Tired of counting calories

Options
Started at 330lbs in September with goal weight of 260lbs.

Lost 8lbs in week one : no exercise.
1lb in week 2, zero lbs in week 3.

Week 4 started doing hiit workouts, and weight loss resumed.

Fast forward to present, current weight is back to 328lbs, I haven't used my fitness pal in weeks.

Getting frustrated with the calorie counting, anyone know an alternative to keep the calories down?

I know I'm being lazy, but I find calorie counting really annoying.

Currently , I do 3 hiit workouts per week, but no cardio or strength training...any suggestions?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting isn't for everyone...there are a lot of diets out there for that very reason. If it were me personally I'd do South Beach as it has phases, with the final phase being a maintenance phase and more or less the way you're supposed to eat the rest of your life.

While I didn't specifically do South Beach, the way I ate to lose and the way I eat to maintain are quite similar to phase III of South Beach.

If I were to do an actual diet, that would be the one...there's an exit plan, and that's important long term.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Being aware of how much you're eating is the answer - how you go about that is the question. I wonder though why you did not like counting? Did you feel your calorie limit was too restrictive? Not like logging in, or did it seem too complex to figure out how to log accurately?

If you're back up to 328 after a few weeks off MFP then what you've been doing the past few weeks is not working.

Exercise is great for fitness/health and for having a higher calorie allowance. But being in a deficit (more calories out than in) is the ONLY way to lose.

Logging calories accurately is a good way to make sure you're in a deficit. At 328 pounds as a 29 year old male you should be able to eat 2000-2500 calories a day and still lose weight. The BMR for your goal weight would be approximately 2150-2200. Meaning that at your goal weight, without exercise and assuming a fairly sedentary lifestyle, you would need ~2500-2700 to maintain.

So you could give logging another try, or maybe keep a written food log, where you're not so concerned with calorie counts but being accountable for your food choices/quantities. Give it 3-4 weeks and if its working for you, keep at it. If not, reevaluate. Ultimately you may just need to bite the bullet and log calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At 328 lb I can certainly guarantee that you know exactly what you need to do to lose weight without calorie counting. Look at yourself. See what you like to eat. Evaluate it from the perspective of sensory delight and from the perspective of nutritional value. What are your priorities? Is sensory delight your overriding objective? In that case, you serve your belly.

If nutritional value is more valuable to you, you can easily avoid the delightful stuff and just eat the valuable stuff and lose a ton of weight.

How old are you?
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Give yourself a structured eating plan and eat nutritious balanced meals. Cut out snacking. The fewer times a day you eat, the fewer times a day you'll have to overeat. By not snacking you'll also be hungry when it comes time to eat which is a good thing. When you're hungry before eating it's easier to recognize you're full because the change is more pronounced.

Weigh yourself daily to keep yourself mindful and on track and give it a month or two to see what your weight does. Make adjustments as needed. Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Before I discovered mfp I reduced my cals by cutting out carbs from my evening meal...
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Without accurately counting calories you will never know how many calories you are truly consuming.

Yes, you could try one of the many fad diets out there, but if you can't commit to calorie counting you will find the alternatives much harder and I say that as someone who was a former fad dieter.

You've already learned you can't outrun a bad diet. You can exercise until you're blue in the face, but if you're overeating, you're overeating.

The truth is you're just going to have to return to counting and weighing your food. It's really the only thing that is sustainable and will work over the long term.

You have to want this more than you want food.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    bmayes2014 wrote: »
    Depending on your tolerance for repetition, you could eat the same or similar meal each day. A lot of people do that. For example: Breakfast: 2 eggs+ toast + coffee with cream. Lunch - 4 oz chicken, broccoli, half cup of rice/sweet potato. Snack: Greek yogurt and apple. Dinner: salad with tuna. Etc. These are just random examples. My point is, if you hate counting, then count the calories in a day you enjoy the food and stick to it. I don't do this but it's one suggestion if you are annoyed with daily calculations of calories. So maybe you food prep on Sunday and eat it planned the next 5 days. just a suggestion.

I do this a lot. Makes things super easy! :)
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    everher wrote: »
    Without accurately counting calories you will never know how many calories you are truly consuming.

Yes, you could try one of the many fad diets out there, but if you can't commit to calorie counting you will find the alternatives much harder and I say that as someone who was a former fad dieter.

You've already learned you can't outrun a bad diet. You can exercise until you're blue in the face, but if you're overeating, you're overeating.

The truth is you're just going to have to return to counting and weighing your food. It's really the only thing that is sustainable and will work over the long term.

I don't know that you can accurately determine that calorie counting is the only method that will work for this individual.

Sustainability varies from person to person and tracking is not a universally sustainable method any more or less than weight watchers or low carb or paleo.

Maybe I should have proceeded this with "IMHO and in my experience."

But I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts if OP is annoyed at calorie counting OP will really be annoyed at restricting certain groups of foods.

The problem with diets like those is sooner or later people go off the program and when they do they can't sustain the loss.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »

I don't know that you can accurately determine that calorie counting is the only method that will work for this individual.

Sustainability varies from person to person and tracking is not a universally sustainable method any more or less than weight watchers or low carb or paleo.

Maybe I should have proceeded this with "IMHO and in my experience."

But I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts if OP is annoyed at calorie counting OP will really be annoyed at restricting certain groups of foods.

The problem with diets like those is sooner or later people go off the program and when they do they can't sustain the loss

The way you are describing this it seems like you are suggesting that there are only two methods.

Counting, or restricting entire groups of foods.