Grammar Police

Options
Thriceshy
Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
The number one rule when attacking others for their grammar? Make sure yours is impeccable. Otherwise? Keep it to yourself, because when your punctuation is lazy (or near-non-existent) and you seem confused by the whole "your" versus "you're" thing, you come across looking ten kinds of stupid when you insult others for their writing.

Also, turning to grammar policing in the middle of a disagreement does not mean you "win." In fact, it tends to communicate a lack of ammunition in any dispute. If you're going to argue, argue the point. Arguing the grammar just lets us all know that arguing the point is beyond you.

Just something that's been on my mind this morning.

Kris

Replies

• emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    i hate when people correct!
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    The number one rule when attacking others for their grammar? Make sure yours is impeccable. Otherwise? Keep it to yourself, because when your punctuation is lazy (or near-non-existent) and you seem confused by the whole "your" versus "you're" thing, you come across looking ten kinds of stupid when you insult others for their writing.

Also, turning to grammar policing in the middle of a disagreement does not mean you "win." In fact, it tends to communicate a lack of ammunition in any dispute. If you're going to argue, argue the point. Arguing the grammar just lets us all know that arguing the point is beyond you.

Just something that's been on my mind this morning.

Kris

+1!! thank you, im not the only one thinking it.. I crack up when people correct others and their grammar is absolutely horrible!!
  • countrymom1
    countrymom1 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Haha! Well-said. I must confess, though, I have a shirt that reads, "I before e, except after c? Weird."
  • Dencrossgirl
    Dencrossgirl Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I find bad grammar annoying I admit, but I really hate it when someone is expressing a problem they are having and someone feels the need to correct their grammar. Time and place ladies.
  • LaPistolaSexola
    LaPistolaSexola Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
    you must be in a different time zone, as it's way to early for this shiz here.
  • DKing33
    DKing33 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well said, we are here to support each other in our healthy lifestyle changes not to be in English class!
  • jenwall1973
    Options
    Love it! Well said!!!!
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I agree!
  • SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    I can't spell, have bad grammer and I am not super bright... But I know how to love peopel and that is enough for me. :flowerforyou:
  • lemonychick
    lemonychick Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I can't spell, have bad grammer and I am not super bright... But I know how to love peopel and that is enough for me. :flowerforyou:

^ Love this post!

Completely agree with OP too!
  • nikkidziggy9
    Options
    I agree with you Soldierdad..
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options

Grammar Nazi says "You spelled "people" wrong."

Yes, this is funny to me.:laugh:
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Hrrrrmmmm....I'm a bit of a grammar snob. Although, most of the time, I keep it to myself. But I do cringe every time I see loose instead of lose.

Just sayin.....:smile:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Why can't y'all leave me allown? Huk'd on fo'nics werk'd fer me. :laugh:

Seriously though... I totally agree! There are much better things for us to do than criticize. Additionally, this is an international community. When cultural differences exist, it is far more important to understand the content, than criticize the delivery.

Have a Great Day!
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
    you must be in a different time zone, as it's way to early for this shiz here.

i'm with this..
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    YES! YES! YES! YES! :bigsmile:

I was so angry the other day. I saw a post where this lady poured out her story. She was struggling and needed encouragement. The "Grammar Police" attacked her over punctuation! By the end of the thread she was planning on walking away from MFP. :mad:

A few days ago I was responding to a post about homeschooling and BAM- Grammar Police! Same girl starts in again. :explode:

What do they think they are accomplishing? We are here to get healthy not be "schooled" about our use of commas!!!!!!!

Thanks for giving me a place to vent this.
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    The little "G" in my signature is a Grammar Nazi symbol I thought was amusing. Unfortunately I find myself caring less and less.
  • jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Options
    Your wright, I no that can be annoying :wink:
  • Avalonis
    Options
    YES! YES! YES! YES! :bigsmile:

I was so angry the other day. I saw a post where this lady poured out her story. She was struggling and needed encouragement. The "Grammar Police" attacked her over punctuation! By the end of the thread she was planning on walking away from MFP. :mad:

A few days ago I was responding to a post about homeschooling and BAM- Grammar Police! Same girl starts in again. :explode:

What do they think they are accomplishing? We are here to get healthy not be "schooled" about our use of commas!!!!!!!

Thanks for giving me a place to vent this.

I do sometimes get people about grammar, I'll admit. Nothing more irritating than someone showing how dumb they are by typing like a tween girl on a cell phone. Usually its when they use words that don't mean what they think they mean, or shorten EVERYTHING they type.

However, I try to also respond and provide some good input at the same time, rather than just criticize.
  • Avalonis
    Options
    Your wright, I no that can be annoying :wink:

*eye twitch*