How many calories burned shivering and

13»

Replies

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member

16 degrees Celsius? Amateurs.

Not suprised that has been studied, will have to take a look later.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,953 Member
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

16 degrees Celsius? Amateurs.

Not suprised that has been studied, will have to take a look later.

I reckon coldest I've jumped in was the Colorado River at the bottom of Glen Canyon. It was about 38F from memory...
  • Gianfranco_R
    Gianfranco_R Posts: 1,297 Member
    I'd actually be really curious if there have been studies measuring the BMR of a person at different ambient temperatures. Would be curious if there is a noticeable difference between someone in a 4 degree room, a 25 degree room and a 37 degree room. I'd say bath but a 4 degree bath for 24 hours would probably kill them which would make their BMR zero which would throw off the measurement...and be unethical a bit. But if they do that they should at least take the 4 degree measurement last then.

Of course there are, not even necessary a so low temperature
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3726164/
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I'd actually be really curious if there have been studies measuring the BMR of a person at different ambient temperatures. Would be curious if there is a noticeable difference between someone in a 4 degree room, a 25 degree room and a 37 degree room. I'd say bath but a 4 degree bath for 24 hours would probably kill them which would make their BMR zero which would throw off the measurement...and be unethical a bit. But if they do that they should at least take the 4 degree measurement last then.

Would you acquiesce to a rat study?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    Donating blood.... it's a wonderful thing to do AND burns calories (I've read around 650 calories per liter). So if you donate 5 times you can lose a pound AND save lives :wink:

That's interesting, I didn't know that! Being prone to low ferritin makes it an undesirable option for me anyway, so yeah, but interesting nonetheless.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Rawr619 wrote: »
    Donating blood.... it's a wonderful thing to do AND burns calories (I've read around 650 calories per liter). So if you donate 5 times you can lose a pound AND save lives :wink:

The calorie burn is spread over the 3-4 weeks that your body takes to replenish itself so it's not many calories per day ;)
  • timeforwork
    timeforwork Posts: 114 Member
    How many for shaking 2 reluctant children out of bed every morning? That's enough to break a sweat so must burn something
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    edited November 2016
    I've totally read that being cold burns calories, and I'm cold ALL THE TIME so why am I not skinny!!!??

It's BEING cold that matters, not FEELING cold. If you feel cold, it means your body is either unable or reluctant to burn the calories needed to keep warm and wants you to put on a damn jumper so it doesn't have to. If your body was happily burning calories to keep you warm, you would not feel the cold. You'd be one of those naturally slim people who stands around in the snow with a T-shirt on. If you want to burn calories keeping warm, you need to take off the jumper and start moving.

Many people I know who feel cold are not dressed properly for the weather. This is especially true for people who have lost insulating fat and don't realize they need to replace it with clothing.

I like to wear lots of clothes and keep the temperature down and am always having thermostat wars with people who want to be barefoot in the winter in New England. Put some slippers on! (And wool socks over cotton socks.)

These Sorel Manawans are amazing:

651094-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg
  • Monklady123
    Monklady123 Posts: 512 Member
    I've totally read that being cold burns calories, and I'm cold ALL THE TIME so why am I not skinny!!!??

Yes, that. lol. I'd be Skinny Minny if I lost weight when I was shivering from cold. -- Or, conversely, it seems like sweating a lot in the summer could also take weight off. You know, like those sauna things only this is all the time outside.

Yeah, I complain about weather in winter and summer. I do love fall and spring though. :)
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

It's BEING cold that matters, not FEELING cold. If you feel cold, it means your body is either unable or reluctant to burn the calories needed to keep warm and wants you to put on a damn jumper so it doesn't have to. If your body was happily burning calories to keep you warm, you would not feel the cold. You'd be one of those naturally slim people who stands around in the snow with a T-shirt on. If you want to burn calories keeping warm, you need to take off the jumper and start moving.

Many people I know who feel cold are not dressed properly for the weather. This is especially true for people who have lost insulating fat and don't realize they need to replace it with clothing.

I like to wear lots of clothes and keep the temperature down and am always having thermostat wars with people who want to be barefoot in the winter in New England. Put some slippers on! (And wool socks over cotton socks.)

651094-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

:open_mouth: I know what I want for Christmas now...

(My brother calls me Miss Ice Cube as I'm permanently cold.)
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member

651094-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I live in New England; but fear not, I am not one of those people. (And I want those slippers.)
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Go around nekkid in a New England winter with the heating turned off for maximum calorie burning. Just jump around a lot to stay warm.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

651094-p-MULTIVIEW.jpg

:open_mouth: I know what I want for Christmas now...

(My brother calls me Miss Ice Cube as I'm permanently cold.)

With these, cotton socks, wool socks, a turtle neck and a long sleeve t-shirt, and yoga pants, I am perfectly comfortable sitting at my desk with the heat set at 67 degrees. If I am also moving around, I get hot.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member
    Not enough that it matters. I'll admit though my mind has wandered to such things.

My favorite is the idea of drinking cold drinks. In theory your body has to work to warm a drink from its temperature in celsius up to your body temperature of 37 degrees. If the drink is room temp then thats something like warming it from 25 to 37 which is 12 degrees celsius. 12 degrees celsius for 1 liter is 12 calories. If its an iced drink though thats from 4 degrees to 37 which is 33 degrees celsuius or 33 calories, almost 3 times as much.

So in theory if you just chug ice water all day long you might burn significant;y more calories than if you had not just to maintain your body temperature.

I mean honestly that is probably true, can't imagine how it couldn't be true.

If you drank 8 liters of icewater in a day that would be an extra like 264 calories you could enjoy at least and that would assume your body was 100% efficient in warming the liquid which it wouldn't be.

EDIT: I realize that there are impressionable people on the internet so I'd like to add a disclaimer which is that if you end up killing yourself from injesting too much water because of this that is on you, I am not in any way advising people do this.
    Glad you put that in Aaron because you're right, there are a lot of impressionable people who'll resort to doing it out of desperation or quick fixing.
    And he's not kidding about killing yourself from drinking too much water and causing an imbalance of electrolytes in your body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Not enough that it matters. I'll admit though my mind has wandered to such things.

My favorite is the idea of drinking cold drinks. In theory your body has to work to warm a drink from its temperature in celsius up to your body temperature of 37 degrees. If the drink is room temp then thats something like warming it from 25 to 37 which is 12 degrees celsius. 12 degrees celsius for 1 liter is 12 calories. If its an iced drink though thats from 4 degrees to 37 which is 33 degrees celsuius or 33 calories, almost 3 times as much.

So in theory if you just chug ice water all day long you might burn significant;y more calories than if you had not just to maintain your body temperature.

I mean honestly that is probably true, can't imagine how it couldn't be true.

If you drank 8 liters of icewater in a day that would be an extra like 264 calories you could enjoy at least and that would assume your body was 100% efficient in warming the liquid which it wouldn't be.

EDIT: I realize that there are impressionable people on the internet so I'd like to add a disclaimer which is that if you end up killing yourself from injesting too much water because of this that is on you, I am not in any way advising people do this.
    Glad you put that in Aaron because you're right, there are a lot of impressionable people who'll resort to doing it out of desperation or quick fixing.
    And he's not kidding about killing yourself from drinking too much water and causing an imbalance of electrolytes in your body.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Or dying of hypothermia.
  • barni71
    barni71 Posts: 30 Member
    Taking a long hot bath can burn 140 calories, allegedly:

I always like weighing myself after a long hot bath as I'm usually .5 -1 lb lighter :smile:
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    English idiom factoid if the day:

The phrase is "skinny Minnie". After the name. It is from a hit song released by Bill Haley and the Comets in the 1950s.
    Well, slightly slimmer than a fishing pole

She’s one half rock and the half roll

Well, dig that chick from either side

And man, you’ll yell, “Where did she hide?”

Skinny Minnie, she ain’t skinny

She’s tall, that’s all