What was your rock bottom to get heathly?

Options

Replies

• chrmad
    chrmad Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty lonely so I tried onlinedating a couple of times to meet some girls but nobody wanted to talk to me. So I figured If I stop eating I'll lose weigth or I'd just die. Both are fine with me I don't care. Nobody cares about me.
  • chrissjourney
    chrissjourney Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm only 21 and all my life ive been "big" Year by year,Stone at a time and I was consistently bullied throughout my teenage years at school ect. I even refused to eat in public in fear of being "Fat shamed" I always looked at my friends or people around me and wished I was them. Not being able to accomplish the dreams I wanted because I have low self esteem and confidence issues and even going out to purchase clothes I couldn't find any that fit me,even if I did,they are tight and uncomfortable and not exactly your fashionable items. Underneath my exterior I have so much personality that I want to express with the way I dress ect and I feel at a standstill. Both my parents have diabetes and I was informed a few years ago I had a "fatty liver" but still I hid in the shadows not realizing how big I actually am, I don't want to be this person. Due to my own personal reasons,depression as one,i comfort eat. After many failed attempts at "diets" 13 days ago ( Not long I know) I decided,enough was enough and with 2017 around the corner I want to use it as a platform for change and finally look and feel healthier! I need all the motivation/encouragement and advice I can get! its such a long journey,but I'm tired of feeling repulsed by myself,theres not one thing about me I can say I honestly like! self hate?? but all of you are an inspiration to push myself! x
    Aww, you pull at my heart strings! While I was lucky enough to never been bullied growing up I totally know the insecure with yourself part of it. Also not having much of a choice in close at size 18 because back then (I'm 39) being big was less common I guess and so everything was not age appropriate for me. Even though your journey has just begun you are so young and you keep going girl! You got this!!
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    grmckenzie wrote: »
    It wasn't rock bottom for me. It was a hole and a pile of rocks. Seriously. I had drainage issues that regularly flooded my garage so I had to dig down to the drainage pipe, take the dirt to the dump and filled it in with drain rock. About halfway through I bought a fitness tracker and saw where my heart rate was going. Well, I moved the rock (~12.5 yards) and have just kept dealing with my weight ever since. Been since September and down 40 lbs or so.

I'm amused by the doctor story above only because I'm not going to the doc until I'm down in weight. Maybe when I'm 250 or so. Just such a pain to find one in this town that I don't want the conversation to be about my weight when I know (at this point) I'm dealing with it.

40lbs is major! Good job on "dealing with it"!

• chrissjourney
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    When I realized I was avoiding the (mirrored) closets in my house because I truly loathed myself for getting so enormous

I feel you here. My work is total glass and that reflection gets me every day.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    I was on my second set of scales as i'd 'outgrown' the old set and I still managed to 'zero' them.

One full loop back to zero was my moment to say 'enough'

I'm glad you found your enough moment. I wonder what mine will be????
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    chrmad wrote: »
    I'm pretty lonely so I tried onlinedating a couple of times to meet some girls but nobody wanted to talk to me. So I figured If I stop eating I'll lose weigth or I'd just die. Both are fine with me I don't care. Nobody cares about me.

Well I'm really hoping just for weight loss for you. There is a special someone out there for everyone, you just haven't found yours yet. I truly hope things get better for you!
  • MikilouB
    MikilouB Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    For me, it was a a diabetes and RA diagnosis, combined with being the highest weight I'd ever been. I started at 250 in March 2016, now I'm down 63 pounds. I've developed some additional health issues, not weight related...cancer. However, I am convinced that being healthier, under 190, has helped me fight this latest issue. Losing weight doesn't get rid of all the problems I have, but is one thing I can control and feel good about!
  • chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    chunkytfg wrote: »
    I was on my second set of scales as i'd 'outgrown' the old set and I still managed to 'zero' them.

One full loop back to zero was my moment to say 'enough'

I'm glad you found your enough moment. I wonder what mine will be????

For some its a massive moment and for others like me it probably seems quite insignificant. Regardless the fact you're on here would suggest you've already had yours.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I think I've hit rock bottom a few times now. The most recent, and the one that stands out the clearest, is the time I went to the mall looking for something cute to wear for date nite. Picture Tracy at 187 lbs, standing in the change room, in tears. I had just turned and got a look at my *kitten*, and was absolutely devastated. Nothing looked right, and my butt didn't even resemble a normal butt anymore. In the end, the girl found me a little outfit that fit nicely, I got to the cash to find out it cost $400 bux!!!! I paid it. In tears, embarrassed that nothing fit, and embarrassed to admit I couldn't really afford the stupid outfit. I've worn it exactly ONCE. That was almost 4 years ago.
  • PhiliswaM
    PhiliswaM Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    For me it was moving back home after a year (I gained all my excess weight in a span of a year) and having to explain to everyone that no I was not pregnant, I was not sick. I just felt horrible having to laugh at the "you're really fat" jokes everyday from different people. I have since moved away again, will be going back in a year. And this time- I won't have to deal with the "shame" of having gained too much weight. I am determined to lose it all.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    MikilouB wrote: »
    For me, it was a a diabetes and RA diagnosis, combined with being the highest weight I'd ever been. I started at 250 in March 2016, now I'm down 63 pounds. I've developed some additional health issues, not weight related...cancer. However, I am convinced that being healthier, under 190, has helped me fight this latest issue. Losing weight doesn't get rid of all the problems I have, but is one thing I can control and feel good about!

What a great job on the weight loss! I'm sorry you are going through a cancer struggle now, I wish you the best!

• everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I think at some point you realize it's only going to get harder the longer you put off making the change.

I had been gaining weight prior to joining MFP and trying to change my eating habits. Gaining weight when I was already overweight. Gaining weight until I was in the obese category for my height.

I had to put a stop to it somewhere and I just decided to do it one day a month ago.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    I think I've hit rock bottom a few times now. The most recent, and the one that stands out the clearest, is the time I went to the mall looking for something cute to wear for date nite. Picture Tracy at 187 lbs, standing in the change room, in tears. I had just turned and got a look at my *kitten*, and was absolutely devastated. Nothing looked right, and my butt didn't even resemble a normal butt anymore. In the end, the girl found me a little outfit that fit nicely, I got to the cash to find out it cost $400 bux!!!! I paid it. In tears, embarrassed that nothing fit, and embarrassed to admit I couldn't really afford the stupid outfit. I've worn it exactly ONCE. That was almost 4 years ago.

That sucks and yet I can relate. I have spent many of times silently crying in the dressing room. For some reason those mirrors seem to have a zoom in option in them or something. $400!! I hope you don't have to do that again!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options

That sucks and yet I can relate. I have spent many of times silently crying in the dressing room. For some reason those mirrors seem to have a zoom in option in them or something. $400!! I hope you don't have to do that again!

Hopefully NEVER again! I've lost 80 so far (gained back five in the last few weeks tho!).
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    everher wrote: »
    I think at some point you realize it's only going to get harder the longer you put off making the change.

I had been gaining weight prior to joining MFP and trying to change my eating habits. Gaining weight when I was already overweight. Gaining weight until I was in the obese category for my height.

I had to put a stop to it somewhere and I just decided to do it one day a month ago.

Being told you have hit the obese category by your doc is for sure no fun. I thought like what!?! I mean I'm pretty tall and I was active I though no way I was "obese". I'm glad you had your moment.

• chrissjourney
    Options
    PhiliswaM wrote: »
    For me it was moving back home after a year (I gained all my excess weight in a span of a year) and having to explain to everyone that no I was not pregnant, I was not sick. I just felt horrible having to laugh at the "you're really fat" jokes everyday from different people. I have since moved away again, will be going back in a year. And this time- I won't have to deal with the "shame" of having gained too much weight. I am determined to lose it all.

Fat jokes = not cool! I hope you show them.
  • chrissjourney
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    I know that this isn't on par with other people because I've never been overweight, but I really started to pick up my routine back at the end of August - I saw a photo of me with my niece and I just felt that I looked awful and I decided that I don't want to feel like that when I look at photos of myself anymore.

Hey an Aha moment is an Aha moment. Glad you decided to get healthy!
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My niece telling me that I must scare people with me going outside. It still stings even though. But she saved my life
  • JeffreyOC
    JeffreyOC Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    Not fitting on a roller coaster, it was the most most embarrassing thing ever.