Running a 5K for the first time on Sunday. Any advice or tips would be appreciated

Options
I did a couch to 5K program recently to get ready for it. As I enter the final few days I would greatly appreciate any and all tips and advice on how I can optimize my performance. Thank you.

Replies

• TimothyPhoenix
    TimothyPhoenix Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Have fun!!! Get caught up in the moment!!!
    That might be even harder than finishing the race well. I am nervous as hell which I know wont be good for me on race day. But to top it off I am nervous that I will be extremely nervous on Sunday, lol. Obviously taking an ativan is not an option because that will cause some fatigue. I guess I need to find a way to turn that nervous energy into a positive.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    There will be people all around you with nervous energy too! Seriously, just have fun!
  • TimothyPhoenix
    Options
    There will be people all around you with nervous energy too! Seriously, just have fun!
    My daughter belongs to this group called Girls on the run. They have a huge race every year which goes through Hershey Park in Hershey PA. Each girl has to have a running buddy. I am my daughters running buddy and I so I feel a lot of extra pressure to do this and do it well. I have run a practice 5K once so I know I can do it. What makes me nervous is is that I over trained last week and my knees were in pretty bad shape. I haven't run since Saturday but my knees are just finally starting to feel better yesterday/today. I'm guessing at this point I should go into the race with rest but I was thinking about doing some interval running tomorrow.
  • jason3105
    jason3105 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the day and trust in your training. You'll do great.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    You know you can run a 5k, right? Why not give your knees some rest? There will be people walking, no shame in walking if you need to. Road races like these are for fun!
  • TimothyPhoenix
    Options
    jason3105 wrote: »
    Enjoy the day and trust in your training. You'll do great.

Thanks
  • TimothyPhoenix
    Options
    You know you can run a 5k, right? Why not give your knees some rest? There will be people walking, no shame in walking if you need to. Road races like these are for fun!
    Yes, I did it a week and a half ago. I am not an experienced runner at all. I am not sure if being off from running for a week and resting my knees will be better or worse than had I gotten back to some training the last couple of days. One thing I definitely plan to do is take it real easy on Saturday, just not sure what would benefit me more though, training a little bit tomorrow or just resting until the race. As far as walking goes, I personally would consider that a failure.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I would greatly appreciate any and all tips and advice

1. Don't eat, drink or wear anything that you haven't been using while training.
    2. Line up in the middle of the pack. The front is for the faster runners.
    3. Don't go out too fast. It is easy to get caught up in the event and lose control of your pace. Item 2. should help with this.
    4. Have fun!
  • TimothyPhoenix
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    I would greatly appreciate any and all tips and advice

1. Don't eat, drink or wear anything that you haven't been using while training.
    2. Line up in the middle of the pack. The front is for the faster runners.
    3. Don't go out too fast. It is easy to get caught up in the event and lose control of your pace. Item 2. should help with this.
    4. Have fun!

Thank you. How long before the race should I eat and I am guessing it should be a pretty light meal?
  • CraigontheCoast
    CraigontheCoast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have a blast and don't overthink it!
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    How long before the race should I eat and I am guessing it should be a pretty light meal?

Morning race? If so, just eat your regular breakfast then go run.
  • TimothyPhoenix
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »
    How long before the race should I eat and I am guessing it should be a pretty light meal?

Morning race? If so, just eat your regular breakfast then go run.

9:30 am start time. I was just going to have a light breakfast at around 7 am and drink coffee as I normally would in the morning.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I ran my first complete 5k last August at age 61. I had completed C25K and had run more than 30 minutes, but had not completed the full 5k distance. On race day I was nervous as heck, but I got out there and ran every step in a several minutes faster than I expected. It took a LOT of self-talk to keep me going, so read through all your favorite motivational quotes and everything positive than people have told you. I have no doubt you can do it!
  • TimothyPhoenix
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    I ran my first complete 5k last August at age 61. I had completed C25K and had run more than 30 minutes, but had not completed the full 5k distance. On race day I was nervous as heck, but I got out there and ran every step in a several minutes faster than I expected. It took a LOT of self-talk to keep me going, so read through all your favorite motivational quotes and everything positive than people have told you. I have no doubt you can do it!
    Thank you, that is some really good advice.
  • oofdieblunk
    oofdieblunk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Don't tear your name off of the bottom of your bib until after you've crossed the finish line. I tore mine off beforehand and didn't realize that that is how they keep track of everyone'should time and finish
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I get nervous before races too, but after the first half a mile I'm fine.

Don't do anything you don't usually do before race day.

What do you normally eat before you run?
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    5ks are fun. The crowd will pump you up. Just enjoy it.
  • TimothyPhoenix
    Options
    I get nervous before races too, but after the first half a mile I'm fine.

Don't do anything you don't usually do before race day.

What do you normally eat before you run?

I'm not a runner, never have been. Even when I was younger and an athlete in good shape I didn't run much. I haven't jogged in years until I started the couch to 5K program two months ago. When I have trained I have usually done so soon after having some coffee and something light to eat like a Banana or Cottage cheese.
  • TimothyPhoenix
    Options
    5ks are fun. The crowd will pump you up. Just enjoy it.
    Thanks. Nice dog.