Measuring my cereal

Options
How on earth do I do this? I measured out 2/3 of a cup of Dorset brand cereal ("fruit, nuts & seeds muesli") but when I try to figure out the calories, I am expected to know the weight of what I ate (how many grams) instead of the volume. Yikes! Advice? (And if anyone can tell me the calorie count, I'd be grateful.)

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    do you have a food scale? For solid food, weight (grams) is far more reliable than volume (cups).
  • fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    No food scale. I guess I may have to invest in one, if I want to do this properly.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    It really is the best, the problem with cups is that you can get wildly differing weights in a cup depending how you squish it, whereas calories are a calculation based on weight. You don't need to splurge, a little digital sale shouldn't set you back much.
  • Blue_Yoshi
    Blue_Yoshi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As for kitchen scales, you can find some cheap ones on Amazon :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The weight is far more accurate than volume. I've found this true for most foods.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How on earth do I do this? I measured out 2/3 of a cup of Dorset brand cereal ("fruit, nuts & seeds muesli") but when I try to figure out the calories, I am expected to know the weight of what I ate (how many grams) instead of the volume. Yikes! Advice? (And if anyone can tell me the calorie count, I'd be grateful.)

Yo use a food scale...
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Tavistock Toad, I think you're right, and my calorie budget doesn't leave room for the extra 6 million!

I have a similar cereal, I have 30g on fat free Greek yoghurt and the cereal it's self is 160 calories for that teeny amount!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    A scale is critical for cereal. And you will be sadly disappointed with the actual serving size! I love cereal of all kinds, but rarely have it now because it's just not worth the calories most of the time.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    When I started weighing my cereal, as opposed to using measuring cups, I found that I was eating almost double the calories I thought. A scale is a must!
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Dates, which I dip in almond butter almost every night, were also way off when I started measuring. That was a huge let down.
  • PhiliswaM
    PhiliswaM Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have vegetables (carrots and cucumber) with my cereal now, the 30 gram serving is too little and the calorie count is too high.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Food scale. Amazon has great ones for $10-20 with hundreds of excellent reviews. I was amazed how many thins I was really inaccurate on before I started weighing everything from peanut butter to cooking oil.
  • CarolynSullivan1
    CarolynSullivan1 Posts: 5,956 Member
    Options
    I was shocked when I started using a food scale, things became so much easier too. 1oz of pretzels, or 28 grams, I get more w the 28 g!
  • PhiliswaM
    PhiliswaM Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    PhiliswaM wrote: »
    I have vegetables (carrots and cucumber) with my cereal now, the 30 gram serving is too little and the calorie count is too high.

Carrots and cucumbers with Rice Krispies sounds lovely. So do you add milk or italian dressing? :o

:D I add milk cause I eat oats, but I will try the dressing in future :D
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the scale. Before I got mine, I was going by the box. Quaker Harvest crunch, 2/3 cup (45 grams) is 210 calories. I would have a cup so ~315 calories. Then I got a scale and found 1 cup was 97 grams, or ~450 calories.
  • fastingrabbit
    fastingrabbit Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the example, grmckenzie. It confirms what people are saying about cereal and scales and so on.