Does weight loss make you happy?

Options

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,975 Member
    Options
    Weight loss makes me happy in the sense that I set a goal and I stuck to it and achieved it. I also feel better physically and that makes me happy. But there are things in my life that have nothing to do with weight and if those things are making me unhappy then simply losing weight is not going to make me happy overall.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Briantime wrote: »
    I gave the seemingly simple question some thought and came up with the following: Weight loss in and of itself has not made me happy, but addressing a problem in my life (my weight) and succeeding so far in doing so has made me feel accomplished. And that makes me happy :-)

I like this. It describes my feelings as well.
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    JeffreyOC wrote: »
    I'm about 20Ibs from my goal, I wouldn't say I'm happier but I'm certainly healthier and it's made me more confident.

Healthy is 1 thing, but LOOKS are another....and they matter!
  • kingleahnidas
    kingleahnidas Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would've been able to lose weight if I were unhappy. I was happy before and I'm happy now :)
  • astroamy
    astroamy Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I would say yes and no. At first I notice a spring in my step just from exercising and that makes me happy, then looking good in clothes and more double takes from men makes me happy in the moment. However, just day to day happy I am about the same as I was before. I am generally a happy person and I was a generally happy person when I was at 245 lbs. I am about 10 lbs from goal and I don't think getting to goal will suddenly change my mood.
  • FeelsLikeAwesome
    FeelsLikeAwesome Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I've been happy (and sad) at all of my weights.

Weight loss isn't a magical bullet that fixes the non-weight related bad things in your life.

It wont fix problems with your boss, coworkers, family, finances, etc. It has however increased my confidence which helps in dealing with the non-weight related problems. Being fit is great. I stay much healthier, can keep up with people half my age, and do more than I ever could.
  • SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    For me, yes, I'm very happy since losing. I've always been happy though. But I'm happier now that I've lost 75 pounds. 15 more would make me ecstatic though!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I'm 109lbs down and I feel fantastic. However, I had my head in the right place when I started. I feel 20 years younger, I feel strong, my health issues are a fraction of what they used to be.

The question is, are you unhappy? If you think losing weight will "fix" psychological issues, nope, need help for that. Will it make physical issues better? YES! Will you be able to handle stress better? Most likely. If you are miserable for self esteem reasons, weight loss will improve, worsen, or complicate those.

I'll take not obese and happy over fat and mostly happy any day. Life is complicated, and this question is far too simplistic for a quick answer.
  • drivennightrunner87
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    I'm 109lbs down and I feel fantastic. However, I had my head in the right place when I started. I feel 20 years younger, I feel strong, my health issues are a fraction of what they used to be.

The question is, are you unhappy? If you think losing weight will "fix" psychological issues, nope, need help for that. Will it make physical issues better? YES! Will you be able to handle stress better? Most likely. If you are miserable for self esteem reasons, weight loss will improve, worsen, or complicate those.

I'll take not obese and happy over fat and mostly happy any day. Life is complicated, and this question is far too simplistic for a quick answer.

Agreed. Life is unpredictable and no amount of weight loss will shield what it may throw at you...but losing weight definitely helped raise my self-esteem and lowered anxiety/depression personally... clearer skin too!

Congrats on the loss, btw. ( :
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »

So true!

• southportmom2fab5
    southportmom2fab5 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Happiness is an inside job. It is also a way of life and not a destination. Your thoughts/reactions to situations, people, circumstances will ultimately determine your state. It is always your decision.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I was happy 80 heavier and I am happy now. I believe happiness is an internal thing.

When I was obese I was uncomfortable and it sucked being so out of shape, but I worked with it and made the best of it until one day when I had enough...

When I was losing I got highs from seeing inches fall off of me and moving down clothes sizes and it gave me motivation to keep going. Now it's so great shopping in the junior's section and wearing size small and medium clothes.

But yes, losing 80 pounds in 2012-early 2013 and being in the best shape of my life, having tons of energy feeling and looking great and keeping the weight off over for over 3.5 years has been an amazing experience. I am ecstatic beyond words could describe.

I'm working hard everyday to stay here, which makes me happier. :)
  • 75poundstogo
    75poundstogo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    To me the happiness from weightloss comes from satisfaction of making good choices for my body. Happiness also comes from seeing results in the mirror from good changes
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Significant weight loss disrupts social and family dynamics. Some people cannot deal. So some of my relationships changed.

I regained mobility. I have new confidence. My energy is increased many fold.

I have new hobbies like running. I go out more.

Tackling my weight allowed me to conquer Covey's third Habit which as promised has made me more effective in all areas of my life.

Happier?

Heck, yes.

But I get a lot more pleasure from the exercise than the calorie counting.
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Significant weight loss disrupts social and family dynamics. Some people cannot deal. So some of my relationships changed.

I regained mobility. I have new confidence. My energy is increased many fold.

I have new hobbies like running. I go out more.

Tackling my weight allowed me to conquer Covey's third Habit which as promised has made me more effective in all areas of my life.

Happier?

Heck, yes.

But I get a lot more pleasure from the exercise than the calorie counting.

May I ask how your relationships changed?
  • taymam
    taymam Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't believe it is so black and white, but losing weight definitely helped me to reach a place where I was proud of myself. Exercise gives me a healthy outlet for stress and scientifically speaking does actually produce endorphins that make you happy. But that being said I haven't lost a single pound since I started exercising last December. More than anything I think it can be a process to discovering what makes you happy instead of giving into the superficial kind of happiness you get from eating junk.
  • theGarinator
    theGarinator Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Goal not nearly met but I like the direction......
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!