Replies

• iamhopeful
    iamhopeful Posts: 25
    Options
    Sounds like my hubby too.
  • iamhopeful
    iamhopeful Posts: 25
    Options
    You just have to stick with it. My husband eats like total CRAP. All processed foods and sugary things and drinks Mt. Dew like its water and I just have to stick to my own thing. Which is hard when he's like "Forget your diet and enjoy yourself". While he supports my decision to be healthy, he wishes I could just be happy at my current weight.

It is much harder though. Whenever I got out of a relationship in the past, I seemed to drop 20 lbs very quickly. Now that I'm in one for the rest of my life, I know its going to be a struggle every day to be healthy for me and not "let myself go"

Sounds like my hubby.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with yall - I've gained about 8 lbs in the past year (a lot for weight for a short girl like me). Me and my boyfriend's 1-year anniversary is in 2 weeks, so I think a lot of the weight gain is due to spending more time with him and eating like a boy with a high metabolism, and less time working out. Doesn't help that he's skinny as a rail! We're thinking of moving in together soon and I do NOT want to derail my progress. Glad I'm not alone in this!
  • sunshinemonkey
    Options
    You gotta get your mind right essentially.

It's a willpower, mind over matter.

Make healthy meals together, plan it for the week or something.

It all boils down to HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

totally agree with this. if your man is not going to diet then the only way you will lose weight is if you change what YOU eat.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It's very hard. I'm on a low carb diet. Years ago, my husband tried it. It was not a good diet for him. So he eats "normal" amounts of carbs. And there are lots of carby foods in the house. The only thing that helps me is having plenty of my low carb options in the house. Never run out of food that's allowed on your diet.
  • tbisca1
    tbisca1 Posts: 142
    Options
    My fiancee has been so, so supportive! He will eat all the healthy meals I cook and even has a few favorites he requests regularly. He knows he needs to lose about 10lbs or so but his weakness is sweets. I, on the other hand, do not like sweets at all so when he brings them home it doesn't bother, nor tempt me. He knows this so that will be the bad things he brings into the house. Now chips are my weakness and he loves them but he won't bring them to the house so as not to tempt me. But even if he did I wouldn't want to ruin what I have accomplished. I have lost 82lbs and no chip or soda would tempt me enough to go back to how I was eating!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is fair to ask him to do the same things as you if it is not something he wants to do. Especially if he has no weight to lose. My husband can eat anything he wants and not gain any weight at all. You just have to be able to decide what you want more, to lose weight and feel better or eat / drink all the bad things with him. If my husband makes something on the grill he asks me to come in there and measure my portion and then I pick the sides. If he wants something horrible then I eat something different than him. I used to drink frequently too, so now if I feel like having a beer or 2 I do but I don't do it often and I save my calories for it. I will say that the longer you do this the easier it gets to make the right decisions. Good luck

I agree with this advice!
  • miatavixxen
    miatavixxen Posts: 373
    Options
    oh thank goodness others have this issue too!

My bf doesn't work out, eats what he wants (granted he doesn't eat a LOT of sugar so that helps since we don't really have it in the house) - I found a fitness class i LOVE to attend (wouldn't miss it for anything) and he deals with those few hours of being alone. LOL As for at home workouts, i found it so much harder. We have a very small house so either he is in the same room, (which wigs me out) or he can hear the "elephant" on the hard wood floor every time I do jumping jacks (again, not a pleasant thought).

As for food, I do the shopping so he eats what I get. ;) I will buy him treats i can't stand so i don't get tempted - then whatever actual "food" i make, i give him 2/3 and I take 1/3.

But - YOU CAN DO IT! Trust me - I am the worst with willpower and sticking to something and I'm thrilled to be down 23 lbs.
  • watchmeshrink16
    watchmeshrink16 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Simply say no, you need to have willpower. My boyfriend is supportive he tries not to talk about foods that I like as much. Lol!!! I don't live with him; therefore, it is a different scenario. I live with my parents and sisters and they are always eating all kind of foods. I simply ignore it. Just say no and walk away!!!!
  • DawnWendalynn1973
    DawnWendalynn1973 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Im right there with you. My husband was diagnosed in 2009 with diabetes, and he started out really good with changing what he needed to for the condition.

Now, not so much. The thing he has been best about is pop. He is in total agreement with me on not drinking it.

But, he is constantly bringing home sweets...wanting to do take out etc. Since my diagnosis and surgery in May this year....a life changing experience, I am not having as much of a hard time sticking to what I need to do to reach my goals.

I wouldn't wish my experience in May on anyone to help them with their will power....but before that, I caved ALL THE TIME!

Keep at it, it will come together eventually and you will be that much happier and more proud of yourself for getting through it and reaching your goals with such an obstacle as part of your journey.
  • red_hatorade
    red_hatorade Posts: 166
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. My boyfriend can and does eat whatever and doesn't gain much weight. We had a lifestyle where our thing was to eat together, and eat a lot. since i have started watching my diet, he wants me to eat with him still. He talked me into pizza last night (comfort food for my bad day) and I was weak yesterday and caved. On weekends, he wants me to drink with him, and those are just tons of empty calories. It is hard being healthy when the person you are with just eats whatever they want, i wish I knew the answer to your question. just know you aren't alone!
  • pjm1806
    pjm1806 Posts: 41
    Options
    I think you should just say no to him. If hr lives you he will help you out and if not that he at least wony put the temptation in fron of your face.

I don't live with my bf but we pretty much live together over the weekends. Friday-Monday and he knows I track everything that I eat and he supports. He is very against some of things I eat. Ex. Cereal and oatmeal. For me that's normal breakfast for him it's disguisting. His breakfast is a muffin from dunking donuts plus huge iced coffee with milk. What we do is I eat first at home and tale my coffee with me (hazelnut black coffe 5cal + 1tbsp creamer 35cal) . And he has his breakfast at dunkin donut. And he always saves me one small bite of muffin.

We usually don't snack an if I do it's again coffee. For lunch we have salads and that's his sacrifice as well as mine. None of us likes them. And we add some protein- usually chicken.

Dinner it's simple. He cooks on the grill. An sometimes it's not super healthy but I would tale off the skin or cut off the fat parts. I throw in some veggies there too. He skips them and eats rice and I skip rice. And everytime I try to get chocolate or peanut butter he just takes it away. And I asked him for it. But then again there are days we just have a nice deserts.

When we o out we share meal. I eat the mote healthier part and he the junk. Works for us.

You should try stuff like this. And I hope it helped a little
  • EdensMummy
    EdensMummy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have this problem. When my husband and I first got together 9 years ago, I was about 4 stone (nearly 60lbs) lighter than I am now!!

I am in charge of all the shopping and the cooking in our house, so I have just been making healthy dinners and NOT buying any of the crap I used to buy - no ice cream, chocolate, nothing. After dinner every night he goes looking for "something nice" and then realises there is nothing!

I think it takes a lot of willpower but you just have to stay focussed!
  • monocot
    monocot Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    its tough, I make my meal then I make his. which is like 4 times bigger then mine. as he guzzles pop, I sip at my 0 Calorie iced tea.. Makes me really want it and sometimes i might take a bite of his meal but in the end i try to remember. I lost 75 even with him here. I can keep doing this.
  • alynnbennett
    alynnbennett Posts: 182
    Options
    You gotta get your mind right essentially.

It's a willpower, mind over matter.

Make healthy meals together, plan it for the week or something.

It all boils down to HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

COMPLETE AGREE!!!!! 100%
    I live with my boyfriend and have the same problem but I need to lose the weight FOR ME! I resist the temptation, once in a while I give in but not to often. You will feel so much better when you just say NO! They should understand also and not pressure you to eat something that isn't healthy!!