Low CArb is not easy....

Options
2»

Replies

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    Low carb would be difficult for me. Luckily it isn't necessary to lose weight. I am so glad to have found mfp and realized that the only thing I need to restrict is calories. I eat what I like and for the most part I eat what my family eats. (I do eat more veggies than my husband, but I always have.) I did not find it difficult at all to lose weight this time. The first couple of weeks were the hardest because it is hard to go from eating large amounts to more appropriate amounts, but once I got past that I realized I was satisfied eating moderate portion sizes. I don't think that a way of eating should be complicated or difficult to adhere to. If it is, then that way if eating is not right for you.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    What's difficult about meat, vegetables and natural fat? Seems simple to me. :) that said, I've switched from keto to a more paleo-like way of eating. Because I missed fruit when summer arrived. (I live in South Africa and we have all kinds of gorgeous tropical fruits in summer and all year round)

Still didn't miss the carbs all that much - although I'm eating some bread now, (because I'm sick currently and all the fibre irritates my gut).

I guess what I really enjoy is finding new ways to make old favourites. I enjoy that challenge.

But yes, ultimately, calorie deficit. And find a WOE that you can stick to for life.

It's great that you've found something that works for you, but while I enjoy those kinds of foods as well, I also enjoy things like rice, oats, candy, cookies, condiments, alcohol (especially mixed with ice cream), etc etc. I love a wide range of foods, so arbitrarily cutting some of them out would only lead to frustration and failure. Instead I've learned how to continue eating all the foods I like, within the calorie parameters of my goals, and this has allowed me to not only lose the extra weight, but to now also be several years into maintenance :) I'm in this for the long term, and I eat in a way that's sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years.

Weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance comes down to calories. But, there's room within that truth to allow people to eat in a way that works best for them and their lifestyle. If low carb is a good fit then great, go with it! But, it sounds like it may not be a good match for the OP, based on the title of this post?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    What's difficult about meat, vegetables and natural fat? Seems simple to me. :) that said, I've switched from keto to a more paleo-like way of eating. Because I missed fruit when summer arrived. (I live in South Africa and we have all kinds of gorgeous tropical fruits in summer and all year round)

Still didn't miss the carbs all that much - although I'm eating some bread now, (because I'm sick currently and all the fibre irritates my gut).

I guess what I really enjoy is finding new ways to make old favourites. I enjoy that challenge.

But yes, ultimately, calorie deficit. And find a WOE that you can stick to for life.

It's great that you've found something that works for you, but while I enjoy those kinds of foods as well, I also enjoy things like rice, oats, candy, cookies, condiments, alcohol (especially mixed with ice cream), etc etc. I love a wide range of foods, so arbitrarily cutting some of them out would only lead to frustration and failure. Instead I've learned how to continue eating all the foods I like, within the calorie parameters of my goals, and this has allowed me to not only lose the extra weight, but to now also be several years into maintenance :) I'm in this for the long term, and I eat in a way that's sustainable for me, for the next 40+ years.

Weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance comes down to calories. But, there's room within that truth to allow people to eat in a way that works best for them and their lifestyle. If low carb is a good fit then great, go with it! But, it sounds like it may not be a good match for the OP, based on the title of this post?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Perhaps try the Low Carber Daily MFP group for low carb support? I find the extra support, recipes, humor and science in the group really helps me stay on track. Or at least mostly on track. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Low carb is under 100-150g of carbs per day... The easiest way to stay under that is to drop most sugars and grains, and limit the very sugary fruit (like bananas). If you skip bread as a side and choose another veggie or extra protein, I find it pretty easy to stay LCHF.

... And it's easy to skip the sugars and grains as long as I skip them. As soon as I have some, I want more and it gets hard again for a few days. For example, my mother made my family some gluten free cinnamon buns - my favorite food from childhood. I had one small bunlast night and the night before and now I am craving more and just want food. This is odd for me because I usually don't eat until the afternoon. It's distracting and difficult. Three days ago before indulging, a LCHF diet was very easy for me.

Anyways, good luck.
  • Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, you can "gain all of your weight back (plus some)" after going off ANY diet, not just low carb. I've done it a million times!

OP, find what looks sustainable to you, and give it a go. There's a world of possibilities out there, and each of us has a choice. And whatever you do, I have always found that adding some exercise is a plus! Good luck!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Bayluvr wrote: »
    Just for the record, you can "gain all of your weight back (plus some)" after going off ANY diet, not just low carb. I've done it a million times!

OP, find what looks sustainable to you, and give it a go. There's a world of possibilities out there, and each of us has a choice. And whatever you do, I have always found that adding some exercise is a plus! Good luck!!

So true. It's stopping the diet that is the problem, and not the diet. I think that's why people started calling some diets a "lifestyle". It's harder to change a lifestyle than a diet. ;)
  • Shadowmf023
    Shadowmf023 Posts: 812 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options

It's pretty difficult when you don't like meat and when fat doesn't satiate you, plus not being able to eat the other things I like, like oatmeal, potatoes, yogurt and legumes. I was basically unhappy with the food choices and constantly hungry. That's why I love this app, how you could use it with any macro distribution - from keto to 80/10/10 and everything in between.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

When you eat vegetarian 3-4 days per week, it's pretty difficult...I would personally want to gouge my eyes out if I had to live off of eggs, dairy, and avocados...for one, boring as hell...for two, I'd be hungry as hell all of the time...

Potatoes are good and highly nutritious...legumes are good and highly nutritious...lentils are good and highly nutritious and these among other "evil" carbs are staples of my diet. Some of the healthiest cultures on earth eat a diet that is higher in carbohydrates.

OP, you have to find a way that is at minimum easier...the process of losing weight is IMO, difficult in and of itself...making yourself miserable on top of that is pretty much a recipe for failure.

True true and true. I was speaking for myself only of course. Different people different strokes. :)

ETA - I wanted to add, in reply to crzycatlady1, I still eat ice cream, cookies, chocolates and so forth. I just eat Paleo versions of them. I make them myself - that's part of the appeal to me.

I've discovered that it's relaxing to me to make chocolate and/or bake cookies, muffins and so on. I just love experimenting with new recipes (with different ingredients) in this way! It's like learning to cook in a new way.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm aware that going off any diet may lead to weight gain or I wouldn't be here. I was just relating my experience on the subject at hand. It won't happen again.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Your ENDGAME should be to maintain whatever weight you've lost. In order to do that you need to eat a sustainable diet whatever that may be.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    For the record, I'm aware that going off any diet may lead to weight gain or I wouldn't be here. I was just relating my experience on the subject at hand. It won't happen again.

I didn't see anyone go against what you said. There wasn't realy anything wrong with it. Relate away.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Just eat food, and stay within your calorie limit.

People make things so complicated!