Oatmeal

Options
1235»

Replies

• miteyme
    miteyme Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am on weight loss 0.5kg per week. I take 30 to 40g oats muesli each morning for breakfast. Its fine.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Interesting trick with the oat flour and gluten. I've never seen gluten for sale, though I'm sure I could find it in health food stores. I've had success using cold porridge as a tangzhong (pre-cooked starch paste used as a softening agent in Asian style breads) and it's worked well. Adding dry oats can also give a nice flavour but sometimes makes a gummy loaf.

Oh, that sounds interesting! I'm going to Youtube tangzhong and see what I can find (I learn recipes best from a combo of print and visual).

I ended up ordering the vital wheat gluten online, from Jet.com. I haven't seen it in GNC, which is the only health food store I'm acquainted with, but I'm sure I could find it "live" if I put some effort in it!
  • luckey88
    luckey88 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I eat old fashioned oats 5- 6 days a week.... in fact its prepped in my fridge for the week as I type.
    1/2 cup dry makes a cup, mixed with water, 1/2 banana, 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon, 1 tbsp. of chopped walnuts cooked in the microwave, yummmmmmy!!!!!
    Works great for weight loss and wards off high cholesterol, and diabetes
  • allym979
    allym979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can't eat oatmeal without a sprinkle of brown sugar on top!
  • njk0215
    njk0215 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I alternate between oats and sultana bran. Lots of great ideas in this thread, I'll have to try choc chips next time. I use quick oats with water and mix banana, strawberry, and rice malt syrup into mine.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i eat steel cut oats ..i make enough for four days so all i have to do is heat it up because it takes a while to cook. i usually have it with some sort of nuts and seeds , sometimes add some craisins and always add cinnamon .. i started putting coconut /almond milk in it and it really adds to the flavor
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Current obsession is oatmeal (instant old fashioned, because lazy) mixed with cream cheese and blackberry jam. I also have made proats (vanilla protein shake mixed with the oats).

That said, I actually don't eat oatmeal all that often because I need a lot of it to feel full and by the time I'd done adding everything to it, it's like, 500 calories. There are a dozen other foods I'd eat for 500 calories before I'd pick oatmeal, so I really have to be craving it.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I LOVE oatmeal and could eat it at every meal. I prepare it the boring way though. :blush: I microwave about a 1/2 cup full then add a little salt, sugar, low fat spray margarine and low fat milk. YUM!
  • jprewitt1
    jprewitt1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I eat the Aldi brand packet oatmeal. The brown sugar kind. Not too fond of the other flavors. I'll add a little peanut butter or half a banana if I have one that isn't too ripe and it will fill me up for most of the morning.