How to figure out my calories

Options

Replies

• leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Oh and as for exercise as I mentioned I walk 3x a week outside or the mall if weather prohibits.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You are short like me so the window for calories is more narrow for us compared to taller people. Being as accurate as you can with calorie estimates is going to be crucial because of our narrow window (between the deficit and maintenance). 1200 is not such a low number for us, but it would be to low for taller people. It's only about 300 calories below your actual maintenance, that is a perfectly acceptable deficit. Make sure to eat up to 1500-1600 calories at least one day a week to keep your hormones stable.

Right now is kind of a catch 22 with your weight, as you lose some later you might find you can exercise. The extra burden of weight puts a lot of stress on our joints and internal organs. It's an amazing feeling when that burden is lifted so never settle!!! You will be amazed if you keep going.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options
    qxj9h7743j1r.png

OP is not an athlete.
  • ewhsweets
    ewhsweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Kaysteroni wrote: »
    I enjoy my fruits and vegetables. I like apples, bananas, cantaloupe, grapes, plums, Peaches, strawberries, oranges. Carrots, onions, potatoes, green beans, yellow wax beans, tomatoes, corn, Peas, Lima beans.

Its just a lot of them are too pricey for what I get each month.

Steak is usually about 4oz uncooked.
    Tortillas are 160 for 2.
    Margarine is 60 for 2 tsp. I'm thinking on switching to the "I can't believe it's not butter"
    My cheese is 50 calories. I don't have it all the time.
    The homemade fries I just cut up a potato, spray it with a little oil and place it in the oven.
    Soup is usually a vegetable or tomato.

you can eat these things its fine just make it fit into your calorie goals,you dont have to cut anything out unless you have a health issue,since your dr told you to cut out/cut down on sugars do that. but why did he say cut down on fat? frozen veggies can also be cheaper and is just as good as fresh. is it possible to see a dietitian that specializes in diabetes? since you are disabled do you get disability

I do go to a dietitian. I get a disability check each month but it isn't much

So I'm a bit confused. If you have a dietician they should be able to give you a healthy diet plan to follow, if you ask I'm sure they'll give you an evaluation complete with caloric goals suited for your particular situation. Also your doctor if you've discussed using diet to control your diabetes should def have some advise on diet/nutrition plans that are perfect for you. I would listen to them before anybody online including me...

That said, if you're simply looking for online advise; cut out the processed foods and all of that margarine first. The meal you listed above is almost 500 calories not even including your protein or soup. Three of those a day has you at 1500 calories not including beverages etc. If you use MFP meticulously it will work and if 1200 is too low for you now, drop slowly to that number to allow your body to adjust.

I would shy away from removing any whole grains/fruits or vegetables if you can help it.

Helloitsdan has given you some pretty good advise that are accurate as well.

Good luck to you.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I wanted to touch on this "I live next door to a YWCA, I can't afford to go there."

In my area, the Y has sliding scale and even 100% free membership for some people. If I were you, Kay, I would go over there and see what (if anything) they can do for you to help you get a couple days of exercise. It will help your hunger levels a lot and will help you in many other ways as well. I would be a mental basket case if I didn't get any exercise.

Talk to someone in the membership office and tell them you want to come over at least 2/3 days a week for an hour. I'm sure they will find a way. Then as soon as you can, start to give them a few dollars.

Also, are you on Medicaid (you don't have to answer that) - or any insurance at all? Call them and tell them about your surgery. You should qualify for physical therapy - most physical therapy practices have access to a pool. At the very least they can give you some exercises on their equipment or a routine for your living room.

Moving more is going to be key for you, honestly.

No. I'm not. I'm on disability. I've only had ear surgery. I'm part deaf and got a Bone Anchored Hearing Aid implant.

Check out the Y. I get a subsidized membership when I am a member (I am currently taking a few months that off).

Thanks for the tip. I just got back from the Y. I'm approved for a subsidy. I only pay $14.20 a month. My first day is next week for an hour with a free trainer.

Awesome! Enjoy!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    OP is not an athlete.

OP would have to provide body fat % otherwise for that calculator. However, using IIFYM.com using her given attributes, the estimation would be around 1901 TDEE without any added exercise, so 20% from that would be 1520.8 calories a day. Still far above the 1200 MFP gave her. So every site is going to be different, but I see one pattern and that is 1200 isn't enough imo. At least until the OP loses some weight, then it may go down.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I wanted to touch on this "I live next door to a YWCA, I can't afford to go there."

In my area, the Y has sliding scale and even 100% free membership for some people. If I were you, Kay, I would go over there and see what (if anything) they can do for you to help you get a couple days of exercise. It will help your hunger levels a lot and will help you in many other ways as well. I would be a mental basket case if I didn't get any exercise.

Talk to someone in the membership office and tell them you want to come over at least 2/3 days a week for an hour. I'm sure they will find a way. Then as soon as you can, start to give them a few dollars.

Also, are you on Medicaid (you don't have to answer that) - or any insurance at all? Call them and tell them about your surgery. You should qualify for physical therapy - most physical therapy practices have access to a pool. At the very least they can give you some exercises on their equipment or a routine for your living room.

Moving more is going to be key for you, honestly.

No. I'm not. I'm on disability. I've only had ear surgery. I'm part deaf and got a Bone Anchored Hearing Aid implant.

Check out the Y. I get a subsidized membership when I am a member (I am currently taking a few months that off).

Thanks for the tip. I just got back from the Y. I'm approved for a subsidy. I only pay $14.20 a month. My first day is next week for an hour with a free trainer.

Yay!!!
  • jacksonkris8
    jacksonkris8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into your insurance? Some have the option to get gyms authorized... your doc may have to write a note but the ymca may have the ability to use your insurance.. just a thought
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Have you looked into your insurance? Some have the option to get gyms authorized... your doc may have to write a note but the ymca may have the ability to use your insurance.. just a thought

She's in Canada.
  • jacksonkris8
    jacksonkris8 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sorry i missed that... it's so awesome you got the membership!! You will start feeling better in no time! Good luck!
  • chandraminick
    chandraminick Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Learn to eat real foods, and find the ones that you like enough that you can eat the same thing every day for about six months. This will help keep you from over stimulating your appetite. Refuse to eat anywhere except at home. Research articles about "reverse dieting". If you eat the same thing every day, do the same exercise routine every day, and then reverse diet, you will naturally find out where your maintenance calorie level is. Then you can eat less to lose weight.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Learn to eat real foods, and find the ones that you like enough that you can eat the same thing every day for about six months. This will help keep you from over stimulating your appetite. Refuse to eat anywhere except at home. Research articles about "reverse dieting". If you eat the same thing every day, do the same exercise routine every day, and then reverse diet, you will naturally find out where your maintenance calorie level is. Then you can eat less to lose weight.

what does eating the same thing every day for six months going to accomplish? that would get pretty boring for most people. it keeps you from overstimulating your appetite? where did you hear this? not to mention who wants to do the same workout day in and day out?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options

I understand what you're saying but my goodness this sounds boring. Why Not diet eating a wide variety of foods and enjoy the process? This sounds like prison.
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Crikey.

If I ate the same thing every day, I'd give up from boredom about 4 days into the diet. I have an almost superstitious horror of even having the same dinner two days running.

Being able to have a huge variety within my calorie ballpark is what keeps me going.
  • Zephrine
    Zephrine Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I understand what she means when she asks for what a list of foods to eat. When you first start, it's so difficult that it's hard to know exactly where to begin! And for some of us, it would be alot easier if someone came along and handed us a list of what we should eat haha.
    I'm just restarting also, and also on a limited budget. My breakfast is easy because I usually just have yoghurt with some fruit. For lunch or dinner, I have a low fat smoothie made with skim milk and a banana and a protein/diet powder. My other meal is generally a toned down version of what the rest of the family is having. So more basic veges, less meat etc Snacks tend to be crackers with cucumber, or tomato. Sometimes lunch will be some sort of sandwich. I've found that in-putting stuff before I eat it, helps me keep within my calories because I can see how much my meal adds up to. (the other night I had some fries with my meal, but weighed and counted out to see how many I could have and stay within calories.) As others have said, scales are your best buddy! :)
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Is anyone able to help me figure what to buy to last 28 days for about $200.

This is how much money I spend a month on food. I think spending more, with it only being just me, is ridiculous. Of course prices may be different where you are from where I am but typically I buy:

Breakfast = milk + cereal because it's cheap and I can eat all week long on one box of cereal and one thing of milk. I get Cheerios with added Protein. I also buy Greek yogurt if I have the money in my budget to go with breakfast and I'll have a piece of whatever fruit I bought (that was on sale).

Lunch = everyone always goes on about processed foods blah blah blah. But a lot of times I'll eat some type of frozen meal for lunch. A lean cuisine or a smart one or a healthy choice or whatever. It's cheap and it's something different. However, this can become pricey if I eat them everyday for lunch so I also have leftovers for lunch or sandwiches or quesadillas. Sandwiches are great because all I need is a loaf of bread, lunch meat, cheese, tomato (if cheap enough), and sometimes I'll add spinach.

Dinner = I try to buy whatever meat is on sale, but I also try to buy something I can use for several meals (cheaply). Usually buy frozen vs. fresh veggies because it's cheaper. Chicken breast is always great if I catch it at a great price because I can do ten million different things with it - have it in soup, have it baked, grill it, make chicken salad, stuff it, etc. I also like to make dishes that I only need one or two ingredients for. Cuts down on price if I'm making something and I already have most of the ingredients at home.

Lastly, if you google cheap healthy lunch or cheap healthy breakfast or dinner there are a million recipes. There's also practical advice from bloggers who live on similar food budgets.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    I don't have a lot to buy groceries. So it's going to be really hard

I don't know what grocery prices are in Canada and how much you have, but for one person I get a healthy, varied diet plus quite some snacks on about 70 pounds per month. How? Quite easy: Bulk up on cheap things and cook for several days. For example:

make a curry sauce or buy a ready-made one if you must.
    Buy cheap cuts of meat, offal can be really cheap! or paneer for example.
    Cut in pieces, fry in pan with bit of oil. Add the biggest onion you can find in bug chunks, cook until done.
    Add a tin of tomatoes (400grams) and the curry sauce
    Add a lot of cheap, frozen veggies. Broccoli, cauliflower and carrot are very nice in a curry actually! Or buy fresh veggies that are in season.
    Serve with white rice, potatoes, or whatever your diabetes allows you to eat.
    I get about 4 portions (rest in fridge/freezer) and one portion costs about 75 pence (readymade sauce) to 50p per portion. The important thing to keep in mind is that the meat and veggies don't get drowned in a curry sauce but they get some sauce. The stuff inside the dish is more important than the sauce.

You can do the same with pasta dishes, and also cook for several days and bulk up the dish with lots of veggies.

Also don't go to the supermarket thinking you need apples, cooked ham and cheddar. Go to the supermarket looking for fruit, meat stuff for on bread and cheese. Buy what's on offer.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If you are on disability and you live next door to the YWCA then you should qualify for a subsidized membership. Ask at their help desk.

I've collected exercises people can do in their home that are low strain and don't cost much.

http://pin.it/EQcluL9
    I thought you'd like this Board on Pinterest...

As for calorie counting, just start logging all your food. MFP will help add it all for you.

Congrats for keeping your blood sugars under control.