press ups

Options
Just wondering if you're not very good at them is it better to do a press up on your knees and be able to go lower or legs straight and do them feebly?

Replies

• alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Press ups? You mean something like handstand push-ups?
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Press ups = pushups. I would do an incline press up:

qyhozj8.jpg

The higher your hand position, the easier it is. When you can reach your goal number of reps with proper depth, use a lower hand position (or raise your feet up). :+1:
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I meant press ups like these, perhaps I got the wrong name for them2tm2h45kkkvi.jpg
    cudz7anbwnb9.jpg
  • picnic2day
    Options
    Oops that's a bit big. The second ones are hard and just wondered if it's cheating doing the first one on your knees or is it better than trying The second one and work harder
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    picnic2day wrote: »
    Oops that's a bit big. The second ones are hard and just wondered if it's cheating doing the first one on your knees or is it better than trying The second one and work harder

Do now what you can do best. If that's knees, do them until you develop enough strength so that you can do straight planks on your toes.

However, keep in mind that in order to do straight plank pushups (which should be the objective), you also need to develop sufficient chest, back and core strength - - not just the arms and shoulders.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I always do them on my knees.

Now that I'm reading that back it sounds a bit dirty.

How you doin? >:)
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Start on your knees or on incline and work towards a full one

That's the point of training

The progression
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Never do Push Ups on your knees, do them on an incline (hands on a bench, chair, etc.) Push Ups, if done correctly (getting stomach & glutes tight=neutral spine position), are as good or better than a plank for core strength, but not so much if you're on your knees, as it compromises your ability to get tight and therefore they're not as effective.
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    Never do Push Ups on your knees, do them on an incline (hands on a bench, chair, etc.) Push Ups, if done correctly (getting stomach & glutes tight=neutral spine position), are as good or better than a plank for core strength, but not so much if you're on your knees, as it compromises your ability to get tight and therefore they're not as effective.

And a basic plank is overrated for core strength
  • picnic2day
    Options
    OK thanks. Think that answers my wondering. Start on knees/incline until strong enough to do the full proper one, which is better that doing the full on weakly ie: using arms rather than core ?
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    picnic2day wrote: »
    OK thanks. Think that answers my wondering. Start on knees/incline until strong enough to do the full proper one, which is better that doing the full on weakly ie: using arms rather than core ?

http://www.crossfitoakland.com/want-pushups-abandon-the-knee-pushupsand-how-to-position-your-elbows/

This is all you need to know. Start watching the video @ 3:30.

I'm a believer in if you're going to do an exercise, do it correctly and in a way that is most beneficial.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    The progression goes like this:

Incline push up --> 3/4 push up (knees) --> push up --> Decline push up --> weighted push ups

edit: and i'd like more information on why others are saying knee push ups aren't acceptable. In my experience they are incredibly helpful.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    edit: and i'd like more information on why others are saying knee push ups aren't acceptable. In my experience they are incredibly helpful.
    Just wondering why you would say never? I realize they're not as effective, but they're not inherently bad, I don't think. For me, I'm doing them for now because I literally do not have the strength yet in my arms to do a decent regular push up with proper form and on my knees is the only way that I can do it right now. Also, I don't work out at a gym, and finding something to do the incline press-ups on that's around me is difficult.

I have explained in both of my responses to the OP why I am against on the knee push ups.

Like I said, if you're going to do an exercise then why would you not do it in a way that's most beneficial? An Incline Push Up, in my opinion and my experiences with clients, is more effective than on the knee push ups for for the reason/s I listed. And yes, I would never have clients do them on their knees, but to each their own and I'm not here to argue these things, but to hopefully be of some help to people on this forum who ask for it.

As far as not having a gym, you can do Incline Push Ups on a bench, chair, or even stairs. Stairs are great because you can control the incline (more incline=easier). I was training a 65 year old this way and she can now do 15 strict push ups with good form. Again, it's all about getting the most out of the exercise and regressing or progressing the exercise to your ability.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Just wondering why you would say never? I realize they're not as effective, but they're not inherently bad, I don't think. For me, I'm doing them for now because I literally do not have the strength yet in my arms to do a decent regular push up with proper form and on my knees is the only way that I can do it right now. Also, I don't work out at a gym, and finding something to do the incline press-ups on that's around me is difficult.

I have explained in both of my responses to the OP why I am against on the knee push ups.

Like I said, if you're going to do an exercise then why would you not do it in a way that's most beneficial? An Incline Push Up, in my opinion and my experiences with clients, is more effective than on the knee push ups for for the reason/s I listed. And yes, I would never have clients do them on their knees, but to each their own and I'm not here to argue these things, but to hopefully be of some help to people on this forum who ask for it.

As far as not having a gym, you can do Incline Push Ups on a bench, chair, or even stairs. Stairs are great because you can control the incline (more incline=easier). I was training a 65 year old this way and she can now do 15 strict push ups with good form. Again, it's all about getting the most out of the exercise and regressing or progressing the exercise to your ability.

I guess I was just wondering why you think that doing a knee push up compromises core stability, glute activation, or otherwise.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm in the incline push-up over knee push-up camp
  • Sued0nim
    Options

I guess I was just wondering why you think that doing a knee push up compromises core stability, glute activation, or otherwise.

I think they're a training route to a specific objective, don't need to compromise anything. Like all weight bearing exercise form matters.

I learned to push up from knees...and progressed quite quickly (far quicker than to pull up)
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    edited November 2016
    Options

http://www.crossfitoakland.com/want-pushups-abandon-the-knee-pushupsand-how-to-position-your-elbows/

Already posted this but start watching @ 3:30. Basically it's impossible to get in a good neutral spine position when you're doing push ups on your knees. Kelly Starrett is a big advocate of this. Get a hold of his book Becoming a Supple Leopard, it is EXCELLENT and goes into further details about this.
  • alipsie19
    alipsie19 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    The progression goes like this:

Incline push up --> 3/4 push up (knees) --> push up --> Decline push up --> weighted push ups

I didn't read the entire chain, but I have to agree. Moving the body in a form or fashion it is not used to counts. All progress begins somewhere.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Haha I literally don't even have stairs or a single chair in my condo that I could use for this (just a set of bar stools and a rolly computer chair).

The stools are perfect, or use a bed frame or kitchen counter. When that gets too easy, prop your feet up onto something (books, a step ladder, suitcase, etc). The shorter the height between your hands & feet, the harder it gets. That's another advantage of incline pushups over girl pushups knee pushups - you can incrementally increase the resistance as you get stronger, until you can do them on the floor. :+1: