Craving mexican food...

Options
1235»

Replies

• Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I always give this recipe because it literally is the easiest thing you will ever make in your life. Take 1-2 lbs of organic chicken breasts. Put them in the crockpot, pour a jar of your favorite salsa on top. Cook for 3-4 hours on slow/low.

The chicken literally shredds apart, add to a whole wheat tortilla, daisy reduced fat sour cream, kraft reduced fat colby jack shredded cheese, and a hint of lime juice.

All about 300-450 calories, based on 3 tacos.

drooooooool
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    Breakfast Burritos:

6" flour tortillas or WW equivalent
    12 eggs
    skim milk, or whatever your preference is for scrambling with eggs
    diced red and orange peppers
    diced onion
    diced green onion
    diced fresh tomatoes, seeded [otherwise the juice makes them soggy]
    browned ground sausage meat [optional]
    salsa
    shredded cheddar

I make these on Sunday night, so I have them ready all week. I'm usually racing out the door and this beats a trip to McD's on my way to work.

Add eggs, peppers and onion to a PAMd frying pan. Cook the scrambled eggs and milk halfway, then add the tomatoes. Let the eggs cool to room temperature [important - if you don't do this, when you put them in the fridge, they will get soggy]. Place a portion of the egg mixture on each tortilla, add a little shredded cheddar, fold, wrap in a paper towel, then in waxed paper. Refrigerate. Microwave 45 seconds, unwrap and add salsa, then re-wrap and voila! You're ready to go!
  • jhays2359
    jhays2359 Posts: 2
    Options
    I go to mexican restaraunts and order fajitas. Just eat the beef, chicken, or shrimp and veggies only. No tortillas, beans, rice or condiments. Cures my cravings and it has got to be healthy. It is only meat and vegetables. I believe the atmosphere cures the cravings also. Good luck.
  • TNGirlyGirl
    TNGirlyGirl Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump -- I'm trying some of these for dinner this week!! YUMMMMM
  • lrgarza82
    lrgarza82 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I made this mexican casserole last night, and it totally satisfied my craving!!!! It is so delicious, it's hard to believe its healthy!!!

Servings: 4 (but could feed 5 comfortably)
    Per Serving: Calories (411), Carbs (44), Fat (12), Protein (30)

Ingredients

1 tablespoons Olive oil
    3/4 pound cubed skinless, boneless chicken breast meat
    2 tablespoons package taco seasoning mix
    1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 (8.75 ounce) can sweet corn, drained
    1/4 cup salsa
    water as needed
    1/2 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
    2 servings Tostitos Baked Scooped Chips

Directions

1) In a large skillet over medium high heat, saute chicken in oil until cooked through and no longer pink inside. Add taco seasoning, beans, corn, salsa and a little water to prevent drying out. Cover skillet and simmer over medium low heat for 10 minutes.
    2) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    3) Transfer chicken mixture to a 9x13 inch baking dish. Top with 1/4 cup of the cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
    4) Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup cheese and bake until cheese is melted and bubbly.
  • westonkamom
    Options
    This is what I had for dinner last night:

Don Pancho - High Fiber Low Carb Low Fat Tortilla Wraps...only 70 calories each
    I take the tortilla wrap and lay it over a paper cup and make 4 folds on it to form a taco bowl over the cup. Microwave for 1.5 minutes and take out....homemade taco salad bowl.

1/4 cup 2% cottage cheese, 2 Tbs water, 1 Tbs taco seasoning mix
    put it in the blender on liquify----makes an awesome southwest dip/dressing depending on how much water you put in....this is only 50 calories and tastes amazing (ps. you can also make this with Hidden Valley ranch seasoning for a much healthier ranch dressing/dip)

1 baked/grilled chicken breast

As much spinach or lettuce as you want

1/4 cup black beans

Put the spinach, beans, chicken and any other vegetables you want in the taco bowl and pour on the dressing on top.

Additional tortilla....microwave for 1.5 minutes flat and take out and break into chips.

2 tbs salsa (my favorite is locally made Salsa Lisa...tastes like I made it)....you can basically eat as much as you want of salsa...the 2tbs is only 15 calories.

So you get an awesome taco salad and chips and salsa for about 350 calories
  • workinprogress12_2
    workinprogress12_2 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    bumping this thread for sure. I never gave up Mexican food. Just lowered my portion size and watched those baskets of chips. My favorite restaurant in town is locally owned and because we are there once or twice a week they have started to cater to my diet needs. A chicken fajita nacho is now a chicken fajita salad. They will load me up on the grilled veggies, too. Just ask, most places will work with ya, plus you get that "I'm eating out" feeling.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bumping this thread for sure. I never gave up Mexican food. Just lowered my portion size and watched those baskets of chips. My favorite restaurant in town is locally owned and because we are there once or twice a week they have started to cater to my diet needs. A chicken fajita nacho is now a chicken fajita salad. They will load me up on the grilled veggies, too. Just ask, most places will work with ya, plus you get that "I'm eating out" feeling.

i like that idea.. asking for grilled veggies for my salad. thanks!
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ohmigoodness I love Mexican!

I found this blog post recently, you might like to check it out too - all the flavours of a yummy Mexican meal, but so much fresher and brighter - yum!

http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2011/07/raw-taco-fiesta.html
  • elucke
    elucke Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • bmramsey0614
    bmramsey0614 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Runner's World's website has a good enchiladas recipe!
  • chaley130
    chaley130 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just made super yummy chicken fajitas. I love my mexican food and cannot give it up.

I use boneless skinless chicken breast and pound it out thin with my meat tenderizer.

-then squeeze fresh lemon juice and a few sprinkles of rosemary and throw on the grill (with the chicken being so thin it cooks quick)
    -let chicken set for a minute before slicing it up
    -seperately I sautee onions, mushrooms, and bell peppers (in my wok with a tiny bit of olive oil)
    -serve with La Banderita whole wheat fajita tortillas (I think it is 2 tortillas for 80 calories)
    -and low fat refried beans

There are lots of low cal options for toppings--I use lots of lettuce, low fat cheese, and salsa.
  • merew19
    merew19 Posts: 21
    Options
    I always give this recipe because it literally is the easiest thing you will ever make in your life. Take 1-2 lbs of organic chicken breasts. Put them in the crockpot, pour a jar of your favorite salsa on top. Cook for 3-4 hours on slow/low.

The chicken literally shredds apart, add to a whole wheat tortilla, daisy reduced fat sour cream, kraft reduced fat colby jack shredded cheese, and a hint of lime juice.

All about 300-450 calories, based on 3 tacos.

That's the best recipe, I haven't done that in a while but now that you mentioned it, I'm going to :) Thanks for bringing it up!
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Adding this instead of a "bump". If you are out and about and have your craving, Taco Bell has a great "Fresco" menu for lower calorie choices. Love their soft chicken tacos, crispy beef tacos, and soft bean burritos.
  • mgravy
    mgravy Posts: 47
    Options
    BUMP!

I love Mexican food!

Burritos are my favorite. When I make them at home (or order them at a a restaurant), I stick to whole wheat tortillas, grilled chicken and tons of veggies--and I avoid the rice, cheese, sour cream and corn. If you order a burrito at a restaurant (or at least the one I usually go to) the majority of the filling is rice, so skipping that alone takes out a lot of calories and carbs.
  • jaded_rose
    jaded_rose Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I've found Mexican to be quite healthy for me. I just make it from home and I found a good recipe for homemade taco seasoning. I add that when I'm browning the meat (beef or chicken) and find it taste real good and isn't too high in calories. I also drain the meat before I use it. Besides spicy foods have been known to kick start your metabolism.

I found the taco seasoning recipe on allrecipe.com and cut back on the salt it calls for

• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    • 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
    • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
    • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    • 1 teaspoon sea salt
    • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Okay I don't know HOW to make these, but I am definately going to try sometime. I was out at a baja mex type place and they had Jicama tacos .... not filled w/ Jicama, but MADE from Jicama!!! So no flour/corn tortilla!!!

Also using the quinoa instead of rice was a great idea someone said already.

Chicken fajita lettuce cups (hungry girl recipe) use lettuce put in chicken, bell peppers,onions, guac, salsa, fat free sour cream and fajita seasoning. (190 calories for 3 lettuce cups)

Make little mini quessadias with corn/blackbeans/low fat cheese/spices/bell peppers inside of griddled wonton wraps.
  • kaaatielove
    kaaatielove Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Ok so before I left for work this morning I threw some frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot with a jar of salsa on top!! :)
    I hope it turns out good!! Thanks for all the great recipes! :)
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I love, love, love Mexican food! Living in TexMex heaven doesn't help either... Last night we had tostadas and they were low cal and oh so good! 460 calories covered 2 tostadas with retried beans, cheese, ground beef, lettuce, tomatoes and avocados. Of course, low fat/reduced fat/fat free was the key to the refried beans; but it was still oh so delicious! Seasoned the beef with onions, bell peppers, poblano peppers and spicy tomatoes.
  • mummyflippers
    Options
    Marinade some chicken breast strips in a little bit of olive oil, the zest and juice of a lime or two, a tbsp of hot chilli powder, a tbsp of paprika, a tbsp of smoked paprika and a pinch of cayenne (use more of these if you want more heat).

Leave to marinade for an hour, then saute, and serve with large lettuce leaves to wrap it in (or tortillas if you prefer), salsa and 0% fat greek yoghurt. Yum!