off for the "symbolic" reasons, i don't feel the need to wear a silicon band or anything.

My question was more about my safety while lifting/ damage that could be done to the ring and the stress to take it off and perhaps loose it or having it stolen.

Its not crazy expensive or crazy big (.3 carat round solitaire) but its nice enough that I will stress about it at first.

I guess i'm just scared it would be in the way on a daily basis since i've never worn any jewellery...i'm glad to get feedback from people with more experience than me :)