What can I eat on Thanksgiving?!!?!?!1?!!

Options
chocolate_owl
chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
edited November 2016 in Food and Nutrition
OMG everything is SO FATTENI...Just kidding.

I'm getting over food poisoning. I spent Monday morning exploding from both ends and have existed on Saltines and oatmeal for the past 48 hours. Thanksgiving will be a 25-person potluck at my relative's house. I really, really, really want to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with my family. I want to partake of the food AND not have to leave early because I feel like crap. So far on my safe list: turkey, rolls, and maybe mashed potatoes if they're not loaded with butter and cream. What other standard Thanksgiving fare might be "safe," and are there things I just shouldn't eat?

I haven't had food poisoning since I was 18 and I rarely have digestion issues, so while I feel like this is probably a common sense question, it's not familiar territory for me. And I really wish I could eat all the things!!

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    It's one day.
    Srs
    Eat anything you want and enjoy your family.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I'm getting over food poisoning. I spent Monday morning exploding from both ends and have existed on Saltines and oatmeal for the past 48 hours. Thanksgiving will be a 25-person potluck and my relative's house. I really, really, really want to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with my family. I want to partake of the food AND not have to leave early because I feel like crap. So far on my safe list: turkey, rolls, and maybe mashed potatoes if they're not loaded with butter and cream. What other standard Thanksgiving fare might be "safe," and are there things I just shouldn't eat?

I haven't had food poisoning since I was 18 and I rarely have digestion issues, so while I feel like this is probably a common sense question, it's not familiar territory for me. And I really wish I could eat all the things!!

I'd agree with everything you've listed, just go steady and see how you feel.

At least you'll have lost loads of weight this week!!
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Just looking at certain foods, you'll know if your body is cool with them. Accept that everything likely has butter ;-) for me, recovering from food poisoning/stomach flu means I eat whatever I feel like, if I'm back on solid foods.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Yes turkey, potatoes and bread are safe.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Being sick at Thanksgiving has go to be the worst! Turkey, rolls, and mashed potatoes should be fine. If there are carrots that aren't cooked in brown sugar or green beans that aren't made as a casserole you might be able to have some of those too. I would stay away from anything that might have too much "spice" so steer clear of the pumpkin pie and stuffing. Maybe take a slice of pumpkin pie home with you to eat when you're feeling better?
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Being sick at Thanksgiving has go to be the worst! Turkey, rolls, and mashed potatoes should be fine. If there are carrots that aren't cooked in brown sugar or green beans that aren't made as a casserole you might be able to have some of those too. I would stay away from anything that might have too much "spice" so steer clear of the pumpkin pie and stuffing. Maybe take a slice of pumpkin pie home with you to eat when you're feeling better?

Also overly fatty things can also cause GI distress
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I was all ready to reply with how much of my awesome made-from-scratch baked pork and beans is and I'm gonna demosh the whole bowl.

Now I'm sad.

Yeah, keep it bland. White meat. Easy on the gravy. Stay away from egg nog.
  • mari5466
    mari5466 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Usually when my stomach has issues, try to eat only cooked vegetables, no raw salad. I don't drink alcohol either.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it was food poisoning? Because what you describe sounds like the norovirus. Which is hell on earth but only 24 hours for the worst of it and by Thanksgiving you should be all good to eat whatever again.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

I'm getting over food poisoning. I spent Monday morning exploding from both ends and have existed on Saltines and oatmeal for the past 48 hours. Thanksgiving will be a 25-person potluck at my relative's house. I really, really, really want to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with my family. I want to partake of the food AND not have to leave early because I feel like crap. So far on my safe list: turkey, rolls, and maybe mashed potatoes if they're not loaded with butter and cream. What other standard Thanksgiving fare might be "safe," and are there things I just shouldn't eat?

I think your list seems pretty reasonable. It's also entirely possible that you'll be a lot better by tomorrow and able to eat more things.

Many GI issues resolve within 24 to 48 hours and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if you feel a hell of a lot better by tomorrow.

But anyway I would tend towards foods that are more bland and I think your list seems pretty reasonable.
  • chocolate_owl
    Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone :) Good to know I'm on the right track.

I'm getting over food poisoning. I spent Monday morning exploding from both ends and have existed on Saltines and oatmeal for the past 48 hours. Thanksgiving will be a 25-person potluck and my relative's house. I really, really, really want to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with my family. I want to partake of the food AND not have to leave early because I feel like crap. So far on my safe list: turkey, rolls, and maybe mashed potatoes if they're not loaded with butter and cream. What other standard Thanksgiving fare might be "safe," and are there things I just shouldn't eat?

At least you'll have lost loads of weight this week!!

Hahahaha always a silver lining ;)
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    Just looking at certain foods, you'll know if your body is cool with them. Accept that everything likely has butter ;-) for me, recovering from food poisoning/stomach flu means I eat whatever I feel like, if I'm back on solid foods.

That's what I've been doing so far. I guess if it's going to upset my stomach, it still won't sound appealing tomorrow.

Plain green beans sound palatable. Hopefully someone brings some. I'm making all the pies, I know how damn good they're gonna be. I do all my crust from scratch. There will definitely be pie taken home and saved for another day!

Also overly fatty things can also cause GI distress

Fatty things are my biggest worry. Thanks for chiming in here, I knew you'd know!
    Are you sure it was food poisoning? Because what you describe sounds like the norovirus. Which is hell on earth but only 24 hours for the worst of it and by Thanksgiving you should be all good to eat whatever again.

I was suspecting salmonella based on what I ate that day, but it could be norovirus. My mom got sick the day before I did with the same symptoms (in an entirely different city, eating something else... is sympathy food poisoning a thing?), and she's still feeling kinda yucky, so I'm a little worried it won't clear up by tomorrow. Going to be optimistic though, because not having pie on Thanksgiving is sad.
    SideSteel wrote: »

Many GI issues resolve within 24 to 48 hours and honestly it wouldn't surprise me if you feel a hell of a lot better by tomorrow.

Fingers crossed for this to happen!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    So three things OP:

1. I hope you feel better soon, stomach issues, whether from food poisoning, a virus, or anything else are the worst!
    2. In addition to the "safe" foods you've identified already, can you make yourself a plate of leftovers to be enjoyed a day or two later when you are definitely feeling up to enjoying all your favorites?
    3. Can you plan a "Friendsgiving" meal in a week or so with a few close friends since you may not get to enjoy the food as much on the actual day? Maybe take that opportunity to try different type of recipes than each of you normally eat with your families, or make it about everyone's family favorites.

Good Luck!
  • chocolate_owl
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    So three things OP:

1. I hope you feel better soon, stomach issues, whether from food poisoning, a virus, or anything else are the worst!
    2. In addition to the "safe" foods you've identified already, can you make yourself a plate of leftovers to be enjoyed a day or two later when you are definitely feeling up to enjoying all your favorites?
    3. Can you plan a "Friendsgiving" meal in a week or so with a few close friends since you may not get to enjoy the food as much on the actual day? Maybe take that opportunity to try different type of recipes than each of you normally eat with your families, or make it about everyone's family favorites.

Good Luck!

1. Thank you :)
    2. I'm going out of town on Friday, so a whole plate of leftovers isn't a great option. I'll freeze some pie, though.
    3. I've got a lot of holiday parties on my calendar already, and I don't really need to do the event over. Most of this food will come around again at Christmas. It's definitely not my last opportunity ever to have stuffing! It's a bummer to miss out when everyone else is talking about how great it is, but as long as I'm there with my family all is good.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    If it were me I'd plan to eat bland plain foods and eat small portions.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Pretend you're British for the day. We don't have Thanksgiving :smiley:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Maybe applesauce if there is any, rice/pilaf. But yeah, stick with bland.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    butternut squash, sweet potato, maybe the pumpkin pie without crust. Its the other ingredients you have to worry about.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    This could just be me, but impersonally would avoid turkey if my stomach was on the mend. Even when not sick, I have to eat turkey in very small amounts because it actually makes me sick. I usually eat a small portion of dark meat/part of a leg and that's it.