ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Shivering: 100 calories in 15 minutes!

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/calories-burned-cold-weather-12046.html

I think I prefer the bathercise option.
  • ShammersPink
    Options
    Tube and bus surfing - travelling standing up while not holding onto a post or strap, and using your legs and core to remain upright. How much for that?

We call that sort of thing "stealth exercise".
  • ShammersPink
    Options
    Sucking ice cubes should be better than drinking cold water, because you have the latent heat of fusion to overcome.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Wow @ShammersPink you've obviously looked into all of this :smiley:
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    If cold water would do that in theory wouldnt hot also do the same? Besides it being significantly harder to swallow alot of hot tea fast XD

No. Because the hot tea would actually provide energy to heat your body up so your body wouldn't have to spend so many calories doing that. So, if the theory was correct, hot water would actually have positive calories. But food calories are actually kilocalories, so both the "hot water effect" and the "cold water effect" ought to be negligible.

And I appear to use the word "actually" way too much.

When I said calories I was meaning kilocalories. Raising the temperature of 1 liter by 33 degrees Celsius expends 33 kilocalories. So if you drank 8 liters of ice water in theory it would take at least 264 kilocalories to maintain your body temp. I just said calories because no one actually says kilocalories :-)
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    If cold water would do that in theory wouldnt hot also do the same? Besides it being significantly harder to swallow alot of hot tea fast XD

No that would actually be adding energy to your system basically adding additional calories.

Most of your basal metabolic rate is energy expended to keep your body at 37 degrees which in most places is above room temp. If you drank hot liquid your body would have to expend less energy to raise your body temperature because the hot liquid would be doing some of that work.

So no, in theory, hot liquid would be like extra calories...not fewer.
  • ShammersPink
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Wow @ShammersPink you've obviously looked into all of this :smiley:

;)

The bathercise thing was in a TV programme earlier this year and has been my excuse for wallowing in the bath regularly during my diet!

The tube thing is from drunken late night conversations on the tube home, the ice thing is vaguely remembered school physics (plus sucking ice cubes to cool down when I had a high fever recently!) and the shivering was recourse to Dr Google!
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Taking a long hot bath can burn 140 calories, allegedly:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36744906

Bathercise.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you are immersed in warm water your body would have to work less hard to maintain your body temp above ambient so I'd think if anything you'd burn fewer calories than if you had spent the same time at room temp.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Sucking ice cubes should be better than drinking cold water, because you have the latent heat of fusion to overcome.

True...phase transitions take a huge amount of energy which is why evaporation of sweat is so good at transferring energy away from your body.
  • xjulesjx
    xjulesjx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You lose weight (fluid) through a bath or a shower. I always have a cup of water after each the re-hydrate.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Bathercise.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you are immersed in warm water your body would have to work less hard to maintain your body temp above ambient so I'd think if anything you'd burn fewer calories than if you had spent the same time at room temp.

Ice bath here i come :lol:
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Bathercise.

Let me know how that goes:).
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    In before ice bath challenge for obesity awareness >.>
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    In before ice bath challenge for obesity awareness >.>

Lol.

I'm in!
  • Aaron_K123
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'd actually be really curious if there have been studies measuring the BMR of a person at different ambient temperatures. Would be curious if there is a noticeable difference between someone in a 4 degree room, a 25 degree room and a 37 degree room. I'd say bath but a 4 degree bath for 24 hours would probably kill them which would make their BMR zero which would throw off the measurement...and be unethical a bit. But if they do that they should at least take the 4 degree measurement last then.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »

Bathercise.

Let me know how that goes:).

Haha I struggle going past waist deep in the ocean on a stinking hot summers day! Even if i burned 500 calories sitting in an ice bath i don't think it i could do it.. For 1000 calories i may be persuaded :tongue:
  • leanjogreen18
    Options
    I vaguely recall a "diet" book I read and ice bath along with some sort of squats immediately after eating was suppose to help you lose weight, no joking I really read that. I'm looking for it now....
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    johunt615 wrote: »
    I vaguely recall a "diet" book I read and ice bath along with some sort of squats immediately after eating was suppose to help you lose weight, no joking I really read that. I'm looking for it now....

I squat in the mornings and lose some weight
  • leanjogreen18
    edited November 2016
    Options
    Here it is...

I actually bought this ebook :s ...
    https://www.amazon.com/Hour-Body-Uncommon-Incredible-Superhuman/dp/030746363X

And plugged on the Dr. Oz show. ugggggggggg