How to be selfish, but not mean

This sounds really weird for me to write here, but how do I be selfish about the food that I buy and not feel mean or guilty? I have pcos and have to completely change my diet. I have picked up some foods for myself that will help me lose weight and learn to manage my hunger, but my boyfriends mom lives with us and she doesn't buy food, but she eats the food we buy. I try to hide my food, but I can only hide the dry foods. I can't say anything to her because she tells me I'm being mean. So I plan on continuing to hide what I can, but I feel guilty. How do I let myself be selfish?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Do what works for you. Become important to yourself and your own well being. :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    Can you buy enough of the things for you that she can share them?
  • OhReally42
    OhReally42 Posts: 138 Member
    Can you buy enough of the things for you that she can share them?

I did try that this time I went shopping but then she just ate bigger servings herself. :/
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Setting boundaries isn't selfish. That's being a bit harsh on yourself, I think....try some of the suggestions above...
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Arizona_C wrote: »
    Hi girl,
    your mother in law lives with you, on your expense, it is generous of you to give her a roof over her head and daily meals. Don't let her take over by making you feel guilty or meal -you are generous!

She is way out of her rights eating what you have bought for you. Let her know clearly, make sure your boyfriend tells her same thing.

When I dieted, I kept my special food in my fridge, shared with my family of five. To make sure it was clear to everybody what was mine, I put it on upper shelf in a green plastic box. It worked.

I ate less, but my food was more expensive. I had like one special cookie a day. My husband had maybe five. It's normal than my only cookie is a special one, I had just one!

Don't hesitate to make clear to tell her what's the deal. Don't let her make you feel bad, don't let her get to you.
    You are already giving a lot.

It's normal you keep a bit for yourself, we all do. In a field or another.

This is what I do! I'm trying to gain weight and also have a bowel disorder which means I'm on a restricted diet. My family know that,as they can pretty much eat anything and aren't underweight or overweight,they don't touch "my" food. Don't feel guilty - you are taking care of your own health.
  • Mersie1
    Mersie1 Posts: 329 Member
    Maybe ask her what foods she would like you to buy her. You have your grocery list- she has hers?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    OhReally42 wrote: »
    This sounds really weird for me to write here, but how do I be selfish about the food that I buy and not feel mean or guilty? I have pcos and have to completely change my diet. I have picked up some foods for myself that will help me lose weight and learn to manage my hunger, but my boyfriends mom lives with us and she doesn't buy food, but she eats the food we buy. I try to hide my food, but I can only hide the dry foods. I can't say anything to her because she tells me I'm being mean. So I plan on continuing to hide what I can, but I feel guilty. How do I let myself be selfish?

So, you have a situation where someone is eating food they do not buy and eating a lot more of it than other people.
    Do you have an agreement on sharing household expenses? Is she contributing to the household in some way.
    It is not selfish or mean to say don't eat all the food I buy. It is basic sharing 101.
    In my house I equally divide some shared foods into containers with our names on it. People can eat their share. It is fair. Maybe you can try that.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Eff outta here. Tell her if she can't stop eating your food she can get the eff out. But that would be me and what I would do. What does your boyfriend say?
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    I would sit down with her and explain to her that these food belong to YOU. If she would like to eat these kinds of foods you will buy extra just for her. That does not mean eating hers and yours. Explain to her why you are doing this and how important it is for her to be on the same page with you if she is going to continue to live there.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Eff outta here. Tell her if she can't stop eating your food she can get the eff out. But that would be me and what I would do. What does your boyfriend say?

Hey, a baby!!! Congrats, @Chef_Barbell!!! (Total derail. :D Sorry, not sorry.)
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member

Hey, a baby!!! Congrats, @Chef_Barbell!!! (Total derail. :D Sorry, not sorry.)

Thanks! :) We do wut we want! :laugh:
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    Taking care of yourself isn't selfish, it is self-loving! Don't ever let anyone tell you any different. Your first job is to take care of yourself and if you don't do it, nobody else ever will. (And as RuPaul says, "If you don't love yourself, how in the hell you gonna love somebody else?").

It sounds like you are in a difficult situation, but if you can't stand up to your bf's mother (and your bf) in this situation, you will always lose. Longer term, it may come down to a choice between yourself and your boyfriend and his mother. That choice is a no-brainer. Take care of yourself.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    I am on a restricted diet as well. Even if I offer food to my family, they won't eat more than taste testing sizes (if that) because they feel like it isn't fair. Sometimes one of us will buy something that we all can share like tangerines or celery (them for chili, me for broth), but for the most part, we respect each others boundaries. You have to take care of yourself in this case. Talk with your boyfriend since it seems like talking to his mother isn't working. If it means buying an extra fridge with a lock, then go for it!