Keto diet

Options
I have PCOS and would like to swtich to a low carb diet to help with it. Has anyone tried this lifestyle change and how did it go?

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've done it for insulin resistance and it went well. I'm still doing it because I feel better eating LCHF.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily group. There are a few in there who use the diet to treat PCOS. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • Luckybeth
    Luckybeth Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am doing the Sanford Profile diet, 75 carbs per day. It is a keto diet. I have lost 41 lbs. Since Aug 5th.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Luckybeth wrote: »
    I am doing the Sanford Profile diet, 75 carbs per day. It is a keto diet. I have lost 41 lbs. Since Aug 5th.

keto is usually under 50g of net carbs a day and high fat,otherwise its considered a low carb diet.from what I can see of the diet you mentioned most of the foods are low fat
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

That would be a low carb (very low carb potentially) diet. You are unlikely to be in ketosis at that intake.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

That would be a low carb (very low carb potentially) diet. You are unlikely to be in ketosis at that intake.

Depends upon the individual and activity level. When I am running a CKD, I am back into ketosis within 24 hours of a refeed, and that was usually 500+g in a day. I also still hit it on my deadlift and squat days, and while doing cardio on my maintenance diet of 150g/day paired with over 200g pro. Seems like the leaner one is, the quicker they'll fall back in, as I've noticed my response times getting better as I've trimmed up over the years. When I was 265, it would take me over a week of carb restriction (>20g) to hit keto. Now it's more like 12-48 hours, depending upon how long I ran maintenance and what I am doing in the gym.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Depends upon the individual and activity level. When I am running a CKD, I am back into ketosis within 24 hours of a refeed, and that was usually 500+g in a day. I also still hit it on my deadlift and squat days, and while doing cardio on my maintenance diet of 150g/day paired with over 200g pro. Seems like the leaner one is, the quicker they'll fall back in, as I've noticed my response times getting better as I've trimmed up over the years. When I was 265, it would take me over a week of carb restriction (>20g) to hit keto. Now it's more like 12-48 hours, depending upon how long I ran maintenance and what I am doing in the gym.

Thanks for the info
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I am into my 4th week of the Keto eating plan, 20 g carbs or less (until today, our Thanksgiving celebration -- about 40 carbs). I am doing really well with it, losing about 1 lb a week and rarely ever hungry. The only thing I seem to miss on occasion is a sandwich, but the craving goes away rather quickly.
  • Sweetiepiestef
    Sweetiepiestef Posts: 344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

I hit ketosis for the last 2 weeks by going very low carb of under 30 net gram carbs a day and yesterday hit 80 g net carbs due to Thanksgiving and allowing myself to cheat.I used Ketostix today to test if still in Ketosis and I am, the amount of ketones is just not as large as it was at 30g net carbs, so I guess for everyone it is different. I am not working out right now either... (working out supposedly helps you hit ketosis faster after a re-feed of carbs)