press ups

Options
2»

Replies

• canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    park benches are also good. you can start out on the backs, and then move on down to the seat level when you get more confident.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    You can also start upright against a wall, moving your feet further away for more difficulty, work to an incline and eventually regular.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    picnic2day wrote: »
    Just wondering if you're not very good at them is it better to do a press up on your knees and be able to go lower or legs straight and do them feebly?

to this question, just my experience . . . it might depend what your weak point is. i like the incline option with the straight legs because my main challenge is mobility in one shoulder and probably weakness in that rear cuff. so i'm using progressive incline to get myself more used to getting lower without losing tightness, and then exerting 'clean' force from that position.

so me personally, if i were to go from my knees i'd still be doing crappy pushups because i don't think my shoulder is ready to handle itself at that depth yet.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I think with knee push ups it's about ensuring your weight is pushed forward over your hands
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    I started doing them on my knees then realised they were damaging my knees!
    I don't yet have sufficient strength to do them on an incline (I'm a 61 year old female just starting out ) so I've been doing push ups against the wall - is this pretty much a waste of time?
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Ps one of my problems,like one of the posters above,is mobility issues following a fractured shoulder 2 years ago which has left me with weakness in that area.
  • picnic2day
    picnic2day Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    :/ no wonder I was confused, seems everyone has a different view on this. Thanks for all the replies.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    picnic2day wrote: »
    :/ no wonder I was confused, seems everyone has a different view on this. Thanks for all the replies.

While people may have different views, the reality is pretty clear that the inclined progression is far better than dropping to your knees.