Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I love cream on porridge. That's my Christmas morning breakfast, porridge with every dried fruit, nut etc I can find, brown sugar, cinnamon, some squares of dark chocolate, and double cream.

Porridge is not a weight loss food in my world.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I'm fond of Oatfit (100 calories per pouch--love the apples and cinnamon) and Trader Joe's Pumpkin Oatmeal (get it before it's gone!).

Don't really add anything--tastes yummy to me! :yum:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All of them, and nearly every day (pancake Sundays).

Steel cut brought to a boil and then heat off to thicken overnight.

Flake big or small cooked that day.

Overnight oats soaked in yogurt.

Nearly always eaten with fruit (frozen blueberries, bananas, currants, and/or raisins) and Greek yogurt. You may add more sweetener but I like mine plain.

You may also dress up with nuts, vanilla, chia, peanut butter (thanks MFP) or cinnamon.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Just wondering do you eat a lot of oatmeal on your weight loss journey?? If so do you use old fashioned or quick oats and what do you put in it to make it taste better?

I eat 2 servings of old fashioned oats basically every day, with 2 Splenda added. Takes 2 minutes, has 300 calories, keeps me full especially when I eat a few servings of egg whites on the side.
  • CaladriaNapea
    CaladriaNapea Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I eat a half cup (cooked) of steel cut oats for breakfast every morning. I add a quarter cup of skim milk and 12 grams of PB2 to give it more of a protein punch.
  • superstargalaxy
    superstargalaxy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal is a great way for me to get a good amount of carbs.
    I blend it with water, fruits, and protein powder for a post workout shake. Another way is make a hot bowl of oatmeat and add in some honey.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Just wondering do you eat a lot of oatmeal on your weight loss journey?? If so do you use old fashioned or quick oats and what do you put in it to make it taste better?

Sure, I love oatmeal. I prefer steel cut oats and have cooked a week's batch in the crock pot. I sometimes add pumpkin pie spice, most times nothing at all. Just top it with fruit and almond milk and enjoy. :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,036 Member
    Options
    Just wondering do you eat a lot of oatmeal on your weight loss journey??

Nope ... not at all.

It's not that I don't like oatmeal, but unfortunately oatmeal has absolutely no staying power for me. I eat a bowl of it, and 30 minutes later I am ravenously hungry and cleaning out the cupboards.

My husband, on the other hand, has it every morning and it seems to work for him.

• CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Interesting how much people vary in how long it keeps them going, I know there are individual variations but it isn't as extreme as this with most other foods, I think.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I just finished a successful experiment:

Having ordered a package of vital wheat gluten, I decided to try making a yeast bread using no other flour than oat flour and the wheat gluten. I started out with:

2 cups of oat flour. Ended up with about 3.
    2 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten.
    1/2 teaspoon of salt (one of my aims in making my own bread is to control the sodium).
    1 package of dry active yeast, mixed together with a tablespoon of sugar in a cup of warm water and left to do its thing for about 10 minutes.

To help things along with texture and flavor, I combined 1/4 cup of whole milk with 1/4 cup of olive oil. In the dry ingredients, I added another tablespoon of sugar, some ground cinnamon and some ground ginger, not too much, just a generous sprinkle of both. Then I mixed all the dry stuff up.

Added the yeast to the dry ingredients and started mixing by hand. It was really sticky, so I added more oat flour b the less-than-quarter-cup till the stuff stopped sticking to my fingers in favor of anything else. At that point, the milk and olive oil went in, along with more oat flour scatterings till the dough came together.

It kneaded quite nicely, and when I put it to bed for an hour to rise, it cooperated. Not nearly as much as wheat flour, but it was bubbly and it *felt* right. So I divided it into 14 rounds, let the oven come to 400 degrees, and covered the 14 babies up for a shorter period rise. Total bake time was around 22 minutes. The kitchen smelled nice! A good sign. When the bottom sounded hollow when tapped, I took them out.

Right now they're cooling, but I tried out one of the smaller rolls. The tops are smooth and soft. The bottoms nicely crusty. The inside looks like bread! The taste is bread-like.

At 14 rolls cut from a dough weighing in at 1lb., 10 oz., the calorie count per roll is 135. Fiber: 3 (next time I'll add some oat meal or bran after the first rise, to raise that a little). Protein: 5. Potassium: 140. Sodium: 87. Fats: Saturated: 1. Mono.: 3. No registered poly. No trans.

So a successful try and something to play with in the near future!
  • savanaburen
    savanaburen Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have old-fashioned oats nearly every morning for breakfast! Personally, I love the taste of oats (even plain), but I put frozen berries and cinnamon in mine for a little complexity.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Interesting trick with the oat flour and gluten. I've never seen gluten for sale, though I'm sure I could find it in health food stores. I've had success using cold porridge as a tangzhong (pre-cooked starch paste used as a softening agent in Asian style breads) and it's worked well. Adding dry oats can also give a nice flavour but sometimes makes a gummy loaf.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I don't like the texture of boiled oats, but I do like rolled oats 'marinated' in Greek vanilla yogurt, with strawberries and a pinch of salt. If I need extra calories I add a tablespoon of peanut butter.

However, this is a bedtime snack for me rather than breakfast - need way more protein to carbs to keep me full.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Interesting trick with the oat flour and gluten. I've never seen gluten for sale, though I'm sure I could find it in health food stores. I've had success using cold porridge as a tangzhong (pre-cooked starch paste used as a softening agent in Asian style breads) and it's worked well. Adding dry oats can also give a nice flavour but sometimes makes a gummy loaf.

Are you sure you've never seen it? Look closely in the baking aisle. It became popular to carry it because a lot of bread machine recipes called for it.

I can't eat gluten, but on the topic of oat flour, it makes the most amazing shortbread and pancakes.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    I've never seen it, doesn't mean it wasn't there! :)
  • NoNameJustMe
    NoNameJustMe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Old fashioned, 5-6 times a week. I usually add a little real maple syrup, honey, or frozen mixed berries.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Just to add I've seen recipes that call for extra gluten but I've never really felt the need, with white bread it's a question of working it hard enough, with whole wheat it's a question of letting the bran soak so it gets soft enough and gives the gluten a chance to develop without shredding it. Using gluten to make a loaf with an entirely different flour is the first use I've seen for it that seems worthwhile to me. That and making fake meat, which strikes me as an interesting project.
  • jadelois
    jadelois Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    30g of quick cook oats, 30g of protein powder (the not too sweet sort with nuts and chia in), 200ml milk and 10g of chocolate chips. So good.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yes. Steel cut or coaches oats for me. Every day.