Options
1234568»

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,952 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    peter2100 wrote: »
    It's established that insulin causes satiety. Carbohydrates don't 'cause more hunger. This makes sense, since you would want an appropriate feedback to stop the organism eating.

A good amount of my information and thinking has come from Stephan Guyenet (an obesity researcher). He was really the catalyst that changed my mind on carbohydrates.

Here's a good article on insulin not causing you to be hungry.
    http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/always-hungry-its-probably-not-your.html

Blanket statements like "it's established" don't usually go over well here, especially on a topic that varies widely by the individual like satiety.

Many of the LCHF keto crew will tell you carbs aren't satiating at all and for them, it's high fat that fills them up. Others here will tell you the opposite and it's carbs they find filling.
    Personally I do best with a balance but higher protein breakfasts, for example, tide me over well.

Indeed...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    It sounds like we are going in circles with differing definitions. Also, it doesn't look like you understand my point. The point is much more simple than you seem to understand... a high carb diet in America correlates with a high rate of overweight / obesity. That's it. The reason I'm not bringing in fat or protein is because they fall outside of my point. I'm also not bringing in exercise because it is not a part of my point. I'm not bringing up education because it doesn't relate to my point. If you want to further speculate on WHY my point is accurate, that doesn't make my point invalid. If you want to suggest the reason is a high consumption of all macros and a high consumption of calories, then fine. That reason doesn't invalidate my point. I'm not going to that next step, but I don't mind if you do as long as you understand that the correlation of high carbs and overweight/obesity in America still exists. It's when you want to argue that Americans typically eat (i.e. SAD) low or moderate carb when we disagree. And it seems like that disagreement boils down to definition - quantity or percentage.

Again, this is similar to you continually asserting that a high white male population in CA (not percentage-wise, of course, but total) correlates to voting for Hillary Clinton. Okay, there is a correlation in that one state. It does not suggest any link between the two factors (and other more direct evidence controlling for other factors demonstrates that in fact there is no link).

The funny thing about the US carb argument is that you basically have the causation reversed. The US is a country with lots of obese people, so -- unquestionable -- is also a country where people on average eat a high calorie count. Countries where people eat a high calorie count are also -- shock! -- typically countries where people eat a high total number of carbs, because carbs are one component of calories. They also tend to be (under that logic) countries where people eat a high total number of fat grams and protein grams and, hmm, in the US that seems to be true.

On your first point, I've not made an assertion about how race and gender influence votes and that is not relevant to this discussion on high carbs anyway.

On the second point, I'm neither asserting nor disputing whether Americans eat high quantities of other macros as well.

She didn't say that you were discussing race/gender and voting results - she was comparing the ridiculousness of your argument to the ridiculousness of trying to correlate something like the voting results example. It is a metaphor to illustrate her point, so yes, it is relevant to this discussion.

You are saying that the SAD is high carb, and therefore trying to imply that this is the reason that obesity rates are so high.

We are saying that no, the SAD is not high carb in the context of the rest of the diet (which is what matters). It is generally pretty balanced with the other two macros. And obesity is caused by overconsumption of total calories. The number of carbs is irrelevant - the energy imbalance is the causative factor here.

If your argument held any water at all, there would be no skinny/fit vegans. There are plenty of people who happily eat HCLF diets within their TDEE and maintain a healthy weight. Just like there are people who happily eat LCHF diets within their TDEE and maintain a healthy weight. It is overall calories that matter.

No, I'm not implying that high carb is the reason that obesity rates are so high. In fact, I have clearly stated I don't know if that is the case or not. I'm simply pointing out the correlation and stopping there because, as I've already said, I don't know the WHY or if high carb causes obesity or not.

Okay, so your only argument in this thread is that the SAD is high carb.

Well, that's your opinion, but no, it is not. Someone with a TDEE of 2,200 calories eating 40% of their calories in carbs, that would be 220 g of carbs and would be balanced with the other macros. That's not high carb - that is just a balanced diet.

And I'm sorry, but I just don't understand the point of so fervently making your argument in this thread while simultaneously saying things like
    But for the otherwise healthy person eating a SAD (high carb) diet, the question is about satiety. While everyone is different, 2/3 of Americans are overweight or obese. This statistic makes me think that many Americans are still hungry after maintenance when eating SAD, thus leading to consumption of excess calories.

So you are worried that Americans' "high carb" diet is causing a satiety issue, which is causing so many to overeat? There is no magic number of carbs that is going to make a person ravenous to the point of eating themselves into obesity. If macros are balanced with an adequate amount of fat/protein intake, satiety due to the simple number of carbohydrate grams would not be an issue.

*edit because I left out the TDEE calories for my example

First, we've already discussed the average per person per day consumption of Americans and it is much higher than 220g of carbs.

I don't think you understand my argument... which is really more of an observation than an argument. The question of why is the argument. While I thought to explore the possibility that Americans over-consume because they are hungry even after eating their maintenance calories (and briefly mentioned this, as you pointed out), we can't even agree on the more basic observation about whether Americans eat low, moderate, or high carb... to discuss quantity of consumption as a whole without first agreeing about quantity of consumption of a single macro-nutrient? I decided I would rather start small first.

Americans are eating more carbs than that on average because they're eating more calories than that on average. You can eat 40% of your calories as carbs on 1200 calories (120 g carb) or on 4,000 calories (400 g carb). This does not make the 1,200 calorie person "low carb" anymore than it makes the 4,000 calorie person "high carb." It is a diet with macros balanced proportionally to calorie intake.

Either everyone in this thread is really dense and can't understand your point, or you're just doing a really bad job of communicating it. In situations like this, the latter is usually the issue.

I think it is a mixture. I'm probably not communicating my point very well, but I've tried several times and people are still reading points that I'm not making. In fact, I've been clear that the common misunderstanding (that I'm arguing high carb causes obesity) is definitely not my point.

Yep you're simply saying there's a correlation between high carb and obesity (there is not), while ignoring that fat and protein are just as high when going by your (bad) definition of what high carb is. And you're doing that not to imply that it's causative, but...

^^^It really is this simple...
  • svellela
    svellela Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I eat around 50% carbs which is a personal preference. I find if you feel out how your body feels after eating certain types that is how you truly determine what you should eat more of, I tend to have a hard time with digesting protein especially accompanied with high fat and it tends to influence me to undereat, so I tend to keep my fats lower and proteins moderate. It's all about how you feel though I will say increasing lean protein definitely makes me look and feel leaner especially in the morning!
  • peter2100
    peter2100 Posts: 101 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    It's established that insulin causes satiety. Carbohydrates don't 'cause more hunger. This makes sense, since you would want an appropriate feedback to stop the organism eating.

A good amount of my information and thinking has come from Stephan Guyenet (an obesity researcher). He was really the catalyst that changed my mind on carbohydrates.

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/always-hungry-its-probably-not-your.html

Blanket statements like "it's established" don't usually go over well here, especially on a topic that varies widely by the individual like satiety.

Many of the LCHF keto crew will tell you carbs aren't satiating at all and for them, it's high fat that fills them up. Others here will tell you the opposite and it's carbs they find filling.
    Personally I do best with a balance but higher protein breakfasts, for example, tide me over well.
    J72FIT wrote: »

Indeed...

Established by science. I make no appologies for stating science. Insulin is a satiety hormone in the brain. Even Robert Lustig, who is well known in the low carb community, of "Sugar the bitter truth" fame, admits this.

I don't discount people's individual experience. The point is simply that if someone doesn't find carbohydrates filling, it's not the insulin.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Indeed...

Established by science. I make no appologies for stating science. Insulin is a satiety hormone in the brain. Even Robert Lustig, who is well known in the low carb community, of "Sugar the bitter truth" fame, admits this.

I don't discount people's individual experience. The point is simply that if someone doesn't find carbohydrates filling, it's not the insulin.

You are doubling down with the Lustig reference. I wish you well. It's going to get ugly.
  • peter2100
    edited November 2016
    Options

Indeed...

You are doubling down with the Lustig reference. I wish you well. It's going to get ugly.

Haha. How so? Is there a history here that I'm unaware of? :)

I can handle it. *braces for impact*
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I think people are taking issue with the usual accepted definition of a low carb diet which is a diet with fewer than 100-150g of carbs per day. This is roughly the minimum carbs (glucose) required by a (non-fat adapted) body per day - the brain, RBC's and such that can't use other fuel easily, or at all. If one eats fewer than 100-150g of glucose in a day, chances are they are making some of their own glucose and/or using ketones for fuel.

That 100-150g of carbs per day can really vary as a macro percentage. Low carb can be zero to 40% or so of a person's caloric intake. It depends on how much one is eating in a day. It isn't some set macro percentage.

I would agree that most Americans eat high carb, and high everything else. Too much food. Too many calories. Too much of everything.

Usual accepted definition... by whose standards? In studies I've seen run comparing low carb to high carb diets in controlled living situations, they always run the test diets by percentages and define them that way.

Researchers working on what low carb is:
    http://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-5-9

Discussed here:
    http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/what-is-a-low-carb-diet-researchers-have-now-defined-it/6648

Another definition here:
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/low-carb-diet/art-20045831

And more:
    http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diet/low-carb-diabetes-diet.html

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/2/276.full

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/080113p12.shtml

So there is no exact number for what is low carb but it is widely accepted that low carb is below 100-150g of carbs per day, give or take a few.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Indeed...

Lustig is widely regarded referred to as LOLustig on these boards. He's an anti-sugar quack.

Try reading this for a good review of the film you referenced.
    http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Indeed...

Because lustig is not well respected in the scientific community because of his crazy, not backed by science statements
  • peter2100
    Options

Indeed...

Because lustig is not well respected in the scientific community because of his crazy, not backed by science statements

Indeed...

Lustig is widely regarded referred to as LOLustig on these boards. He's an anti-sugar quack.

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

I see. I thought the LCHF community thought well of him. Perhaps not then. I tried to reference someone in their camp.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Indeed...

Indeed...

I see. I thought the LCHF community thought well of him. Perhaps not then. I tried to reference someone in their camp.

They do look up to him because he panders to them and tells them what they want to hear.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
  • J72FIT
    Options

Indeed...

Indeed...

They do look up to him because he panders to them and tells them what they want to hear.

For the win!