Alcohol

Options

Replies

• clenieralley
    clenieralley Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I understand that it may vary. Alcohol can make you less vigilant about keeping track of calories. Alcohol is a big carbohydrate and may put your carbos out of balance. It is not always a calories in verses energy out calculation for weight loss. There are situations where your body stores simple carbos as fat before they can be burned. You put on weight/increase your fat content, while staying within your calorie plan. But in general, if you are a normal healthy young person (under 40) then sure, go for it and enjoy :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Just make room for it in your calorie goal. I'm going with the idea of having a beer or 2 with a meal or as a way to unwind for the day. As someone said, watch how much you eat if you're prone to the drunk munchies.

Also, this might help you choose a lower calorie beer - http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    z4oslo wrote: »
    Is drinking a beer or two everyday really that important in a very short period of your life you are trying to lose weight, and improve your health?

Dont worry, someone further down in this thread will tell you you are fine - you can drink as much beer as you want, as long as it fits your calories.
    Someone will probably also point out that you dont need to exercise to lose weight.

What is the point of this post?

Do you disagree that one will lose weight in a calorie deficit even if one is drinking beer?

Do you disagree that one can lose weight without exercise?

If OP brought the question to the doctor. You think the doctor would say: Sure, as long as it fits your calories?

My dad's GP prescribed him beer as a way to deal with his kidney stones.

It's hard to believe, but many people can moderate their alcohol consumption.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, yes, you can.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    alcohol makes me hungry so i cut it out entirely. Ill go for a beer with friends but i have to stick to one when out of ill come home and want to binge eat my entire fridge... Id sugegst if you want alcohol you go with a low weight loss for the week (.5-1lb tops)

Not much room for alcohol on a 1200 calorie a day for me :(
  • ShammersPink
    ShammersPink Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    If you'd feel deprived without the beers, then start off by trying to establish a decent calorie deficit and well-balanced diet while having your daily pint, but be ready to re-assess your progress down the line.

It might be that you can keep the alcohol consumption to a healthy level, and that you can eat within your limits and not make sub-optimal food choices. But some find that the calories spent on beer would be better spent elsewhere for less hunger, either partially or totally. And some find that they make poorer food choices when they have drunk alcohol.

Personally, I reduce alcohol while dieting, but don't cut it out entirely. Even when I'm not dieting, I try to keep to health guidelines for alcohol consumption.

You'll probably find it easier to balance calories if you usually keep to "a beer" per day, rather than "or two".
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    And, if the OP can truly contain that to one or two, there is actually a lot of evidence that actually show health benefits to drinking in alcohol in moderation...

I've read studies that link red wine to health benefits, but never just blanket "alcohol".
    But like I said...likely you are a prohibitionist...

There's a lot of valid reasons to cut alcohol out of your diet when trying to drop weight, and they have nothing to do with the calories in the alcohol. Many people struggle with self-control when they drink, and end up eating more calories as a result. It's a simple fact that alcohol impairs cognitive thinking, and for a lot of people maintaining a calorie deficit is already difficult enough when sober.

I am no prohibitionist, so don't even think I'm against drinking. But I've learned the hard way - I'll be more successful on a calorie deficit if I don't drink. I think this is a safe bet for most people.

The OP asked if it's possible. My answer would be: yes, "possible", but it will be harder. And losing weight, or body fat, is already hard enough.

And there's something else to consider as well: alcoholism. If you can't stop drinking to facilitate weight loss, you may have a very legitimate problem for which you should seek professional help.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    And now let us all sing:

"Oh demon alcohol,
    Memories I cannot recall,
    Who thought I would fall a slave to demon alcohol.
    Barley wine, pink gin,
    I'll drink anything,
    Port, pernod or tequila,
    Rum, scotch, vodka on the rocks,
    As long as all my troubles disappear."
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    The sheer stupidity of this forum ....
    Anyway OP, you got the answer you wanted.

Sounds like someone needs a beer....
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    From personal experience - a hearty Yes! Keep in mind you are ingesting ~300 calories that you don't need, but are oh so delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    And, if the OP can truly contain that to one or two, there is actually a lot of evidence that actually show health benefits to drinking in alcohol in moderation...

I've read studies that link red wine to health benefits, but never just blanket "alcohol".
    But like I said...likely you are a prohibitionist...

There's a lot of valid reasons to cut alcohol out of your diet when trying to drop weight, and they have nothing to do with the calories in the alcohol. Many people struggle with self-control when they drink, and end up eating more calories as a result. It's a simple fact that alcohol impairs cognitive thinking, and for a lot of people maintaining a calorie deficit is already difficult enough when sober.

I am no prohibitionist, so don't even think I'm against drinking. But I've learned the hard way - I'll be more successful on a calorie deficit if I don't drink. I think this is a safe bet for most people.

The OP asked if it's possible. My answer would be: yes, "possible", but it will be harder. And losing weight, or body fat, is already hard enough.

And there's something else to consider as well: alcoholism. If you can't stop drinking to facilitate weight loss, you may have a very legitimate problem for which you should seek professional help.

I think I addressed all of that in my original post...I too have a much easier time and I stated that...I also stated that it was possible which was the actual question.

z4oslo said nothing to justify any position...just that everyone was stupid, etc and that's what I was responding to...sounds very much like an alcohol is evil prohibitionist...I know a few...
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I drink a glass of wine or 2 most every night and I've been losing fine.
    I gave up drinking for a month for my marathon training but I turned into this huge witch towards my husband and kids. So for everyone's sanity, i need my one or 2 glasses of wine every night.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking for a month for my marathon training but I turned into this huge witch towards my husband and kids. So for everyone's sanity, i need my one or 2 glasses of wine every night.

Girl if that's what gets you through I'm not mad atcha! LOL!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    Actually iv noticed when my weight stalls drinking wine helps it stop XD Makes me pee alot i guess, But it actually stays off. Obviously this is just when im retaining water and been losing weight but its kind of fun XD
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    for sure, go work it off
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

I'm currently alcohol free during the week (which is a pretty big baby step for me) and I'm going alcohol free in January...this is definitely one of my concerns...
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Is drinking a beer or two everyday really that important in a very short period of your life you are trying to lose weight, and improve your health?

Dont worry, someone further down in this thread will tell you you are fine - you can drink as much beer as you want, as long as it fits your calories.
    Someone will probably also point out that you dont need to exercise to lose weight.

What is the point of this post?

Do you disagree that one will lose weight in a calorie deficit even if one is drinking beer?

Do you disagree that one can lose weight without exercise?

If OP brought the question to the doctor. You think the doctor would say: Sure, as long as it fits your calories?

Most physicians would not have the knowledge required to make an informed statement on weight loss. Most of my colleagues would say something to the effect "Sure, just drink in moderation".
  • danjbadassery
    danjbadassery Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    gbggurl91 wrote: »
    Can you drink a beer or two almost everyday and still lose weight if you exercise and watch what you eat?

I would read on the effects of alcohol on the metabolism. Since alcohol cannot be stored in the body it must be processed and your liver will be working on that and not the food you have consumed. Google it and read from a reputable web site :)
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    So a beer belly is just over consumption of calories that turns into fat in the midsection? Why do men have bigger beer bellies than woman, who also over consume calories.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2016
    Options
    So a beer belly is just over consumption of calories that turns into fat in the midsection? Why do men have bigger beer bellies than woman, who also over consume calories.

Google "android vs. gynoid fat distribution".

No particular calories selectively turn into fat in the midsection.