I give up. Seriously ...can't do this.

Options
I'm 52, and while not seriously overweight (5'3, 134) Menopause has not been kind to me. 3 years ago, I went from a mobile moving about job to my dream career of being a writer full time. During this time I entered menopause., stopped moving about and gained a lot of weight, especially that damn back and tummy fat. I carry a tire around my middle.

I'm healthy, the doc says I fall into the normal weight range, just need to exercise and lose the tummy.

I can't do this. I weigh my food, watch my calorie intake, walk every day now for two hours. 3x a week I exercise (Sit ups, dance, etc) I never consume more than 1100 cals a day and average 1050. I rarely do sweets, ever, hate candy, avoid cheese, and drink black coffee and water (I don't log these).

I eat very little because I get full so fast. In this third MFP round 35 days later, I have lost 7 pounds but only 1.5 inches. I look in the mirror and hate what I see. I see no change. I buy big clothes to cover everything.

What is making this worse for me is my friend, same age 52 started MFP 18 months ago, but since January, she has lost 65 pounds (240-169). She doesn't exercise, works part time, ends her night with a high cal sweet treat and accredits her weight loss to fat free dressing and not exercising to avoid muscle weight gain. She shares her food diary with me as motivation. I couldn't possibly consume what she does. The last week alone, her snacks were as much as my daily intake, yet she still lost 3 pounds. She's defying all logic to me.

I know it's not a competition, but it's hard to go to dinner with someone who eats a whole steak, potato, salad with ranch and desert and boasts weight loss while i have grilled fish and a salad and fight to keep from gaining.

I just wanna say screw it and quit and buy bigger clothes.

Sorry for the long rant, this is the most discouraged I have felt in so long. I got a text she lost more weight, while I skipped most of Thanksgiving dinner to stay under calories.

Any advice or am I just overreacting and emotional. Damn menopause.

Replies

• jackiedruga
    jackiedruga Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I use a food scale, I am very meticulous about weighing items. The only time I don't weigh is when I consume,let's say a single serving of popcorn, I'll scan it.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    as counter-intuitive as it sounds when I upped my calories (I have a h, m, l day that I rotate though) - I started slowly losing weight

have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? what do they tell you? 1100 calories seems really low in general
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    if you open up your diary - people on MFP who are good at that kind of thing can take a look and see if they see any issues
  • jackiedruga
    Options
    as counter-intuitive as it sounds when I upped my calories (I have a h, m, l day that I rotate though) - I started slowly losing weight

have you calculated your BMR and TDEE? what do they tell you? 1100 calories seems really low in general

BMR and TDEE? Gonna say no, because I don't know what that means. I will look into how I measure those. 1100 calories is low and I did read an article that someone had to up their calories to lose weight.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    BMR - basal metabolic rate - the bare minimum calories your body needs to survive excluding any exercise
    TDEE - total daily energy expenditure - there are lots of different calculators out there
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

BMR and TDEE? Gonna say no, because I don't know what that means. I will look into how I measure those. 1100 calories is low and I did read an article that someone had to up their calories to lose weight.

Ya, don't up your calories just yet. Open your diary first. You may be making errors.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    I used TDEEcalculator.net to calculate and it gave 1424 for maintenance (assuming sedentary/limited working out)

https://tdeecalculator.net/result.php?s=imperial&g=female&age=52&lbs=134&in=63&act=1.2&f=1
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,338 Member
    Options
    While I'm fairly new at this (5 months) my friend, who lost 70 lbs told me my calories were too low. I started at 1200 so I upped them & started losing wt. I think 7lbs is good! It's not good to compare. Many ppl on here have lost more than me (25lbs) in the same amount of time. If you're loosing it's progress
  • jackiedruga
    Options
    THANK YOU GUY SO MUCH.
    If my TDEE is 1424, then I need to come in under that to lose, right?
    I really appreciate your support, this is a bad day for me and this helps.
  • jackiedruga
    Options
    jrulo16 wrote: »
    Be patient and stop feeling sorry for yourself.

You're so right!
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Increasing your calories to somehow "boost" weight loss is not scientific.

nope, not scientific, but there is anecdotal evidence - personally, I think its because I ate a lot more than I thought so when I started logging it was eye opening - but working with a dietician helped too