cee134
cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
Talking about space.

Hubble Ultra Deep Field, which contains approximately 10,000 galaxies

m5f6p1uyyb1b.jpg

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Hubble was an amazing advancement for science and exploration of our place in the world. My next big things is the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), which should be out in orbit and producing in the next year and a half. I love the advantages of space scopes over land based ELTs, but the costs are as astronomical as the place in the universe.

So barring wave-length factors, do you think the billions spent on these are worth it?
  • cee134
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    Hubble was an amazing advancement for science and exploration of our place in the world. My next big things is the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), which should be out in orbit and producing in the next year and a half. I love the advantages of space scopes over land based ELTs, but the costs are as astronomical as the place in the universe.

So barring wave-length factors, do you think the billions spent on these are worth it?

Yes.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    astronaut-in-space-animation-5.gif

This is a man OR a woman in a spacesuit floating in space.

It's me. I wanted to be an astronaut, you know. Then that whole Challenger thing happened and I chickened out. I still regret that decision.
  • cee134
    The Sky this Week
    Saturday, November 19

A lone bright star now hangs low in the south during early evening. First-magnitude Fomalhaut — often called “the Solitary One” — belongs to the constellation Piscis Austrinus the Southern Fish. From mid-northern latitudes, it climbs 20° above the horizon at its best. How solitary is Fomalhaut? The nearest 1st-magnitude star to it, Achernar at the southern end of Eridanus the River, lies some 40° away.
  • cee134
    edited November 2016
    There is an awesome free program called Stellarium that gives a lot of info on star gazing. Plus you can put in your location and it shows you what you can see from where you are at any time.

Keep Looking Up
    ag5w1dottb00.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4zmsyNhTYY
  • cee134
    I'm not really smart enough to comment here but what happened to the thread that this idea started on?

I'm not either. But I like to BELIEVE I am.

Read Cosmos (or watch it) that's the best first step, if you're interested.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    I love that pic @Karb_Kween

I do too. Makes me wish even more I had pursued my dream of becoming an astronaut. I'm a scaredy cat loser.
  • cee134
    edited November 2016
    I'm not really smart enough to comment here but what happened to the thread that this idea started on?

I'm not either. But I like to BELIEVE I am.

I'm not smart either, it's more of a hobby type interest so my knowledge only goes as far as what I've been interested in lol.
    And yeah that thread was deleted right after I posted. Apparently he didn't really want to talk about anything...

Agreed, intelligence isn't a factor here, and nobody is dumb. I just like looking at the stars and various other related things. When we got pictures of Pluto, that was one of my happiest Space Days.