High fat, low carb. Anyone do this?

Options
I'm thinking of changing the way I eat to be more high fat & lower carbs. I've been reading a lot about the need to eat fat to burn fat & think I might give it a try. I've always been discouraged from eating fat (weight watchers mindset I guess) but I'm finding eating low fat & higher carb I'm basically hungry all the time & constantly crave sugar!!
Does anyone have any healthy high fat meal & snack ideas? The only thing I can't eat is nuts ☹️️
Many thanks xx

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It's not so much to burn fat (when in a calorie deficit, your body burns more calories than you take in anyway), but to calm down appetite for those that get "too" hungry on high/normal carb. It can take some time to get used to the idea that fat isn't "fattening" or "carciogenic", but sufficient fat certainly helps healing body and mind after years of trying to eat low fat.

You don't have to go extreme in any direction. Just allowing yourself more fat and cutting down on sweets can be enough for you, and much easier to stick to in real life; this means hat you won't need high fat meal and snack ideas, just eat what you normally would, but reduce the amount of sweets and be a bit more generous with meat, fat, fatty fish, cheese, drink full fat milk, etc. This is a way of eating that I find genuinely enjoyable.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Thank you @kommodevaran That makes sense.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Look up the low carber daily group and apply to join. It's the one with over 30k members.
  • Morgaen73
    Morgaen73 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    I do LCHF but not too the point of being ketogenic. I do F-50% P-30% and C-20% but I lawaus struggle with keeping my carbs low and I never get to 5-% on fat
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

LCHF is usually based on meats, seafood, full fat dairy, eggs, veggies and a few berries. We tend to skip high sugar foods (candy, soda) and foods made from grains (like baked goods, noodles, rice, corn and oats).High GI fruits are skipped or limited, and so is starchy vegetables (beans, root veggies), although that depends on how low carb you go.
  • fitness4thought1982
    Options
    I am LCHF its my 14th day, on a strict keto plan, I can say that upping the fats is very satisfying and totally working for me, my brain is clear, I am a little bored of the food I have been eating already.... as I have been taking it very simply, and there are plenty of recipes for me to check out, I have no appetite now and no blood sugar lows which means I can go for very long periods without being hungry, I love it! I really do feel like I am eating to live, rather than living to eat.

I agree..been doing it for just over a week and never feel hungry between meals
  • Motivation72
    Motivation72 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    4 stone loss since May 22nd ((57lbs))
    Feel better now than I ever have. Won't be going back to the way I used to live.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you feel satiated by fat, why not just increase fats and decrease carbs. You don't need to follow a prescribed diet to address satiety. You can if you want to, but it's not necessary. Personally, I don't adhere to a diet, but I do focus on calories, protein and fiber. I also incorporate recipes from various diets. For me, structure or restriction is not good. For others, it might be.

It is true that eating more fat will cause your to burn more fat, but it's not body fat. Fat oxidation increases with increased consumption of fat, and carb oxidation decreases. If calories are maintain, the net difference between the two will not change.
  • Gourdelicious
    Gourdelicious Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For those on keto or LCHF diets try ruled.me and Ditchthecarbs.com for excellent recipes
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I do this. It helps with food cravings. Of course I choose healthy fats like walnuts and avocado. I'm very happy with weight loss in fact I just upped my calories because I was losing more than 2 pounds per week and didn't want to mess with my metabolism that much.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wiggymommy wrote: »
    I do this. It helps with food cravings. Of course I choose healthy fats like walnuts and avocado. I'm very happy with weight loss in fact I just upped my calories because I was losing more than 2 pounds per week and didn't want to mess with my metabolism that much.

How many weeks did you lose more than 2 lbs a week? Also, how long have you been following the program?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

LCHF is usually based on meats, seafood, full fat dairy, eggs, veggies and a few berries. We tend to skip high sugar foods (candy, soda) and foods made from grains (like baked goods, noodles, rice, corn and oats).High GI fruits are skipped or limited, and so is starchy vegetables (beans, root veggies), although that depends on how low carb you go.

Yep! Keto eater here - I find myself INCREDIBLY satiated with 70% fat / 20% protein / 5% carb. Have tons more energy, a clearer mind.... and there are a TON of recipes and knowledgeable folks out there willing to help.

A word of caution if you do decide to go the keto route (not saying you have to - psulemon has great advice above), do your research on the diet and also understand that it's not something you can simply hop on and off at a whim. I have found that it took a lot of planning and research in the beginning to understand carb counts in food and to listen to my body when I was transitioning to ketosis.
  • SoxyKitten
    SoxyKitten Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just checked back into this thread. Thanks for all the input guys. It's been a few weeks now. I've decreased my carbs gradually so I'm now eating around 60g (I was up around 200g before) & ive increased my healthy fats. So far, so good! Feeling much more satiated, still enjoying my sweet potato & some berries & have lost 6lbs so far. :)