Very short duration VLCDs - still a "no no"?

Options

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Ha! I looked up and saw myself in this thread from long ago. Funny.

I've since learned about another form of a short term VLCD that does guard against muscle loss and is safe in some circumstances. It's not for the faint of heart.

Kenda, I'll second Gallowmere's recommendation for the EFA's. I couldn't tolerate fish oil (it gave me horrible diarrhea), but agree it's a superior source.

I saw that too!! You are doing fantastic!!

Funny, that's the me I still see in the mirror. At least I no longer see the original me.

Thanks, love.
    99.9% of the time I'm going to advocate for the slow and steady way of doing things.

As would I, and I am sure most of the people who have used it. Even Lyle said he wishes more people would control their diets so a crasher was never even remotely needed. He then follows that up with "I also wants a unicorn, to be an astronaut, and to be six feet tall. When ideology and reality meet, the results are never pretty."

It's the demonizing of the entire idea that tends to rustle my jimmies. All of the "no never, don't do that" people help foster and environment where, instead of someone maybe learning a safe way to do something they clearly plan on doing anyway, they are run off into a dark corner with their apples, celery, catabolism, and eventual severe health problems.

But most people on this site who plan on doing vlcd aren't interested in learning a safe way of doing it. They aren't interested in nutrition or health or doing it for a short time.

This is, in my opinion, the issue. Not the actual premise of the diets themself which can be done safely.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Ha! I looked up and saw myself in this thread from long ago. Funny.

I've since learned about another form of a short term VLCD that does guard against muscle loss and is safe in some circumstances. It's not for the faint of heart.

Kenda, I'll second Gallowmere's recommendation for the EFA's. I couldn't tolerate fish oil (it gave me horrible diarrhea), but agree it's a superior source.

I saw that too!! You are doing fantastic!!

Funny, that's the me I still see in the mirror. At least I no longer see the original me.

Thanks, love.
    99.9% of the time I'm going to advocate for the slow and steady way of doing things.

As would I, and I am sure most of the people who have used it. Even Lyle said he wishes more people would control their diets so a crasher was never even remotely needed. He then follows that up with "I also wants a unicorn, to be an astronaut, and to be six feet tall. When ideology and reality meet, the results are never pretty."

It's the demonizing of the entire idea that tends to rustle my jimmies. All of the "no never, don't do that" people help foster and environment where, instead of someone maybe learning a safe way to do something they clearly plan on doing anyway, they are run off into a dark corner with their apples, celery, catabolism, and eventual severe health problems.

But most people on this site who plan on doing vlcd aren't interested in learning a safe way of doing it. They aren't interested in nutrition or health or doing it for a short time.

That may be true, but baby with the bathwater and all of that. We can't even pretend to know people's intentions before opening dialogue has occured.

I do agree but I'm more talking about the posts of people who are already low weight but are calling themselves fat and want to lose 20 lbs in order to get to BMI 15 so they don't look fat anymore. It's very obvious that they aren't interested in health/nutrition
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    They have their place but they are for a very small population. Definitely not for me. They took a mental toll and I rebounded hard.

If you have emotional eating issue or you aren't experienced with systematically controlling your body weight with calorie counting and reverse dieting then I wouldn't recommend it.
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

@singingflutelady-- And that's a psychological issue that needs to be addressed.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I should add I mean the pro ana type. I can tell who they are from their first post. I would never question someone like you doing it.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    laurens47 wrote: »

@singingflutelady-- And that's a psychological issue that needs to be addressed.

Yes, exactly. Those people don't need ANY diet. They need a psychologist and a priest qualified to perform an exorcism.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Yes, exactly. Those people don't need ANY diet. They need a psychologist and a priest qualified to perform an exorcism.

Yes exactly. I do agree. I don't have issues with people doing vlcd for the right reasons but there seem to be more and more and pro ana type posters showing up here lately
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    What does "short duration" mean in the context of this thread?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

It really depends on level of "fatness" of the dieter. For some it might be 10 days, for the very obese it could be up to 12 weeks.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited November 2016
    Options

Short answer: it depends on the starting bodyfat of the person taking it on. Assuming the RFL methods, this can be anywhere from as short as 11-12 days for males at or below 15%, 2-6 weeks for males between 15 and 26%, and 6-12 weeks for males over that.

For women it would be 24% and under, 25-34%, and 35+% respectively.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know this is an old thread with new discussion, but...

Has anyone seen the show Naked and Afraid? My understanding is that they have medical personnel on hand to monitor and respond to issues. Not the same as eating very little yourself without such help.

But I've done versions of IF with days where MFP would complain I'm eating too little, but alternating days would be plenty high calories. In fact, last time I did that, I was eating in a huge surplus overall because the eating days were without calorie restriction. So if I eat 500 calories on a fasting day and 10K-12K calories on the next day, that just doesn't work for me.

Why would you think that eating 10-12k is a good plan for any situation?!

That wasn't the plan... the plan was to eat very little on alternate days, and then not have any restriction on the other days - just eat to satisfaction. I have an incredible appetite, so the 10K-12K was eating to fullness as best as possible within my schedule.

This was done during a plateau. A calorie deficit keeps me very hungry because I have an incredible appetite. Calorie maintenance keeps me hungry. A small surplus keeps me hungry. At that point, I had successfully lost weight for months (very slowly) with a small deficit; but that had stopped seeing results about 2 months prior. I could mentally withstand the hunger for awhile when losing, but when the results stopped, I just couldn't take it. Instead of quitting altogether (which is what I was about to do), I compromised with myself by staying hungry every 2nd day and eating as I wished on the other days. I could at least put up with that. I did that for 6 weeks. I didn't see any sustained gains (because I was in a true plateau), just larger day-to-day fluctuations (at the fastest change, I gained 9 lbs. in just a few hours). After 6 weeks, I returned to a small daily deficit. After another 2 months (so almost 6 months total plateau), I finally got the "whoosh" of several lbs. of sustained loss in just a few days. The 6 weeks of experimentation obviously decreased the eventual "whoosh," but at least it kept me from giving up altogether.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Has anyone seen the show Naked and Afraid? My understanding is that they have medical personnel on hand to monitor and respond to issues. Not the same as eating very little yourself without such help.

But I've done versions of IF with days where MFP would complain I'm eating too little, but alternating days would be plenty high calories. In fact, last time I did that, I was eating in a huge surplus overall because the eating days were without calorie restriction. So if I eat 500 calories on a fasting day and 10K-12K calories on the next day, that just doesn't work for me.

That wasn't the plan... the plan was to eat very little on alternate days, and then not have any restriction on the other days - just eat to satisfaction. I have an incredible appetite, so the 10K-12K was eating to fullness as best as possible within my schedule.

This was done during a plateau. A calorie deficit keeps me very hungry because I have an incredible appetite. Calorie maintenance keeps me hungry. A small surplus keeps me hungry. At that point, I had successfully lost weight for months (very slowly) with a small deficit; but that had stopped seeing results about 2 months prior. I could mentally withstand the hunger for awhile when losing, but when the results stopped, I just couldn't take it. Instead of quitting altogether (which is what I was about to do), I compromised with myself by staying hungry every 2nd day and eating as I wished on the other days. I could at least put up with that. I did that for 6 weeks. I didn't see any sustained gains (because I was in a true plateau), just larger day-to-day fluctuations (at the fastest change, I gained 9 lbs. in just a few hours). After 6 weeks, I returned to a small daily deficit. After another 2 months (so almost 6 months total plateau), I finally got the "whoosh" of several lbs. of sustained loss in just a few days. The 6 weeks of experimentation obviously decreased the eventual "whoosh," but at least it kept me from giving up altogether.

Interesting as I am doing something similar but with RFL calories on 4 days, 2 days in a slight deficit and a re-feed (which normally ends up in the region of 10k calories). Only 4 weeks in but seeing good results, significant fat loss, no negatives from leptin/glycogen being depleted because of the re-feeds and I get to eat to my hearts content on 1 day a week.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds putting away 10-15k calories easy. I have to hold back as I have no fear I could do more.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Interesting as I am doing something similar but with RFL calories on 4 days, 2 days in a slight deficit and a re-feed (which normally ends up in the region of 10k calories). Only 4 weeks in but seeing good results, significant fat loss, no negatives from leptin/glycogen being depleted because of the re-feeds and I get to eat to my hearts content on 1 day a week.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds putting away 10-15k calories easy. I have to hold back as I have no fear I could do more.

Out of interest, do you use a refeed "window" or just eat throughout the day as normal? I can't eat the way I used to and have a refeed tomorrow but am a little anxious about packing it all in in 5 hours!
  • Intentional_Me
    Intentional_Me Posts: 336 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I always find it odd when people comment that there is surely no way someone actually consumed 3, 500 calories over their maintenance in 1- 2 days.

Wellllll, they probably could have. It's not that difficult
  • singingflutelady
    Options

I always find it odd when people comment that there is surely no way someone actually consumed 3, 500 calories over their maintenance in 1- 2 days.

I used to be anorexic binge/purge and ed binges can often be epic in the 10k minimum range so it's definitely possible
  • VintageFeline
    Options

For sure. Especially if you have a good run up, like a few days eating closer to maintenance to get used to the extra food. That's when I can really go to town, particularly if you start in the morning and then graze all day. Or if I just eat it in apple crumble and custard (now I'm fantasizing about crumble and custard, oh man!).
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

I used to do that in a single refeed. One medium pizza and an order of breadsticks and there ya go.
  • laurens47
    laurens47 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

I used to do that in a single refeed. One medium pizza and an order of breadsticks and there ya go.

Yes to the Yes on the pizza and the breadsticks. It's my go to on re-feeds! However, I go into a carb coma. :p
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

Yes to the Yes on the pizza and the breadsticks. It's my go to on re-feeds! However, I go into a carb coma. :p

That's probably for the best. You can't smell what your body is doing with that stuff. My girlfriend told me she wants to bottle it and sell it as an aerosol paint peeler.