1,000 Calories/Day

Options

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »
    NancyYale wrote: »

Great, though that you are increasing your calories. It's a start that is for sure!

Thanks, I feel like increasing my calories too much (even if it's a healthy amount) just won't be good for me. I guess I need to baby step this, because even 1,000 is A LOT for me. Maybe I'll be able to gradually work up to 1,200 and higher for healthy maintenance. It's hard work for me.

For sure - this will most likely be a very difficult thing for you. Eating Disorders really mess with your thoughts, etc., and yes, your body will feel the physical change to the energy you give it. It will adjust and you will most likely feel better too!

Keep the fight girl! You can do this. hugs
  • 2196977c
    2196977c Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Your BMR (minimum amount of energy required daily) required for functioning and keeping good health is 1416 kcals (based and your age, weight and height.) This means if you were to eat above this and meet the recommended physical activity requirements (30 mins of moderate exercise [e.g. brisk walk] on five days a week) then you would maintain a healthy weight. However if you eat at this 1416 kcals AND get the recommended exercise or more, you will loose weight. You should never eat under this though as it's not healthy. You wont be getting the basic calories and nutrients your body needs. Just aim for 1400 calories a day and get as much exercise if you can. You can deficit as much calories as you like through exercise as long as you reach your BMR. Hope this helps and good luck!
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    That's not too much, it's too little.

You'll be really sorry for abusing your metabolism at this age. I have a feeling restricting calories in my teens was damaging to my metabolism and partly to blame for me gaining significant weight when I got older.

I know you feel fat right now but believe me one day you will look back at pictures of yourself right now and think how thin you were and long to get back to this weight.

Do yourself a favor and eat at maintenance calories, enjoy life, be active, and love your body as it is! You are young and not even overweight.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to a counselor...this seems like a dangerous slippery slope to me. All the best
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, 133 pounds, and 5'3. Short and stout. My goal is to eat about 1,000 calories a day, and I can eat 1,200 if I burn the extra 200 off. Coming from a background of disordered eating habits, this is the highest amount of calories I've ever eaten while trying to lose weight, so I'm not sure how well it will work or how quickly I will lose weight. Part of me even thinks this is W A Y too much for my body to be consuming for weight loss. I guess I really need to be reassured that this amount isn't too much. If it really is too much though then someone please tell me.
    So have you seen a therapist about this? Because it still brinks on the habit of ED.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    OP are you still in treatment for disordered eating? I know it can be scary to eat more, but what you're describing is still too low calories and talking about eating more only if you earn it through exercise sounds a little harsh as well.

For what it's worth, I'm 5'2 and lost my weight eating between 1600-1900 cals/day. You need more and should eat more than 1000 cals. How much were you eating prior to this, when you weren't actively trying to lose?

I'm actually not in any sort of treatment, as I was never officially diagnosed with anything due to lack of access to doctors and therapists, so it's just something I'm trying to do on my own. If I wasn't paying attention or anything, my caloric intake averaged about 800, but when I tried losing weight, I'd eat around 500 calories a day, and I'd fast one or two days a week. With the help of friends I realized I had a problem, and now here I am.

Edit: I'd also like to add that more recently, I suffer from binge eating, consuming up to 3,000 calories a day. I guess I have an 'all or nothing' sort of behavior.
    Your binge eating is a result of eating 500 calories a day.
    If you're not willing to adhere to how actual safe weight loss really works, you should be seeing a therapist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, 133 pounds, and 5'3. Short and stout. My goal is to eat about 1,000 calories a day, and I can eat 1,200 if I burn the extra 200 off. Coming from a background of disordered eating habits, this is the highest amount of calories I've ever eaten while trying to lose weight, so I'm not sure how well it will work or how quickly I will lose weight. Part of me even thinks this is W A Y too much for my body to be consuming for weight loss. I guess I really need to be reassured that this amount isn't too much. If it really is too much though then someone please tell me.

You're already in a healthy weight range, but you do have room to lose weight if you really desire it. Your daily maintenance calories are over 1600, and that assuming you do nothing but sit around doing nothing but watch TV all day. You're talking about exercising, so you actually have all the way up to between 1800, and 2000. You're already eating at least 1600 calories a day, or you wouldn't weigh what you do. Stop trying to justify eating under a healthy calorie level, and you can start focusing on fat loss instead of weight loss.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who said to see a dr or therapist.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    Options

It sounds fine to me, as long as YOU'RE comfortable with it. I'm 5'6 and eat around the same amount of calories as you. After experimenting with different calorie amounts and different foods, I've noticed a low calorie (mostly plant-based) lifestyle works best for me because with all the nutrients, I no longer feel deprived even on 1,000-1,200 (unlike when I ate all sorts of foods on 1,400+ and STILL ended up binging). Find out what works for you. Experiment a little.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    You really do need to eat more or see a therapist- I would also try to focus on consuming healthy nutritious foods and taking vitamins. When you restrict calories you also restrict nutrients which your body needs for proper organ function, bone health, your immune system, brain development (your brain is still growing & developing into your early to mid 20s- you don't want to hinder that do you??), etc.

Please seek the help of a therapist and a nutritionist. Or at least try to make health (and not being thin) your priority.

FYI if you consume the proper amount of calories daily you will not feel the urge to have hugh calorie binges.
  • KrazyKrissyy
    KrazyKrissyy Posts: 322 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

It sounds fine to me, as long as YOU'RE comfortable with it. I'm 5'6 and eat around the same amount of calories as you. After experimenting with different calorie amounts and different foods, I've noticed a low calorie (mostly plant-based) lifestyle works best for me because with all the nutrients, I no longer feel deprived even on 1,000-1,200 (unlike when I ate all sorts of foods on 1,400+ and STILL ended up binging). Find out what works for you. Experiment a little.

There are macros: protein, fat and carbs.

Then there are micros: vitamins, minerals, fiber.

Do not confuse the two. Just because some people find high volume, high fiber (very often low nutrition) are filling does not mean they are providing adequate nutrition.

Macros have calories. A full plate of broccoli may be filling, provides vitamin C and fiber.....but that doesn't support existing lean muscle mass. OP said so herself. She doesn't want to be skinny-fat. 1,000 calories (high volume, high fiber) is a recipe for skinny-fat.

Cravings and binging often occurs when the body is lacking a certain vitamin. Example: chocolate cravings are a sign of magnesium deficiency (mine went away when I increased magnesium rich foods). My years of binging and crazy cravings came to a complete stop when I switched to a whole, mainly plant-based diet with exception of eggs. My cravings for sugar are also gone. Additionally, I recently started including protein powders which are great in green smoothies, and Ind I rarely think of food now. My recent bloodwork results are better than they've ever been (doctor was impressed). So stop making assumptions please.

This discussion has been closed.