Options
2»

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    TOXUTHAT wrote: »
    Greetings,
    I was just wondering how you intend to deal with Thanksgiving dinner? I know at my house, the table will be full of food and deserts. I will probably eat what ever I want, just not eat too much.
    Your thoughts?

This pretty much sums it up. I'm going to try and avoid the deserts and the stuff/gravy so I have some calories left over for beer and wine.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Same thing I do at every dinner, be it at home or anywhere else. Eat what I normally would. Some meat, some veg and some carbs. Just because its a holiday does not mean you have to eat like you never seen turkey before. Also this going to the gym to pre-burn the calories is just dumb. Why punish yourself so that you can have that extra few bites?

The bold I agree with 100%. This is my philosophy as well.

However, working out in the morning for me is NOT punishment. It's enjoyable and necessary because I cannot sit still for very long and sitting around someone's house for hours while people eat and talk and watch TV drives me crazy with boredom. The activity earlier in the day helps me deal with it better.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Same thing I do at every dinner, be it at home or anywhere else. Eat what I normally would. Some meat, some veg and some carbs. Just because its a holiday does not mean you have to eat like you never seen turkey before. Also this going to the gym to pre-burn the calories is just dumb. Why punish yourself so that you can have that extra few bites?

I think this depends on whether or not this is some kind of arbitrary exercise activity or if it's part of your normal programming...

Personally, I won't be going to the gym in the morning but we have a long standing tradition of doing a Turkey Trot first thing Thanksgiving morning...then we will come home and put the parade on and I'll get cranking on dinner. Thursday is usually lifting day for me, but the Turkey Trot interferes with that...so lift today and Friday instead.
  • Karb_Kween
    Karb_Kween Posts: 2,681 Member
    Options
    Like one person said, I'll be frantically running around the kitchen taking care of things. I'm more worried about the others
  • ekim2016
    ekim2016 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    eat less than my caloric limit the day before and day after.... just balance and wise choices for me... tired of being fat and a slave to desire.
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Steak & Salmon. And ginger cake. But then, there's just 2 of us. We get to eat like kings cuz we aren't feeding a crowd.

steak and lobster tails for us. Again just 2.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Wife and I are both hitting the gym early, then it's off to visit with the family and consume mass quantities. I still eat the same things, just smaller portions.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

Tomorrow I'm scheduled for a shoulder workout; I'm just not going to let a holiday ,celebrated in the afternoon, interfere with my morning training schedule.

I actually like punishing myself at the gym.

(Practice extreme personal violence in the gym and extreme kindness everywhere else.)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Eat and be thankful :smile: its one day, and tomorrow get back to usual calorie allowance whether that be eating at deficit or maintenance.
    I'm from UK and that's what I'll do at Christmas/Boxing day. I will minimise all the eating by a few long brisk walks on those days as well.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

However, working out in the morning for me is NOT punishment. It's enjoyable and necessary because I cannot sit still for very long and sitting around someone's house for hours while people eat and talk and watch TV drives me crazy with boredom. The activity earlier in the day helps me deal with it better.

You guys did not understand that last bit at all.
    What I mean was, to go to the gym to pre burn those calories because you want to over eat and over indulge at dinner. Not your daily gym regimen. I also bike, run or gym everyday but not so that I can eat a load of food later on haha :)

Well, I workout every day so I can eat more (or at least won't gain weight if I do), so it's pretty much the same.
  • foxandflora
    foxandflora Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I love eating dinner with my family. Just like most posters said, I am going to eat what I'd like BUT keep it in a reasonable amount. No need to go full crazy over it. I also am excited to use the food prepped today as my meal prep through the next week.

I am cooking my own "Friendsgiving" on Saturday, and I did modify some recipes to be healthier. Sweet potato mash mixed with cauliflower and sweetened with cinnamon and nutmeg instead of potatoes, roasted brussel sprouts instead of buttery green beans or whatever, etc. :smiley: I love cooking, so it is fun to try new recipes that mirror traditional thanksgiving!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

You guys did not understand that last bit at all.
    What I mean was, to go to the gym to pre burn those calories because you want to over eat and over indulge at dinner. Not your daily gym regimen. I also bike, run or gym everyday but not so that I can eat a load of food later on haha :)

Clarity is a great thing; we're good. * thumbs up
  • MichaelKarnes
    MichaelKarnes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've eaten whatever I've wanted today. A handful of days a year won't destroy your body.
  • Grey_1
    Grey_1 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Had a great meal + dessert. I kept it real and met my macros, but that's a good thing. I usually can barely move after a holiday dinner.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many of you belong to gyms that are open on a major holiday! Mine is closed 2-3 days a year, Thanksgiving being one of them.
  • Grey_1
    Options
    I'm amazed at how many of you belong to gyms that are open on a major holiday! Mine is closed 2-3 days a year, Thanksgiving being one of them.

Mine is in my basement. I have no excuses lol.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving over. I managed to skip the appetizers and alcohol. Dinner and a thin slice of cheesecake for dessert.
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »

I don't either, since I have plenty of exercise DVDs, a set of steppers (for step aerobics) and hand weights. But, I still did nothing yesterday!
  • Grey_1
    Options
    Grey_1 wrote: »

I don't either, since I have plenty of exercise DVDs, a set of steppers (for step aerobics) and hand weights. But, I still did nothing yesterday!
    Having the option = Priceless :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

Mine is only closed on Christmas. And open mornings only on Easter/Thanksgiving.