Why can't I get motivated!?!

2»

Replies

• courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Have you lost weight with calorie counting using myfitnesspal and weighing & logging your food? I made the assumption that that's how you did it in the past but maybe not.

How did you lose weight in the past? How much and how long did you keep it off those times and what happened to cause you to regain?

No both times before was on weight watchers. The first time was a weight loss competition and I lost 65 lbs. I kept it off about 6 months. The second time I lost 95 pounds and it was about a two year process.The second time started with a shoulder injury, then my mom had to go to the hospital, then my mother in law came down with leukemia and lost her battle shortly there after. Needless to say the wheels feel off.

Oh ok. Well I think you'll have great success with myfitnesspal, it is like a more accurate version of weight watchers. Get a digital food scale to help with food measuring accuracy- they're only like $20. And I stand by my earlier advice of making some form of fitness your hobby to keep you motivated and help keep the weight off once lost.

Totally get the wheels falling off thing! I recently went through a health crisis that lasted a few years and contributed to me putting on a bunch of weight to my already overweight self and putting me in the worst shape of my life. Got surgery to correct the healt issue about 1 1/2 years ago. Luckily I was then able to turn it around and with some effort & preserverence I'm now I'm in literally the best shape of my life (lots of strength, stamina, muscle) and on my way to a healthy weight (just need to shed a little more body fat).

You can do this- try to think of this time as the final time. This time you lose weight you will keep going until you are a healthy weight and that will be your new normal. No more lose and regain.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Motivation is overrated. It makes me smile now, but when I joined MFP, I was literally grumbling about how I was already unhappy & didn't feel good, and now one of my few joys- food- was going to be taken away. Great attitude, huh? But I decided just to try it. Not a major overhaul, but just to get my calories from MFP (based on a modest weekly goal) and try it, not worrying too much about food choices or anything. Couldn't really do much exercise at first because my joints were in pretty bad shape. Turns out, I could eat pretty well on that allowance and felt pretty good about it. A few weeks went by and I dropped a few lbs and I felt *really* good about that! After about 10-15 lbs came off, my joints started feeling better and I was able to be more active. Now the motivation kicked in! But like others have mentioned, it's never really about the motivation. It's been a year & a half for me now, and after losing about 40 lbs, I've basically been maintaining for months. I haven't been in a good place mentally to attack a calorie deficit, but the logging & healthy habits I've put in place have kept the weight off until I am ready to move on. I like that you mentioned you once took off almost 100 lbs over 2 years, so you already have a sense that this doesn't have to be done overnight. That can serve you well. All totaled, I've actually lost about 70 lbs over the last 5 years in fits & starts. I never felt highly motivated, or like I was having tremendous success, but the weight loss happened anyway. It can for you too. :) So maybe stop wrestling with the idea mentally, and just get your calories & go (and don't set your calories so low as to rob you of your joy!)
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    I would say my biggest problem is discipline, as pointed out earlier.

And as far as what I'm doing now I would have to say not much. Hence the problem. I am a creature of habit and when I finally get my mind right I am very disciplined. I work at a job where I am on my feet most of the day. @460lbs this takes an enormous toll on my body as the years are going by. By the time I get off work I am whipped. Constant fatigue and chronic pain have imprisoned me. I am a former football player and power lifter. In my last streak of being healthy I studied Krav Maga and Brazilian jiu jitzu along with being a pretty avid crossfitter for a 315 lb man. I have it in me I know I do. But I don't know how many more times I have. Each time its harder mentally and physically. I do know I feel my health failing fast and I'm not even 40.

And no I don't mind the questions. I made up my mind when I put this up that I would be brutally honest about myself if asked tough questions. I think its an important step.

I think you need to begin with small steps. I definitely echo everyone who says set MFP up for about a pound a week loss, get a digital food scale so you can weigh your food, and try to stay within your calories everyday. You have an active job so I would worry about doing additional purposeful exercise later on in your weight loss journey.

Another thing I think is important is figuring out where exactly your problem lies with food. Are you an emotional eater ? Are you eating a lot of the wrong types of foods ? Do you eat even after you a full because you enjoy the taste of food ?

If you figure out the problem then you can address it. For me, I've always had a problem with overeating. It's not that I ever ate so much chocolate or so much fast food or so many chips. I just would eat and eat and eat even when I was full. I would eat out of boredom, eat because I was upset, eat because I wanted to eat and not because I was hungry.

It's something I'm working on now. I want this to be my last go around too and in order for that to happen I have to change my relationship with food. If I'm full even if I have more calories for the day or more food on my plate I am trying not to eat more. If I'm upset or bored and want something to eat and I know that's why I won't eat even if I could fit it into my daily calories. I'm trying to break bad habits and form new, healthy ones. I'm reconditioning myself. It's hard, but I do it day after day and if I can do it so can you.

And I'll be honest and say I had a problem with restaurant eating. I'm a single person and it was just sometimes more convenient to go out to eat (and also I wanted to). Most portions at restaurants are incredibly large and are calorie bombs. That was killing me too. I've almost completely cut that out. It's not something I miss, it's better on my finances, and it's just easier to avoid.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    To me its a mental thing. Just wrapping your head around it.

I started with a mantra "Make up your mind and your body will follow". I would say it over and over throughout the day to help keep my mind in the "game" if you will.

So my suggestion is to start with your head. Make up your mind and commit!

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    How do you mean ?

Okay what usually happens is you decide to change your life.

You look at the big picture and see that nearly everything needs to change. What you don't understand is how habit change works.

If you lay out a 12 week plan, look back at today, and decide what you want to achieve each month.
    If you select 1 habit, add multivitamin and fish oil first thing in the AM, and do that habit for two weeks till it becomes a part of your day.
    Habit two could be Unplug from electronics an hour before bed, so you improve sleep quality.
    That's month 1. Honestly, you wouldn't even need to worry any food at that point. You're losing weight from the fish oil.

Set up a plan and simply chip away at the big rocks, one at a time.

If you work on one habit at a time, you're 80+% likely to succeed.
    If you work on two at time, you're 33% or less likely to succeed.
    If you work on three.... you're less than 10% likely to succeed and motivation flies by the wayside.

:huh:

this post was linked from another thread I was reading where the poster who linked it said your posts were confusing them. I agree with that sentiment.

I learned quite a lot from you years back, and your road map group was enjoyable

What has happened? why has your tone and my perception of your helpfulness and knowledge done a complete 180?

I mean absolutely no offence here @helloitsdan I'm just a little confused when someone I respected turns around and peppers an overall helpful post with such an outright lie. Is it merely hyperbole?

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess it's because this is now his "job". It is MUCH harder to make any money in the fitness industry unless you buy into a lot of the woo out there.
  • ericasmagic
    ericasmagic Posts: 1 Member
    Honestly I'm not a expert at loosing weight but if I was in your position I would do outside activities with my children, clean the house up more even if it is clean,and when you eat dinner chew it for a long time so you will get full.

Also if you are badly overweight you should take Alli weight loss pill
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,343 Member
    ...Also if you are badly overweight you should take Alli weight loss pill

...because involuntary oily orange anal leakage is SUCH a great motivator.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Honestly I'm not a expert at loosing weight but if I was in your position I would do outside activities with my children, clean the house up more even if it is clean,and when you eat dinner chew it for a long time so you will get full.

Also if you are badly overweight you should take Alli weight loss pill

What good will a pill do...?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    ...Also if you are badly overweight you should take Alli weight loss pill

...because involuntary oily orange anal leakage is SUCH a great motivator.

Confirming my belief that weight loss pills are generally crap :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,915 Member
    I know I could get back into competition shape............................if I really wanted to. Problem for me is that I DON'T want to do what it takes to do that anymore. 12-16 weeks of dieting is the issue. Dehydration and feeling weak for that time.
    So I see where you're coming from, but you're not talking about an EXTREME here. It really just comes down to starting by eating less than you're doing now. CONSISTENTLY. And not gonna kid you, it's gonna take more than a year or two. That's how far you should be thinking ahead for this.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png