Oatmeal

Options
Just wondering do you eat a lot of oatmeal on your weight loss journey?? If so do you use old fashioned or quick oats and what do you put in it to make it taste better?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I eat some oats but not a lot. Probably 2 times a week. I use old fashioned. I mix my oats with protein powder and milk and either berries or peanut butter. Sometimes I add dark chocolate chips or pumpkin seeds. I either let them soak in the fridge overnight or I eat them right away. I'm not a big fan of cooked oats unless we're talking baked oats but that doesn't fit my nutrition goals right now.
  • kathrynjean_
    kathrynjean_ Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I eat oats for breakfast almost every weekday morning because I find them to be really filling and they stick with me for a long time. This is different for everyone though.

I use Quaker quick oats (~40 g) and stir in chocolate protein powder (~30 g) a bit of sweetener, and strawberries (~180-200 g). Sometimes I add a bit of powdered peanut butter too.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm in maintenance and eat oatmeal almost every day (eating it now as I type this). My go to combo is 2 pkts instant flavored oats, made with water, and then 1/2 cup milk added to the top after it's cooked. I also occasionally add a few walnuts to give it some crunch :) Love oatmeal and think it's part of the reason why my cholesterol numbers are good (total cholesterol is 143, crazy lol).
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I use both, just depends what I fancy. I cook it (porridge) in the micro with semi-skimmed milk, honey and dried fruit mostly. Sometimes I'll use maple syrup because delicious, or banana instead of dried fruit. It's my go to breakfast and with the coffee and sugar in my milk my breakfast usually comes in under 400 calories.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal occasionally. I don't use either old fashioned or quick oats, I use steel cut oatmeal. I find the flavor and texture of steel cut is superior. My favorite brand is Flahavan's Irish Steel Cut, which says "Quick to Cook" on the label. Stir it into water or milk, put in the microwave for three minutes, stir again, cook for another two minutes and you're done. You need to use a large enough bowl so it doesn't boil over.

I like to chop up some raisins or dried apricots, and add them to cook in the oatmeal; when done, I toss in some chopped nuts for texture and some cinnamon. I sweeten it with stevia or Mrs. Butterworth's sugar-free maple syrup.
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Quick oats, a spoonful of peanut butter and a handful of chocolate chips. Or Dark chocolate chips and dried cranberries. I like to add bananas and walnuts or chia seeds. There's so many choices out there.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Always have a big bowl for breakfast, I just have it with semi skimmed milk and some honey, sometimes I add blueberries too. It's a great food for dieting as it really gives you that full feeling.
  • angelahammon
    angelahammon Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat the Quaker ready oats with dried fruits and use semi skimmed milk and cook it in the microwave, it keeps me full till lunch
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Quaker old fashioned oats, cooked in water with stick cinnamon, cloves and diced apple
    after first boiling, simmer with milk
    Take stick cinnamon and cloves before serving
    Topping with cinnamon powder and fresh fruit (raw pomegranate seeds this week)
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    I've always done steel cut oats in the microwave at my desk at work. I recently discovered myoatmeal.com and I think this is going to be my go-to from now on! I skeptically tried it - I got a pretty decent coupon in my email...and created an oatmeal that is not only delicious, but has a decent amount of protein in it that keeps me full until lunch time. Previously, I'd need a protein shake or snack after I finished my oatmeal to keep me full...I'd take a look at them! You can get pre-made flavor combos or come up with your own. I made one that tastes just like birthday cake.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I go on kicks with oatmeal. I eat gluten free old fashioned oats and usually eat them with protein powder and either berries or pumpkin stirred in. I make them in the microwave. Sometimes I like it with banana, but mostly I prefer to eat my bananas by themselves.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I make a large batch of oats on the weekend and then freeze them for during the week when I don't have time. I use a mix of steel cut and old fashioned. I sub out some of the water for milk and stir them a lot while they are cooking and they come out really creamy.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned oats in the microwave with water. I will eat plain or add sugar free maple flavored syrup, sometimes a small pat of butter and sugar. Some people will put a raw mixed egg in it and then microwave it.
  • ksenya03
    ksenya03 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I eat oats some of the time. I enjoy oatmeal, it is easy to make and filling. I prefer steel cut oats but they take a while to cook so I use them about half the time and quick-cook oats the other half.
  • kschwab0203
    kschwab0203 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal a couple of days a week for breakfast. I find that it is quite filling. I'd probably eat it more often, but it tends to give me heartburn.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Tons! I like quick oats - Quaker lower sugar or weight control varieties. I always add dry milk powder or protein powder. Sometimes cinnamon or apple bits or chocolate chips.
  • DresdenSinn
    DresdenSinn Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I put a raw uncooked serving of old fashioned oats right in my protein shake 2/3 times a day.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I greatly prefer steel cut oats.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Only under protest or in cookies.