Having trouble convincing myself that I need exercise...

Options
2»

Replies

• cbstewart88
    cbstewart88 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    For me - exercise is separate from my weight loss journey. I do yoga to calm my soul, stretch my limbs, challenge my body and build strength. I run to feel free, sweat, wake up my heart and body, and give my brain a sense of joy and well-being. I lift weights so I can still move furniture around and lift a case of water into my grocery cart...if these things contribute to weight loss, well then - icing on the cake!!!! :)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    regardless of whether or not you can lose or maintain weight,; exercise is necessary for a healthy body.

From your heart health, respiratory health, bone density, muscle mass, metabolic rate, mental health, and more.... exercise is required.

I like to think of maintaining a healthy body weight and keeping active as the bare minimum I can do to maintain my health and happiness. It is not some punishment or congratulatory activity, it is the minimum required to care for my body. I don't give myself a pat on the back when i brush my teeth everyday, because this is a minimum requirement.

My suggestion to you is to find ways to exercise that fit your personal lifestyle the best. Lifting makes you too hungry and you don't like it? Do something else!

From there you can create goals which you can work towards and accomplish.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    You don't need exercise down the road, you needed it years ago, and into the future assuming you want to do what you can control to live a healthy life.

As others have said, exercise is not needed for weight loss.

Good luck.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Exercise is like saving for retirement. Many people don't really see an immediate benefit and will put it off, frequently until it's too late.

Exercise is not necessary for weight loss but people who exercise regularly tend to enjoy improved mood and sense of well being in addition to the more tangible physical benefits and as you get older the benefits are more pronounced.

In 5 years you'll be 5 years older no matter what you do (unless you invent a time machine) you just have to decide what you want your future to look like.

This is a real eye opener.....

sweatscience.com/the-incredible-unaging-triathlete/
  • MiniMansell1964
    MiniMansell1964 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    less calories than you burn = weight loss
    less calories than you burn including excersise = weigth loss + health.

• Julie9151974
    Julie9151974 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am just starting my weight loss journey and have never worked out in my life. I just got a gym membership and am starting next week. Here is my motivation for going to the gym:

One of my sisters lost a significant amount of weight by focusing on strength training using the machines at the gym. Later she got married and for a long time was eating like her husband who liked fast food and meat and potatoes. She was not working out at the time, but she continued to maintain her weight loss because she had lost so much muscle.

I learned from her that strength training is the best exercise for losing weight and maintaining weight loss. If you do at least 30 minutes of moderately active cardio during your warm up and stretch after lifting weights than you should be getting enough exercise. I just hope that I will be motivated to get started next week. Good Luck!