What's up with kids these days?

Options
badgerface1k
badgerface1k Posts: 125 Member

Replies

• CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    My friend is a teacher. In one of the more memorable workshops they attended, a speaker that had worked in the classrooms for decades mentioned this: The question parents ask has shifted from "What can my kids do to bring up their grade" to "What can you do to improve my kid's grade"
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    CooCooPuff wrote: »
    My friend is a teacher. In one of the more memorable workshops they attended, a speaker that had worked in the classrooms for decades mentioned this: The question parents ask has shifted from "What can my kids do to bring up their grade" to "What can you do to improve my kid's grade"

That's more an issue with the adults not children. So the real question is what is up with the child bearing age adults and their love of helicoptering.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    One word for me: Parenting
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and what's this thing I hear about Snapchat anyway?
  • butterflylady86
    butterflylady86 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It's the Parents.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Kids are just a reflection of their environment. The biggest environment is the one at home.
    As a daily yard duty at my DD's school, I deal with kids who have good manner, bad manners, polite, rude, hardworking, entitled and respectful, disrespectful. Most kids are pretty good, but the handful that are bad, make sure they let you know it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Kids are just a reflection of their environment. The biggest environment is the one at home.
    As a daily yard duty at my DD's school, I deal with kids who have good manner, bad manners, polite, rude, hardworking, entitled and respectful, disrespectful. Most kids are pretty good, but the handful that are bad, make sure they let you know it.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I agree. I was an elementary teacher and can attest to this.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a kid compared to all y'all. Come at me bros
  • Taylor076097
    Taylor076097 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Lol come at me bros.
  • dc8066
    dc8066 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I kinda feel sorry for the youngings. It's harder and less fun growing up and becoming adults these days - can't roam freely much, very little privacy, the textbooks are 10 times bigger and less useful, and not too many decent paying jobs for their parents. I live in the U.S., not North Korea, in case if anyone was wondering.
  • Karb_Kween
    Options
    I wonder what the textbooks say these days. I'm pretty sure history ended with FDR for me
  • Karb_Kween
    Options
    I think ever since is too much controversy as faras hhistory goes
  • singingflutelady
    edited November 2016
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »
    I kinda feel sorry for the youngings. It's harder and less fun growing up and becoming adults these days - can't roam freely much, very little privacy, the textbooks are 10 times bigger and less useful, and not too many decent paying jobs for their parents. I live in the U.S., not North Korea, in case if anyone was wondering.

Though iirc the crime statistics are the same or lower than when I was a kid so there isn't a reason for (most) kids to roam freely. I also find there are more job opportunities now than when my parents were young adults especially for women. When my mom graduated from high school the majority of females in her class became either a stay at home mom, nurse, teacher or secretary. I'm not young but I'm not ancient (I'm 40)

Eta I'm not American ;)
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    dc6088 wrote: »

Though iirc the crime statistics are the same or lower than when I was a kid so there isn't a reason for (most) kids to roam freely. I also find there are more job opportunities now than when my parents were young adults especially for women. When my mom graduated from high school the majority of females in her class became either a stay at home mom, nurse, teacher or secretary. I'm not young but I'm not ancient (I'm 40)

Eta I'm not American ;)

I'm not Canadian either but every other day we have a neighbourhood boy ride over on his scooter and knock on our door and ask if my son can come out to play. We walk to school, my son comes home for lunch. There are always herds of kids in the playground at the school, our older neighbour boys are always out on their scooters with friends.

Kids are encouraged to remain kids in my neighbourhood...of course I also usually leave a door unlocked, there are lots of stay at home moms and all the neighbours know each others' business so I guess I just live in a throw back to 1950s neighbourhood.
  • IslaTiempo
    IslaTiempo Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    *kitten* if I know, but that's what adults used to say about us when we were growing up right?
  • TreasureDiver1
    TreasureDiver1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's the parents, though society has taken over and the parents can't discipline anymore. Everything is considered abuse.
    @43501
    Thank you. That was fantastic. That is exactly my thought as well. I was actually gonna quote the who's my generation but you did way better.

Ya see - People believe anything that's on the internet. To prove @43501 theories incorrect: You said "In conclusion, don't give in to the pattern and break the cycle. Remember all of the complaints and untruths your elders said about you and your peers when you were young and why you thought they were uncharitable."

You see A43501 - I grew up and realized that they were all correct, I and most people I knew were lazy, know it all punks. Around 25 years old, I took my Mom & Dad to lunch and apologized for the hell I put them through.

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    43501 wrote: »
    Spoiler alert: Joyless old people will always be blithely bitter about (and secretly just jealous of) younger generations, and the secret to not becoming a cane-shaking husk is to remember that every single generation in human history has always complained about "the youth" and probably always will.

Peter the Hermit, 11th Century
    “The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no respect for their parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone know everything and what passes for wisdom in us foolishness in them. As for the girls, they are foolish and immodest and unwomanly in speech, behavior, and dress.”

Seneca, 1st Century AD
    “Our young men have grown slothful. There is not a single honorable occupation for which they will toil night and day. They sing and dance and grow effeminate and curl their hair and learn womanish tricks of speech; they are as languid as women and deck themselves out with unbecoming ornaments. Without strength, without energy, they add nothing during life to the gifts with which they were born — then they complain of their lot.”

Plato, 5th century BC
    “Our youth have an insatiable desire for wealth; they have bad manners and atrocious customs regarding dressing and their hair and what garments or shoes they wear.”

Hesiod, 8th Century BC
    “I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.”

Assyrian Clay Tablet, 2800 BC
    “Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching.”

In conclusion, don't give in to the pattern and break the cycle. Remember all of the complaints and untruths your elders said about you and your peers when you were young and why you thought they were uncharitable. Every generation is shaped by different things and has different priorities, values and beliefs, and you're buried in your ignorance if you think your way of life and seeing things is the only right way. I try to remind myself of this as I'm getting older and older.

Respectfully, you forgot:

Walt Kowalski (C. Eastwood), 2008 AD [/b]

"Get Off My Lawn!"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    43501 wrote: »
    Spoiler alert: Joyless old people will always be blithely bitter about (and secretly just jealous of) younger generations, and the secret to not becoming a cane-shaking husk is to remember that every single generation in human history has always complained about "the youth" and probably always will.

Peter the Hermit, 11th Century
    “The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have no respect for their parents or old age. They are impatient of all restraint. They talk as if they alone know everything and what passes for wisdom in us foolishness in them. As for the girls, they are foolish and immodest and unwomanly in speech, behavior, and dress.”

Seneca, 1st Century AD
    “Our young men have grown slothful. There is not a single honorable occupation for which they will toil night and day. They sing and dance and grow effeminate and curl their hair and learn womanish tricks of speech; they are as languid as women and deck themselves out with unbecoming ornaments. Without strength, without energy, they add nothing during life to the gifts with which they were born — then they complain of their lot.”

Plato, 5th century BC
    “Our youth have an insatiable desire for wealth; they have bad manners and atrocious customs regarding dressing and their hair and what garments or shoes they wear.”

Hesiod, 8th Century BC
    “I see no hope for the future of our people if they are dependent on frivolous youth of today, for certainly all youth are reckless beyond words. When I was young, we were taught to be discreet and respectful of elders, but the present youth are exceedingly disrespectful and impatient of restraint.”

Assyrian Clay Tablet, 2800 BC
    “Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching.”

In conclusion, don't give in to the pattern and break the cycle. Remember all of the complaints and untruths your elders said about you and your peers when you were young and why you thought they were uncharitable. Every generation is shaped by different things and has different priorities, values and beliefs, and you're buried in your ignorance if you think your way of life and seeing things is the only right way. I try to remind myself of this as I'm getting older and older.
    The main thing my parents complained about our youth was our hair and clothing. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and look back and could see why. But they never complained about mannerisms. One can still have UPDATED values and beliefs and STILL BE CORDIAL. There a lots of kids these days that aren't. And again, I get it from daily experience, not just from what I've heard.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png