Marital bliss: What makes a good marriage?

Options

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I am not married but if I ever do then I would want loyalty,great sex, healthy communication, respect and harmony.

you're on a good path to being prepared!!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    So my advice is; if you want your marriage to be top priority in your life, you need to make it that. Above the kids, the jobs, the families or anything else that threatens to make you lose your focus. Best of luck to you.

thanks
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    DM01234 wrote: »
    The willingness, desire and commitment to making it work.

Been with the same person 30 years - 23 of them married.

congrats & thanks!!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    newbie3122 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hmm. What makes a good marriage? I'd say the following (probably incomplete) list is a good start:
    - communication
    - mutual respect
    - honesty
    - kindness
    - common goals and values

Are you kidding me??! :s

@newbie3122 What do you mean?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Cbestinme wrote: »
    Congratulations on the weight loss :)

Hmm. What makes a good marriage? I'd say the following (probably incomplete) list is a good start:
    - communication
    - mutual respect
    - honesty
    - kindness

Really nice tips thanks, great basis for friendship!

It is a great basis for friendship. My husband is my best friend so I guess that makes sense :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Married happily 17 years next month. We've been through a lot together.
    Liking the person for more than appearance, some common interests, caring for and supporting each other, caring for yourself, listening, communicating your desires, thoughts and feelings (no one is a mind reader), similar beliefs and values, shared sense of humor, not hating your partner's friends/family, having a good work/life balance, is kind to others, says thank you/please, persistance.

• Cbestinme
    Options
    Congratulations on the weight loss :)

- communication
    - mutual respect
    - honesty
    - kindness

Really nice tips thanks, great basis for friendship!

It is a great basis for friendship. My husband is my best friend so I guess that makes sense :)

Congrats yall have done great!
    I do like the best friend concept, I feel that's a solid basis for a long term partnership like marriage :)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Liking the person for more than appearance, some common interests, caring for and supporting each other, caring for yourself, listening, communicating your desires, thoughts and feelings (no one is a mind reader), similar beliefs and values, shared sense of humor, not hating your partner's friends/family, having a good work/life balance, is kind to others, says thank you/please, persistance.

Congrats thanks for tips, agreed kindness is tops.

That elusive work life balance, lol, but that would be another thread.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Find someone you like. Someone who compliments you. A friend. For me, after 18 years, marriage has always been an 80/20 deal. I always feel like she is doing more and I always do my best to keep up. In all honesty it's been 100% both ways at times. But i always approach it like I'm behind. Marriage is about partnership and trust. Trust, to say the things that need to be said and hear them when spoken to. Trust that your other always has your best on their mind going in even when it doesn't turn out that way coming out. Marriage is more, more stories of the day, more smiles and laughs, more tears more fears. Marriage is about that initial attraction, then watching your wife get more beautiful every day. It is every morning waking up and loving your spouse consciously. Making that choice or reminding yourself, especially on the hard days.it is faith. a belief that no matter what they love you. Some days you can't see it but you have to believe it.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Any happily married or partnered mfp folks, what makes it good or what makes it work?

As I'm losing weight, I'm losing baggage that came with weight gain, & gaining some confidence. My body changes are smaller bra cup & hips. Stomach fat is stubborn! Men I meet who would be interested in me don't seem to notice my weight (gain/loss).

Any advice to prepare for a good marriage?
    :)

What makes my relationship with my fiance so good is that we are 100% honest with one another - no matter the subject. Whether we're talking about how we want to raise our future children, what we want to do on the weekends, how we feel about social issues, we're always honest. For us though, I feel like the thing that matters the most in terms of honesty is when it comes to our sexual relationship. Our sex life has only improved since we've both fully disclosed what we want from each other and what our sexual needs are - when our sex life is good, everything is good.

Fantastic!

Though I think that the physical closeness you feel now may be overtaken by other responsibilities once there are kids in the picture, once you grow older and there are health issues and such. In my view it's one part, and not the most important, lol!

The great thing is it sounds like, if either one of yall become public figures there should be no scandals (texts or such)!! ;)
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Be honest, but not too honest....
  • Cbestinme
    edited November 2016
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    Find someone you like. Someone who compliments you. A friend. For me, after 18 years, marriage has always been an 80/20 deal. I always feel like she is doing more and I always do my best to keep up. In all honesty it's been 100% both ways at times. But i always approach it like I'm behind. Marriage is about partnership and trust. Trust, to say the things that need to be said and hear them when spoken to. Trust that your other always has your best on their mind going in even when it doesn't turn out that way coming out. Marriage is more, more stories of the day, more smiles and laughs, more tears more fears. Marriage is about that initial attraction, then watching your wife get more beautiful every day. It is every morning waking up and loving your spouse consciously. Making that choice or reminding yourself, especially on the hard days.it is faith. a belief that no matter what they love you. Some days you can't see it but you have to believe it.

I love this!

Concept of playing catch up in a good way!!

Trust and belief in the best of each other, that's awesome!

Congrats and thanks!!

Edited to add: choosing to love consciously, that is awesome! ....sounds like something an ex would say, lol. he was wise! Next will be even better!!
  • Cbestinme
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Any happily married or partnered mfp folks, what makes it good or what makes it work?

As I'm losing weight, I'm losing baggage that came with weight gain, & gaining some confidence. My body changes are smaller bra cup & hips. Stomach fat is stubborn! Men I meet who would be interested in me don't seem to notice my weight (gain/loss).

Any advice to prepare for a good marriage?
    :)

What makes my relationship with my fiance so good is that we are 100% honest with one another - no matter the subject. Whether we're talking about how we want to raise our future children, what we want to do on the weekends, how we feel about social issues, we're always honest. For us though, I feel like the thing that matters the most in terms of honesty is when it comes to our sexual relationship. Our sex life has only improved since we've both fully disclosed what we want from each other and what our sexual needs are - when our sex life is good, everything is good.

Fantastic!

Though I think that the physical closeness you feel now may be overtaken by other responsibilities once there are kids in the picture, once you grow older and there are health issues and such. In my view it's one part, and not the most important, lol!

The great thing is it sounds like, if either one of yall become public figures there should be no scandals (texts or such)!! ;)

We've been together for 9 years, so while I know that having kids will change our relationship, I do think that we have a good foundation to stand on.

And I know, right? With that whole Ashley Madison and now Adult Friend Finder scandal I said to him, "at least if our email was ever leaked from a site like that we both would've already known about it."

Lol lol lol
    Totally!!

Yes there'd be no frustrated wife or husband on the prowl, makes lots of sense! !

Edited to add: actually hadn't heard of those paricular website scandals. ...was thinking more of public figures who made headlines (usually a male politician)... ....maybe there's too much prudeness.... the idea of a mistress doesn't need to be a headline but it ends up that way... maybe more female public figures should emerge so that there are scandals of those famous females with younger men maybe? Then maybe it would be less of a scandal. Lol!!
  • FitInMyHead
    FitInMyHead Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Communication is key...

but really for each couple what makes a good marriage is different. My husband and I have a wonderful relationship - one KEY thing we do is we still have fun together, we laught A LOT, we go to Disney and just truly enjoy the company of one another. Even just in the kitchen cooking together, we always manage to laugh, be silly and smile a LOT -

my husband is my best friend. He knows everything about me good and bad- and he accepts me, we never ask each other to change. If we do change, its because we evolve together.

It took me 38 years to find him - but boy am I glad I waited - good and bad, up or down - I will love this man.

Also remember that love is a choice- you wake up each day choosing your spouse, the day that stops happening is the day things will not be good.

• Cbestinme
    Options
    Communication is key...

but really for each couple what makes a good marriage is different. My husband and I have a wonderful relationship - one KEY thing we do is we still have fun together, we laught A LOT, we go to Disney and just truly enjoy the company of one another. Even just in the kitchen cooking together, we always manage to laugh, be silly and smile a LOT -

my husband is my best friend. He knows everything about me good and bad- and he accepts me, we never ask each other to change. If we do change, its because we evolve together.

It took me 38 years to find him - but boy am I glad I waited - good and bad, up or down - I will love this man.

Also remember that love is a choice- you wake up each day choosing your spouse, the day that stops happening is the day things will not be good.

I love this!! And it's even more inspiring that it took you almost four decades to find each other. That's a special union that you have, glad it brings you so much joy and laughter. Agreed communication is critically important.

Thanks for sharing!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Some people prioritize work first over family and relationships and then one day they are married to someone they don't really know, have little relationship with their kids, few non-work friends, no hobbies... just work. I've seen it happen with older primarily male relatives who while married a long time didn't really have close loving relationships. It is sad.
  • cfritch2171
    cfritch2171 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    As said many times before, communication is absolutely key. Many of the small issues or arguments that have happened in my marriage came about because we didn't communicate the way we should have.

Honestly though, the most important thing for me is knowing that my husband is my absolute best friend. Those romantic feelings are so important, but so is that comfort that comes from being around your best friend. That bond is going to get you through everything. That bond is what makes my husband my soul mate. I think in any marriage you can love someone as much as you possibly can, but not having that best friend, wanting to tell them about everything as soon as it happens, running around like kids in the front yard type of thing can tear you apart.

That bond is what lets me know that we really can get through anything, and knowing that he would fight just as I would to be together.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Be prepared for change, the person you meet and marry will evolve and not stay the same...sometimes the evolution has to do with jobs, career paths, influences of friends etc but also finances & health play a huge factor.

So i'd say that most important is to be flexible and after that, don't expect every year to encounter perfection.
    I'm hoping that at the "core" you and your future mate are really very much alike.
  • Cbestinme
    Options

Some people prioritize work first over family and relationships and then one day they are married to someone they don't really know, have little relationship with their kids, few non-work friends, no hobbies... just work. I've seen it happen with older primarily male relatives who while married a long time didn't really have close loving relationships. It is sad.

Well it's never too late to make amends. Where they are is where they are. When they realize they want more they'll get more. It is perhaps sad for you, but maybe they are ok with their choices? Perhaps or maybe someday you could be a shining light for them that love trumps all :)
  • RockinTerri
    RockinTerri Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Good communication, enjoying each other's company, supporting each other, sharing in responsibilities (household, children, etc), being open about finances.