Marital bliss: What makes a good marriage?

Options

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Good communication, enjoying each other's company, supporting each other, sharing in responsibilities (household, children, etc), being open about finances.

Great tips thanks, agreed, shared responsibilities & open communication about finances etc
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    As said many times before, communication is absolutely key. Many of the small issues or arguments that have happened in my marriage came about because we didn't communicate the way we should have.

Honestly though, the most important thing for me is knowing that my husband is my absolute best friend. Those romantic feelings are so important, but so is that comfort that comes from being around your best friend. That bond is going to get you through everything. That bond is what makes my husband my soul mate. I think in any marriage you can love someone as much as you possibly can, but not having that best friend, wanting to tell them about everything as soon as it happens, running around like kids in the front yard type of thing can tear you apart.

That bond is what lets me know that we really can get through anything, and knowing that he would fight just as I would to be together.

Love the best friend!!

Comfort and strong bond.

• Cbestinme
    Options
    LINIA wrote: »
    Be prepared for change, the person you meet and marry will evolve and not stay the same...sometimes the evolution has to do with jobs, career paths, influences of friends etc but also finances & health play a huge factor.

So i'd say that most important is to be flexible and after that, don't expect every year to encounter perfection.
    I'm hoping that at the "core" you and your future mate are really very much alike.

Thanks,I may need more time to reflect as I'm not sure I'd change too much, definitely not due to influences of others. I definitely agree health can be a huge game changer, as I'm finding out. Yes at the core we'd have to be compatible mates.

• MoHousdon
    MoHousdon Posts: 8,722 Member
    Options
    Someone you enjoy spending time with. Just doing nothing. I've been married for over 16 years and my husband and I genuinely just enjoy each others company. Whether it's lifting at the gym or just hanging out watching Netflix. We like being around each other.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    Find someone you like. Someone who compliments you. A friend. For me, after 18 years, marriage has always been an 80/20 deal. I always feel like she is doing more and I always do my best to keep up. In all honesty it's been 100% both ways at times. But i always approach it like I'm behind. Marriage is about partnership and trust. Trust, to say the things that need to be said and hear them when spoken to. Trust that your other always has your best on their mind going in even when it doesn't turn out that way coming out. Marriage is more, more stories of the day, more smiles and laughs, more tears more fears. Marriage is about that initial attraction, then watching your wife get more beautiful every day. It is every morning waking up and loving your spouse consciously. Making that choice or reminding yourself, especially on the hard days.it is faith. a belief that no matter what they love you. Some days you can't see it but you have to believe it.

I really like this and think it sums up a lot of my thoughts on marriage.

My husband and I have been together since we were 13/14 (me/him.) That's 27 years together, 18 married. I trust that he is going to make decisions with my best in mind and he trusts that I am doing the same. I visualize it like an arch made of bricks. Each side is pushing toward the other and holding up the middle. If you take one brick out, the whole thing falls apart. That 100% center pushing force is the intensity with which I trust my husband with everything and believe he feels the same for me.

We both comment often on how we feel like we are slacking a bit while the other is doing more so the 80/20 bit above was spot on.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Congratulations on the weight loss :)

Hmm. What makes a good marriage? I'd say the following (probably incomplete) list is a good start:
    - communication
    - mutual respect
    - honesty
    - kindness
    - common goals and values

These things, and good sex :)

The best advice I've heard is that love is something you do, not just something you feel. Treat those you love with care and respect, and taking time to take care of yourself so you can care for others and not get burned out and irritable.

On communication - being able to listen without thinking, just listen and hear the other is important, and something I struggle with and work on.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    MoHousdon wrote: »
    Someone you enjoy spending time with. Just doing nothing. I've been married for over 16 years and my husband and I genuinely just enjoy each others company. Whether it's lifting at the gym or just hanging out watching Netflix. We like being around each other.

Great tips thanks, how it feels to be around each other, congrats!
  • Cbestinme
    edited November 2016
    Options
    pneschich wrote: »
    Find someone you like. Someone who compliments you. A friend. For me, after 18 years, marriage has always been an 80/20 deal. I always feel like she is doing more and I always do my best to keep up. In all honesty it's been 100% both ways at times. But i always approach it like I'm behind. Marriage is about partnership and trust. Trust, to say the things that need to be said and hear them when spoken to. Trust that your other always has your best on their mind going in even when it doesn't turn out that way coming out. Marriage is more, more stories of the day, more smiles and laughs, more tears more fears. Marriage is about that initial attraction, then watching your wife get more beautiful every day. It is every morning waking up and loving your spouse consciously. Making that choice or reminding yourself, especially on the hard days.it is faith. a belief that no matter what they love you. Some days you can't see it but you have to believe it.

I really like this and think it sums up a lot of my thoughts on marriage.

My husband and I have been together since we were 13/14 (me/him.) That's 27 years together, 18 married. I trust that he is going to make decisions with my best in mind and he trusts that I am doing the same. I visualize it like an arch made of bricks. Each side is pushing toward the other and holding up the middle. If you take one brick out, the whole thing falls apart. That 100% center pushing force is the intensity with which I trust my husband with everything and believe he feels the same for me.

We both comment often on how we feel like we are slacking a bit while the other is doing more so the 80/20 bit above was spot on.

That's amazing! &glad to hear of another couple playing catch up with each other, it's really sweet.

Your marriage sounds like a real life example of the notebook kind of love, congrats!!

Edited for typos!
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »

Hmm. What makes a good marriage? I'd say the following (probably incomplete) list is a good start:
    - communication
    - mutual respect
    - honesty
    - kindness

These things, and good sex :)

The best advice I've heard is that love is something you do, not just something you feel. Treat those you love with care and respect, and taking time to take care of yourself so you can care for others and not get burned out and irritable.

On communication - being able to listen without thinking, just listen and hear the other is important, and something I struggle with and work on.

Thanks!

Great point, I too really struggle on not thinking of my own response. Will have to work on it!!
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    Communication, honesty, and the ability to laugh at yourself/each other!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options

- communication
    - mutual respect
    - honesty
    - kindness

This got me through 28 yrs of marriage and I pray many more.
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Married happily 17 years next month.

.... not hating your partner's friends/family,....

had missed seeing this & I do think it's really important. Agreed on not disliking the in laws if liking them is not at all possible :)
  • Cbestinme
    Options
    I visualize it like an arch made of bricks. Each side is pushing toward the other and holding up the middle. If you take one brick out, the whole thing falls apart. That 100% center pushing force is the intensity with which I trust my husband with everything and believe he feels the same for me.

just seeing re visualization of bricks & intensity, the imagery is powerful, that's a very strong bond, congrats!!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Cbestinme wrote: »
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Married happily 17 years next month.

.... not hating your partner's friends/family,....

had missed seeing this & I do think it's really important. Agreed on not disliking the in laws if liking them is not at all possible :)

Not possible here as mine are racist as hell.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'm me and he's him and we love that about each other. He puts up with my ish and I put up with his lol.
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Guessing that 'a nice wangdoodle' is not a valid answer.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Married 30 yrs, and you've gotten alot of good responses--I agree with most. I guess that I'd just add that marriage takes work--nurturing if you will. Many people get married or are looking for someone "to make them happy", you have to be prepared to put in if you want to get out. Also, I think you need flexibility. Things change as the years go by. A marriage goes through phases and you have to be prepared to give in sometimes--and that's hard for alot of people. Good luck if you take the plunge. The rewards can be great.
  • carolinafirefly
    carolinafirefly Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Deep mutual respect and admiration. Not sure how or if it's any different for men, but with most women, love tends to follow respect. Lose respect for your partner, romantic love and sexual attraction are out the door, too, no matter how much you fight to hold onto them. Choose someone with values you admire even if they're not 100% your own, but it makes it easier when they're similar.

Keeping a relationship going long term is a lot like slow and steady weight loss. You don't always feel "in love" anymore than you feel super inspired and motivated to stick to your calorie goal or exercise every day, but you do it anyway. Both require dedication and self-discipline to get through the days (weeks, months) when you're just not feeling it.

I also fully believe in the tent test. Go camping and try to put a tent up together. Make sure it's one of those giant ones with lots of telescoping poles and all, totally new to both of you. Throw away the directions, make sure the sun is setting in about an hour, and then go at it. If you work well together, test passed. Now that most tents are so easy to put together, you might have to pick some other test, though. How you work together is very important. Marriage is as much about working together towards mutual goals and a shared vision of the future as it is about romance.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    What's makes a good marriage is no different from what makes a good friendship. There just has to be that extra "spark" for the jump from friendship to marriage.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I'll keep it simple. Marry someone who you actually like as a person flaws and all vs just someone you have hot pants for hoping you can "change " them.